main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So does anyone actualy LIKE the holiday special?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by El Kabong, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    Ok, I gotta fess up - I dig the holiday special. Oh, dont get me wrong, it's horrible to be sure - but it's also great fun. It's cheesy and goofy, but I get my kicks from that kind of stuff (I also enjoy mexican wrestling films - Viva El Santo! - old school kung fu flicks and action movies from the 80's. That should give you some idea of my tastes).

Even better the copy I have (a copy I got years ago before the dawn of DVD) has the old commercials from the broadcast. Some of these golden gems are classics! The "American pride" commercials with Leslie Nielsen playing the voice over TOTALY straight, but so far over the top it's funny. And it's got a wine commercial with Spencer Milligan (AKA Rick Marshall) from Land of the Lost! Great stuff!

So yes - I love the thing to death and I'm proud of it. I've been thinking of getting it on DVD to replace my copy that my mother recorded over (well mostly over).

malkie edit follow the link

2. TheAlternateReality

TheAlternateReality Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    Yes, I LOVE the holiday special. I probably hold the record for most viewings. There is a site dedicated to preserving this and all other star wars classics, called originaltrilogy.com. One guy there, who goes by the name of Rikter created one of the best I have ever seen on DVD. It was allegedly taken from an original tape. He went in and cleaned it up and restored it. The results were amazing! By the way, have you checked starwarsholidayspecial.com? That site tells all when it comes to the special. One of the reasons I like the special is that it tells the ordinary life of a star wars family, rather than the typical action and drama.

Note to all moderators: I am not promoting the buying of bootlegs of the holiday special, merely telling about a project someone did.

3. DeltaVX

DeltaVX Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    I just bought it off ebay, watched it, and I LOVED IT!! Sure it was corny in some places, but I enjoy corny. And Carrie Fisher's singing was a bit more bearable to R2-D2's moonwalking and doing a spinaroonie in the Droids cartoon.

4. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    Coming from the original broadcast masters, it doesnt have the vintage 70's commercials with it, does it?

5. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I thought it was pretty good. But there is an existing thread on the holiday special here.

6. TheAlternateReality

TheAlternateReality Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    No, it does not have the commercials.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.