main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA So Cal Fanforces beach day - August 12 in Huntington Beach

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Miana Kenobi, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hey guys. James (your James, not our James :p ) tossed an idea out to me to see if there would be any interest in having a multi-group meet sometime this summer (meaning LA, OC, IE, & SD). Just a fun day of chilling at the beach, probably BBQ, some sports, etc.

We're seeing if there is much of an interest first before we start figuring out dates and such, so post if you're interested!

[image=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/legomania5/robinmen.jpg]

"Are you with me? Yay or nay?"

"... Which one means yes?"

"Yay."

"YAY!"

2. Zhi-don

Zhi-don Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2005
    Interested, I am. Go, I would.

My family would want to go too. We enjoyed the last one.

3. LizardJedi

LizardJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    JA!

I also figure if its going to be OC and SD, chances are I won't have to drive horribly far :p

4. tiepilottillard1701

tiepilottillard1701 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 10, 2003
  5. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    Aye, count me in!

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'd probably be in OC, since that's middle ground for the 4 groups (beach-wise, it is. Especially because Northern SD beaches = blah. :p )

7. Enforcer_Draconus

Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
  8. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    As long as it's after Comic-Con, I'll go.

I have too much work to do to go play for a day, before then!
    :eek:

9. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Ok, if it's after ComicCon would love to sneak down to this. I soooo need a get-away.

So, if your two members who live the furthest away can come and play on the beach with you guys... we are so there!:D :cool:

10. LizardJedi

Sep 29, 2005
    I think James said something about it being the August event in the event thread.

So so, where are we going? :p:D

11. Robeewankenobe

Robeewankenobe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 29, 2004
  12. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Throws frisbie.....

Beach trip will be cool, i'll defo be there! Have to get some sun on this pasty white british skin of mine!

13. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    This looks like it's going to be greenlighted, so we need to thinking about location. Someplace clean, with water that you would actually want to swim in, and a place we could stay at from like 11 am0ish, to 10 pm-ish. Probably a BBQ, and a bonfire would be nice too, but we could always bring a BBQ, and just light someones car on fire.

[image=http://www.millvillefire.org/images/Vehicle_fire_jaws/Car_Fire_2.jpg]

and we should get a date squared away too.

14. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Whose car?
    Please don't pick August 19th or 20th I'll be in NYC.

15. tiepilottillard1701

tiepilottillard1701 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 10, 2003
    Oh, forget about burnina a car, just bring some force lightning

[image=http://216.127.78.103/~dutch-starwars]

and serve BBQ Anakin

[image=http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xdv7o5EP_YAD76jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12jllq2ab/EXP=1150304239/**http%3a//quiobitemple2.homestead.com/files/epIIIpics/anakin45.jpg]

Can someone fix this so that the images show [face_praying]

16. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Sunday, Aug 13th we will be on our way to Vegas! (THANK YOU!! Lord and Lady Vader.. Whoo Hoo!) However, if its on that Sat (12th) we should be able to make it

17. LizardJedi

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, since from reading the SD boards, its def. going to be in OC... time for Liz's Soapbox Hour (or 5 minutes)
    <soapbox>

So, ya want to hear about South OC beaches, eh? Well I happen to know of a couple that could be good party spots.
    These have been picked because I've been to parties there, and they both have fire pits. You can't have a beach party (esp. at night) without a bonfire. Its a moral imperitive.

Hole in the Fence
    This is technicly located inside Doheny State Beach, but most people consider DoHo to be a differen't area.

Parking can be weird ($10 to park inside the park, but there is a bridge over train tracks to get in, from parking on PCH. [Anecdote: The name "hole in the fence" comes from the fact that most people, esp. surfers don't want to walk up that stupid bridge, so they would cut holes in the fence around the train tracks. The city, upset at fixing a new hole every week, and the liability of people walking on the tracks, put in this uber-hardcore fence that is like, impossible to cut, so now you really have to walk the bridge, but the legacy of the holes lives on])

It its really easy to get too, considering its not far from the I-5, and there is very little navigating to get there.

There are also a good number of fire pits, so finding a spot, even in summer if you're somewhat early, is not to hard.

However, if water is your thing, I can't forget to point out that DoHo is imfamously the most polluted state beach in the state. This problem however, is focused more toward the harbor (auctally, its because of the harbor, but thats another soapbox) Hole in the Fence is far enough away not to worry too much about it, but its still a potential issue, especailly if it rains. Also, as most beaches around here, its rocky in the water.

Aliso Beach

This is smaller than Hole in the Fence, and because of that can be more crowded. But it dosn't have the nasty-water stigma that the DP area has, although I woulden't trust that 5 y/o on the body board next to you.

Parking is a pain. Its metered, but the lot is small. It also fills up kind of fast. Unlike Hole-n-fence, there isn't really any alternative parking.

Its located right off of PCH, kind of in the area of limbo between Monarch Beach (Dana Point) and South Laguna Beach. Your best bet on a fwy off-ramp would again be Beach Cities, and then you have to go PCH all though DP toward Laguna Beach. From the North, I really don't know exactly how you would do this, but I would guess getting on PCH as close as you can, and just braving the horrendous Laguna Beach traffic. Or take the long way, get off at either Beach Cities, or Camino Cap, and go north.

This is a much smaller beach then Hole-n-Fence. It crowds up pretty fast, so we would probably need to make a consious effort to get there early. I think theres only something like 5 pits, but I can find that number later. Also there are a lot more people that are just there for the beach, as opposed to using the pits, so it tends to be more crowded.

I really don't know about the water. Its probably just like every other beach, and rocky. It is not known for nastyness (like DoHo) but I'm pretty sure there are warning signs saying not to go in after it rains. I'm pretty sure all of the beaches around here have those.

Summery:
    Hole-in-the-Fence
    PROS:
    -> Easy to get to
    -> Can hold a big group without being too crowded
    -> Pretty easy to get a good spot, even in Summer
    -> Its where me and my friends normally go for bonfires, so thats an automatic pro :p
    CONS:
    -> Bad rep for nasty water
    -> Parking can be a pain
    -> Closes at 10pm, Park Rangers patrol, and get mad if you stay late

Aliso Beach
    PROS:
    -> Isn't known as much for nasty water
    -> Not next to big road (PCH is only 2 lanes) so argurbly more pretty
    -> Small
    CONS:
    -> Pain in the butt to get to
    -> Parking is unpredictable, and scarce
    -> Limited number of pits, so you really have to get there early to claim on

18. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    I like Seal beach but I've not noticed if it has bonfire pits.

19. Zhi-don

Mar 22, 2005
    WOW! That was some soapbox Liz! About the size of a Star Destroyer!

Hmmmm.....south of Laguna.

Well there is of course laguan Beach itself...no...wait, no fire pits. That's out.

Next up, Newport Beach...Nope, too many yuppies.

Huntington Beach....too many people.

Bolsa Chica....site of our last beach party. Has fire pits. Could be da place to be.

Seal Beach....not a chance.

Others opinions?

20. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Bonfire pits would have to be a must I would say.

21. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    where was this? 2003

22. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    thats Huntington PCH and Dolphin it looks like to me thats definatly NOT bolsa chica

23. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Funnily enough, it gives the location right at the top of that page. I think that was near PCH and Beach Blvd. You can see "The Beach Hut" in the background as well as the Hyatt Regency HB resort. I don't remember why we chose that location, but it was really easy to get to (just take Beach Blvd all the way to the beach and look for the banner).

24. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    like i said PCH and Dolphin is where the Hyatt is at

25. Zhi-don

Mar 22, 2005
    Sorry, my error. Huntington Beach and Bolsa Chica look about the same. Both have fire pits. We can do either. Bolsa Chica is just down the road about 10 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.