So Close Sparrowhawk!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Everton, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    You probably don't know that one of my passions is bird watching. I captured this on my little camera today. Was quite pleased!
  2. Welshguy Jedi Master

star 4
    lol. I was waiting for the evil zombie to pop up on screen on let out its evil scream.

After nothing happened for 20 seconds I though "Aye aye, looks like another evil face pop up movie!"

Was actually quite suprised to see that it was a proper movie.

Almost got him!
  3. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Impressive :cool:

I enjoy bird watching and have got a few decent photos, though none of predatory birds.
    The cinema I work at did have Kestrels trying to nest in the sign on the outside of the building once, but that was about it.

I see a lot of Parakeets around where I live.
  4. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    My area gets parakeets as well. I like watching them. My garden gets quite a few blackbirds as I have a myrtle bush and they seem to love the berries. Haven't seen anything predatory though.
  5. Welshguy Jedi Master

star 4
    I had a thrush in my garden the other day.

First time I had ever seen one. Was quite a suprise. :)
  6. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Thrushes are nice birds.

Do you know what kind it was?
  7. Sauntaero Force Ghost

star 4
    Very cool. I love how all the little birds scattered right before it came down.

That goes for all your birding photography, too! It takes patience, but it's worth it.
  8. halibut Chosen One

star 8
  9. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Pfft. I had ILM and Weta fighting over this project.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
  11. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Personally, I think all it's missing is an Attenborough voiceover.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    I'm told I do a good impression of him, so if you really want one..... :p
  13. Everton Chosen One

star 10
  14. Stormtrooper_fan Force Ghost

star 5
    Pretty cool, I love raptors :)

One thing I miss now about when I lived in London was the Green Parakeets, there's hundreds of them in Greenwich Park... stunningly beautiful.

I missed a great shot of a Kestrel that flew down for a few minutes on a post about a foot away from my car while parked up on Woolwich Common. my OH had gone into the hospital and take the camera with him... I was absolutely gutted and elated in equal measure seeing one so up close.

Having said that we now live in the middle of nowhere, Cornwall about 7 miles from Land's End so there's lots of different birds to see including crazy Lapwings in the field behind our cottage :)
  15. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Cornwall is good for wildlife, especially in summer.

You Should hopefully get some Basking Sharks visible off the coast.

Plus the Scily Isles have great birdlife, a lot of which doesn't visit mainland Britain.
  16. Stormtrooper_fan Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah we also get Dolphins as well in the summer apparently which will be something to look for when out fishing :)

Of course as St Ives is apparently the place that the next Pirates of the Caribbean is going to be filmed there will be a Jack Sparrow to look out for eh? *groan* It's only 5 minutes in the car away so I'm a bit excited lol
  17. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    So envious...

This is my favourite place on Earth. I visit every other year - for the people, the place, and the birds. Fortunately, this year is a Scilly year! :D
  18. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Never been, I really must go.
    Although I have heard that apart from bird watching there isn't an awful lot to do there.

Still, anywhere that pays its lease in daffodils is alright by me :p
  19. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Depends what you're looking for in a holiday. It's quiet, remote, and has no entertainment venues beyond a church hall and a few pubs... but it's stunningly beautiful and has brilliant wildlife. On a good day you could be in the Caribbean! On a bad day... you need to be indoors! I love walking and beaches, and wildlife, so it's catnip to me. If that's not your thing then you'd get bored pretty quickly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.