main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST So... eh... how long EXACTLY has time passed since ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by stoteh, Dec 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoteh

stoteh Jedi Knight star 1

May 26, 2015
    The reason I ask this question is because I've heard 3 different answers. Originally they had said "30 years", and lately in recent interviews Abrams and co. have quoted 40, and I'm reading the Rollingstone article of TFA where Kennedy quotes 35 years. Do you think we'll find out in the movie/opening crawl how much time has passed by? Or are we to assume that it's somewhere between 30 and 40 years? :p

2. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    I thought I saw it mentioned that the same amount of time has passed in the Star Wars universe as it has in reality since ROTJ.

3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Makes sense...

4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I hope they say it in the crawl..

5. stoteh

May 26, 2015
    Yeah it would be nice. It's possible even though it hasn't happened before. Or even a quick mention by Han or something when he's supposedly telling Rey and Finn the "stories" would suffice!
    Oh really? That's one I've never seen! Which would be 32 years, adding a third option, lol.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm pretty sure the 40 years quote was "about 40 years" since ANH, not since ROTJ. Other than that, the number I've seen the most is 30 years or "about 30 years" since ROTJ (I know, it may not have been 10 years between ANH and ROTJ, but it is what it is). So I go with "about 30" when I'm telling people about this movie. Plus, the descriptions for the Battle of Jakku say it happened almost exactly one year after the Battle of Endor, and also that TFA is set 29 years after the Battle of Jakku... so, 30 in that case too.

jjgriffin likes this.
  7. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I don't think "exactly" really applies to the timelines in Star Wars. Long enough for Luke to go gray and grow a beard is enough of a passage of time for me.

8. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    ROTJ 1983

TFA 2015

2015 - 1983 = 32

32 years

Im proud to say I graduated 2nd grade :)

9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The thing is, if Luke's meant to be 23 or so in ROTJ yet in TFA he's in his 60's, 40 years makes more sense.

Toonimator likes this.
  10. stoteh

May 26, 2015
    Perhaps, but i always thought (and I don't remember where I received this information because I just always knew it as a child) that it was established as I - II: 10 years II - III: 3 years III - IV: 19 years IV - V: 3 years V - VI: 1 year. So for this reason I was wondering if there was an exact time as well (if the above information is canon and exact or if as you say it's not meant to be dealt with in "exact" lengths of time) I'm probably just looking too much into it anyway. I guess it's just nice to know.
    Ahhhh that makes sense, cheers!

EHT likes this.
  11. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    Approximately 30 years have passed since ROTJ. that's what I was led to believe.

12. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

Its 30 years exactly. The new Jakku battlefront trailers say 29 years before TFA and since the battle of Jakku took place a year after ROTJ it has been exactly 30 years.

13. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    However, they stated around the time that trailer debuted that it was the same amount of time as in the real world, so 32 years.

But Artoo-Dion makes a valid point about Luke, since he & Leia are meant to be about 23 in ROTJ... 32 years puts 'em at 55, which is a few years younger than Fisher and almost a decade younger than Hamill. I know actors play different ages all the time, and often are paired with parents/children who are only, like, 12 years apart from them (like Ford & Connery in Last Crusade).

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  14. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

True but then again everything goes through the story group and most sources say that it has been 30 years I just feel that those comments were made quickly to the media unlike the stuff that is put out as canon which is made sure to be right.

15. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    For all we know, it was written with a non-specific passage of time in mind, and the Story Group then retrofitted the 30 year gap for the purposes of tie-in material.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Mmm, I was looking at the TV Tropes page for Force Awakens just now, and it says 32 years. Even if that's wrong, is there really that much difference between having it take place 40 years after ROTJ as opposed to 30 years?

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Here's the thing, (and I know this will drive some of you crazy) THEY DON"T CARE. When they say 30/40 years in interviews it's an approximation not meant to be taken literally. I'm sure they've never set down with a GFFA calendar and figured this out to the second, because they're not nerds who obsess over this stuff like we do. :)

DaveyWanKenobi and Artoo-Dion like this.
  18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Luke cares.

19. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    That's my take, too, TBH. The three-year/one-year gaps in the OT are similarly the product of the old EU group, IMHO.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  20. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008

To be fair Pablo Hidalgo probably cares too. It's be him that has to fix any timeline errors arising from any confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.