So Close Sparrowhawk!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Everton, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    You probably don't know that one of my passions is bird watching. I captured this on my little camera today. Was quite pleased!
  2. Welshguy Jedi Master

star 4
    lol. I was waiting for the evil zombie to pop up on screen on let out its evil scream.

After nothing happened for 20 seconds I though "Aye aye, looks like another evil face pop up movie!"

Was actually quite suprised to see that it was a proper movie.

Almost got him!
  3. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Impressive :cool:

I enjoy bird watching and have got a few decent photos, though none of predatory birds.
    The cinema I work at did have Kestrels trying to nest in the sign on the outside of the building once, but that was about it.

I see a lot of Parakeets around where I live.
  4. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    My area gets parakeets as well. I like watching them. My garden gets quite a few blackbirds as I have a myrtle bush and they seem to love the berries. Haven't seen anything predatory though.
  5. Welshguy Jedi Master

star 4
    I had a thrush in my garden the other day.

First time I had ever seen one. Was quite a suprise. :)
  6. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Thrushes are nice birds.

Do you know what kind it was?
  7. Sauntaero Force Ghost

star 4
    Very cool. I love how all the little birds scattered right before it came down.

That goes for all your birding photography, too! It takes patience, but it's worth it.
  8. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
  9. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Pfft. I had ILM and Weta fighting over this project.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
  11. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Personally, I think all it's missing is an Attenborough voiceover.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    I'm told I do a good impression of him, so if you really want one..... :p
  13. Everton Chosen One

star 10
  14. Stormtrooper_fan Force Ghost

star 5
    Pretty cool, I love raptors :)

One thing I miss now about when I lived in London was the Green Parakeets, there's hundreds of them in Greenwich Park... stunningly beautiful.

I missed a great shot of a Kestrel that flew down for a few minutes on a post about a foot away from my car while parked up on Woolwich Common. my OH had gone into the hospital and take the camera with him... I was absolutely gutted and elated in equal measure seeing one so up close.

Having said that we now live in the middle of nowhere, Cornwall about 7 miles from Land's End so there's lots of different birds to see including crazy Lapwings in the field behind our cottage :)
  15. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Cornwall is good for wildlife, especially in summer.

You Should hopefully get some Basking Sharks visible off the coast.

Plus the Scily Isles have great birdlife, a lot of which doesn't visit mainland Britain.
  16. Stormtrooper_fan Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah we also get Dolphins as well in the summer apparently which will be something to look for when out fishing :)

Of course as St Ives is apparently the place that the next Pirates of the Caribbean is going to be filmed there will be a Jack Sparrow to look out for eh? *groan* It's only 5 minutes in the car away so I'm a bit excited lol
  17. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    So envious...

This is my favourite place on Earth. I visit every other year - for the people, the place, and the birds. Fortunately, this year is a Scilly year! :D
  18. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Never been, I really must go.
    Although I have heard that apart from bird watching there isn't an awful lot to do there.

Still, anywhere that pays its lease in daffodils is alright by me :p
  19. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Depends what you're looking for in a holiday. It's quiet, remote, and has no entertainment venues beyond a church hall and a few pubs... but it's stunningly beautiful and has brilliant wildlife. On a good day you could be in the Caribbean! On a bad day... you need to be indoors! I love walking and beaches, and wildlife, so it's catnip to me. If that's not your thing then you'd get bored pretty quickly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.