main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends So Close Redux

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Soulman1, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soulman1

Soulman1 Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2008
    Title: So Close Redux
    Author: Soulman1
    Timeframe:between Corillian Trilogy and Specter of the Past
    Characters: Luke, Mara, Han and Leia
    Genre: Romance, Humor
    Summary: Same story, Different ending.
    notes: Let me know which ending you like better.

So Close

Mara could only remember being this angry once in her life and she?d wanted to kill Skywalker then too! Only this time it was his sister that was drawing most of her ire. Luke was still on her bad side because he was going along with Leia?s hair-brained scheme. Luke, Mara, Han and Leia were sitting at a table in the grand ballroom in the imperial palace where lavish events were held to celebrate victories, welcome new members to the New Republic and honor visiting dignitaries in hopes of enticing them to join. The latter is what tonight?s event was for and Leia wanted Mara to be part of the floorshow.

?I know this a lot to ask Mara,? Leia conceded. ?But it?s the only way Ambassador Durgha would agree negotiate membership into the New Republic.?

The ambassador represented a system that had recently won its independence from the empire and held strategic as well as technological importance. Before its independence it had been a major producer of shield technology for the empire and now the New Republic hoped to make use of those facilities.

?He wants to meet the happy couple in person.? She finished.

?But we?re not a couple!? Mara fumed.

?I know and I tried to convince him of that but he reads those cheap holojournals, especially the stories about you two and since Luke is my brother he figures I?m just trying to cover for you.? Leia answered.

Luke and Mara had been rumored to be an item many times over the years and not even their outright denials could stop the press from writing more stories or putting out new holos of them together somewhere and implying that they were merely trying to keep their relationship a secret. Obviously there were those who would believe it no matter what. She looked around the ballroom for a moment. All around them, the room was a bustle of activity as crews finished final preparations for the event. She thought back on all the previous times she had attended an affair in this room; first as part of the emperor?s court and later representing Karrde when the New Republic started putting them on.
    For years she?d looked back on her time as the emperor?s hand as the highlight of her life but now she realized that he?d used her for his own purposes and not just in the missions he assigned her but also as fluff at parties to entice certain individuals that Palpatine wanted something from. She was a tool to be used as needed and discarded when it outlived its usefulness. She?d realized this on Wayland and decided, then and there, that she would never allow herself to be used like that again and she had no intention of changing her mind now.

?I?m not pretending to be in love with anyone, especially not him!? She nodded her head to indicate Luke.

She both felt in the force and saw him visibly flinch at her words and instantly felt guilty. She hadn?t meant to hurt him but since he was agreeing to this he deserved some punishment. Her guilt seemed to take the edge off her anger and she turned and gave Luke a sheepish look.

?I?m sorry,? She said. ?I didn?t mean it that way.? Luke shrugged and gave a half smile.

?Its ok,? he answered. ?That?s the story of my life,? he said in a tone that was only half joking.

Mara could feel the loneliness and deep pain inside him and silently vowed swift and violent retribution if she ever laid eyes on Callista again. Feeling a little calmer she continued.

?I?m not part of the New Republic, I work for Karrde remember? It?s not my job to help you win converts. Find some other way to get him to the table. You?re the master diplomat; you should be able to come up with something.?

?I?ve tried everything I can think of and we?ve run into a permacrete wall.? Leia answered. ?You have no idea how frustrating it is to have to resort to this kind of chican

2. jadesabre75

jadesabre75 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 14, 2007
    Yeah, I like this ending MUCH better. LOL

3. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I'm going to go ahead and put my vote in for this ending too.

4. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    i vote for this one :D

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

5. Soulman1

Soulman1 Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. life got busy for awhile but I finally was able to reply. hope you find this version more readable now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.