main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So...Comic Con 2012

Discussion in 'Community' started by MrZAP, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Who here is trying to get in? I got my member ID over a week ago, and will be at my computer when tickets go on sale. It'll be my first Comic Con so there was no opportunity for me to try to get tickets last year or anything. If I can't make it this year I'll be really aboyed, seeing as I've wanted to go for the past several years.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Going to try and get tickets, but I have no idea if I'll actually be able to attend because of grad schools really liking that week for workshops.[face_plain]

Also, I'm really, really not a fan of this new member ID system. Old system wasn't working, granted, but I don't think this is the right fix.

3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm already going to be there. I've earned this.

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I have friends who will probably be there--she's a writer, and he gets to tag along.
    Hopefully it will be in a facility capable of handing the con. For once.

the Galifrey One has been in need of better/larger for a while now.

5. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Is it actually hard to get into a Comic Con? I thought it was pretty much a given that if you show up, you're in...

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's completely the opposite with SDCC. They sell out the first day tickets go on sale.

Although it used to be like that seven or so years ago.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'd go as long as everyone promised to wear deodorant.

8. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I'm clearly showing my lack of nerd cred here, but...SDCC? Based on my brief review of Google, I'm guessing that's San Diego Convention Center? Is this where all Comic Cons are? I was under the impression that there were lots of Comic Conventions all over the place. Is this not the case? I need an education on these things. Also Dragon Con and all other nerd-cons that I've been missing out on.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    There are lots of Comic Cons, and most of them are much easier to get into, but we're referring specifically to the San Diego Comic Con, which is like the Comic Con to end all Comic Cons anymore.

To the point that you can refer to it as "Comic Con" and most nerds will get your drift.

10. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Ahh...ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I will add it to my nerd-pilgrimage list.

11. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    Wasn't it always? It was the first Comic Con, after all. Started in 1977.

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Last year I had a professional pass and I'm glad I did because it was a nightmare and I would have been really pissed if I'd paid to go. I may try to get a professional pass again this year, but I have vowed never to pay to go again. I love Comic Con in principle, but the overnight lines for absolutely everything in Ballroom 20 last year were insane. They really need to start putting more TV shows in Hall H. I was at Doctor Who and It's Always Sunny in there and they were full. Some movie panels in there weren't, because there were very few films anyone cared about.

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    There is a major need to reign in the numbers, probably largely by restructuring how it handles professional badges. Shrinking that while boosting exhibitors a tad (to undo what they did to them). They also need to put things in Hall H and Ballroom 20 based on popularity, not the movie/tv divide. As Ballroom 20 was a freakish nightmare.
    Also needed: Stream coverage of Ballroom 20 and Hall H to convention rooms at some of the hotels, so that people who want to see the panel but don't care about being in the room can still see it all.

14. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Whatever you do, never volunteer. It will crush your spirit and kill you.

15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I would LOVE to go to Comic Con. One day...

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I have an exhibitor's badge but still have to be up to try and get my roommate's badges as they will be at work. [face_tired]

Comic-Con USED to be a convention where you can just show up and buy a ticket at the door and get in. My first year, it was $40 for the entire 4.5 days.

Then, 2007 hit, and it's been hell ever since. Con has started hitting maximum occupancy, so that's already 125,000 attendees, not to mention the thousands of exhibitors, professionals, VIPs, and staff.

Now, badges sell out within an hour. What used to be a $40 badge is now $175. Hotels are RIDICULOUS. What's more ridiculous? I live 10 minutes away from the convention center, and I still need a hotel room. Comic-Con isn't a vacation anymore; it's work.

Comic-Con is just too big. I LOVE the idea of streaming the feed to hotel rooms... except that makes it easier for people to pirate the special footage that we receive.

And dear lord, the Game of Thrones panel BETTER be in Hall H this year. That was ridiculous.

My only solace is that Twilight is almost over, Glee is going downhill, and maybe this year's price jump will help eliminate all the dumb teenagers.

And no complaining about the price jump. Exhibitor's have been paying that much for a few years now.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Honestly, if the only valid complaint against streaming is "Boo hoo the pirates will leak the special footage" then full stream the **** ahead. If you don't want something hitting the internet because you showed it at Comic Con, then don't show it at Comic Con.

Also, what exactly was it that happened in 2007? I seem to recall Twilight being a couple of years later, but there must've been something big. Unfortunately that was the one time I couldn't attend for reasons wholly unrelated to ticket sales, so IDK.

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    It was either 2007 or 2008 when the show Heroes decided to come to Comic-Con with the entire cast. It was the first time Comic-Con sold out, and the first time people camped out overnight for Hall H. We used to be able to get in line for Hall H at 5am and get seats in the front section.

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    1 hour in, and both 4 days, and Friday and Saturday are sold out. Hope you guys got tickets.

Minus the dud email link, this was probably the best system they've had in a few years. Nothing crashed, and once you got in, buying badges was easy.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Screwed by the dud email link, myself. Still managed to snag singles for Thursday and Sunday, which are the days I like best, anyway.

But other than that damn link, yeah, worked like a charm.

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    And with that, all tickets are sold out.

22. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Of all the days to oversleep.....

You have absolutely no idea how angry I am with myself right now. I'm also in a tiny amount of shock, which is stupid since it really shouldn't be all that important.

23. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Hey, all the online ticketing was getting up at an early time. I freaking earned my ticket. And shot half a day of con making up for having to camp out in the middle of the night for tickets.

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't think I'm going to make it.

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It would take nothing short of a DeLorean to make it to Comic-Con 2012 from this point in the space-time continuum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.