main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT So are the stormtroopers clones or what ??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SarlacsDinnerParty, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    There still has to be non-clone recruits thrown in somewhere though. There's all the stories of stormtroopers, low ranking officers and pilots that defect to the rebellion, and none of them are clones.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Simple solution: Some are clones, some are recruits.

Everyone's happy.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and mikeximus like this.
  3. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    There must be conditioning involved for the recruited troopers, then. Otherwise, you have clones designed for the job working alongside non-clones that received training for the same job, which leaves a gap in performance between the two types of troopers. I always imagined that natural born recruits received conditioning and augmentation previously illegal under the republic in order to make them on par with clones.

4. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014

Here is a link from Rebels Recon confirming that the Stormtroopers are NOT clones at this point in time, which is 14 years after the Clone wars. Pablo Hidalgo confirms this at 02:55 on the video. So the troopers in the OT are not clones. They have been phased out of service.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or at least, the vast majority aren't.

Still:

6. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Well if Rebels shows clones as troopers I would be inclined to agree with that. But since Rebels is canon and I see no proof to the contrary, I am inclined to believe that there are no more clones in imperial service.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not sure where "movie commentary" and "series commentary" fall on the canon chart, when compared to the movies and the serieses themselves.

8. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    I don't know either. But Pablo Hidalgo already stated that there are no clones in imperial service during the time of Rebels, which he is a creator of the show and the show is canon. And I don't really see anything to that solidly states that there are clones being used in the OT. So if they are not being used on Rebels I don't think that there would be any reason for them to be used in anything further at this point. It is just my take on it though. I am not claiming to be right or wrong on this subject, I am just inclined to believe that the clones are no longer being used.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I suppose it makes sense that "new commentary" supersedes old ones just as new versions of scenes (Special Edition etc) supersede old ones.

10. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Well I wouldn't say that necessarily, but just going on what Hidalgo said about the Rebels scenario I just feel he said that for a reason. It was more or less to let others know where the clones fit into this new storyline. Because a lot of people ask about clones concerning this show. And he just made it easy for people to understand that people expecting to see well known clones on this show probably won't see any. I have no problem with the clones, but I personally just don't think there were any in service at this time. If there were clones in imperial service I would like to think that they would create more competent soldiers than what is portrayed in Rebels as well as the OT? No matter who the template is?

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We know at least (from AOTC) that there were embryonic clones at the start of the war. At double the growth rate of humans, even if production stopped the moment the Clone Wars ended, these clones should be physically in their thirties at the latest, as of Rebels.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah I agree. But I just think that the creators of Rebels may have wanted to distance themselves from TCW? Just so they can give the new show its own identity and not cling off of TCW?

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Possibly. We'll have to wait and see - though there's loose connections already - Hera shares a name with a TCW character (Syndulla).

14. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014

"I'm so confused." - C3PO

15. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014
    Filloni is really starting to piss me off with his Disney era work...

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Which is why I've not even been paying attention to it lol. Honestly, literally the only detail I know about Rebels is it's some ship crew, one's a wannabe Jedi, and there's a weird droid lol

mikeximus and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  17. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Obeying any order without question like they did with Order 66, killing all the Jedi they had known for years.

This is too individualistic?

Human volunteers in that same situation would be more likely to do it?

what?

18. Darth Zannah

Oct 28, 2014

I know, sounds stupid doesn't it? The notion of replacing CLONES with individual citizens because clones were too independent sounds so (Mod edit: You have to star out the whole word) stupid it makes me want to laugh. You want to change the stormtroopers into individuals, fine...but come up with a better reason than that!

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think in an EU book, the rationale given was - "A clone army is either 100% with you or 100% against you" - with the Empire worrying that if someone "turns" one clone, that method can be used to turn them all away from their original side.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Clonetroopers who disobeyed the orders of Pong Krell is a prime example of this. They didn't follow the Jedi Master's orders and as a result, the clones fought against him. That kind of disobedience rankled Palpatine and was made worse when some of the Clonetroopers didn't kill the Jedi when Order 66 was issued. The Stormtroopers were recruited because up until a certain point, they were completely loyal and followed orders. Order 66 was a chip that probably malfunctioned like it did in season six.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    The question that is asked to Filloni is about the nature of the Stormtroopers in the Rebels series, not the whole SW franchise. So the Stormtroopers in Rebels may no longer be clones but that does not mean this is so in the live action films, he isn't answering about their nature in the films or other parts of the franchise. Though I think he is trying to pass off the question and his answer that they do pertain to the whole franchise, the fallacy of composition.

The thing is there is now alot of contradicting info out there about what Stormtroopers are. The films themselves suggest they are clones, which is the most simple and least convoluted answer. It also fits with the Empire's MO, literally using throw away manufactured people, this idea fits hand in glove with the whole portrayal of the empire as a cold machine oriented society.

I think the main reason they are now saying Stormtroopers are not clones is corporate politics. Anytime a new regime takes over, first thing they do is clean house by sweeping away all of the former regime's stuff. This is why TCW was canned, and why Disney wanted to create their own show. They also want to distance their new show from the old one by removing the clones which are the namesake of the old series.

22. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    No they just aren't clones... :)

23. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Bull honky. Nothing in the OT films suggest they're clones - they don't sound like the clones and they can't aim like the clones for starters.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I mean, I know what Filoni says, but I think it would make a lot more sense if there were still a few Jango clones in the Stormtrooper Corps, even if the vast majority are normal recruits. Like people have said, there should still be some clones left over from the prequel era that are still of fighting age, even with the growth acceleration. If none of them are stormtroopers, then they still have to be accounted for somehow.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    All the stormtroopers in ANH, while not having Jango's voice, they all had the same voice which would be strange if they were not clones. Even Kevin Murphy from Rifftrax when he riffed ANH asked why do all the Stormtroopers sound alike, and that they all must be cloned from a 80 year old math teacher LOL. If you wanted to portray a clone army in the pre CGI days, you probably dress them up in armor that hides their faces and makes them all look the same. As was stated before, the stormtroopers were missing on purpose to allow the heros to get away so they could be tracked. Even Obi-Wan talks about how accurate their hits are on the Sandcrawler. Obi-Wan seems very familar with how Stormtroopers operate which would only make sense if they are still clones and he knew how to handle them from the clone wars. There is also nothing in the films to indicate that clone production has stopped, it is only Filoni pulling it out of his rear.Plus the famous head bumping stormtrooper is a clone beyond doubt, GL himself has said so, the head bumping Stormtrooper also talks without a Jango voice yet he is still a clone, no matter what Filoni says, he can't change the films no matter how much he wants to. Hopefully he is not trying to retcon the films from the outside with the spinoffs.

ANH also indicates that the Empire is already unpopular and it is hard to recruit people to an unpopular side, and you don't want to your serfs to know how to fight either. There is a deleted ANH scene where Biggs warns Luke that the Empire plans on turning everyone into serfs and do away with priviate enterprise. Using clones to fight would have helped make the empire popular in the early days since constituntes were not dying on battlefields.

I think what many fans don't want to accept is that there are differences between the films and the two series. TCW had many changes from the PT films, like having Maul survive when he was clearly dead in TPM and making the LAAT gunships which were aircraft in the films, spacecraft in the series, and silly clone control chips that make no sense. It should be no surprise that some things in Rebels would also be changed. Look at Stargate and the series SG1, they changed alot of things around to adapt Stargate into a TV series form. Same thing with Star Wars and other movies turned into TV series. They just should be looked at on their own instead of trying to make them fit when they do not.

It seems everyone in Lucas Films loves to flip flop despite what the films visually tells us.

RedVad, Death Wizard and SlashMan like this.