So far, has the saga really been seen through the eyes of the droids?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jedi knight Pozzi, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    For the CT, I'd say yes. They are moments here and there, such as when they separated from Luke while he's fighting Vader. But on the whole, I feel the concept is strong here.

For the PT, it doesn't seem to be. For TPM, R2 isn't seen until the escape on the Naboo Ship. And then C-3PO isn't seen until later. We also leave him behind until AOTC.
    R2 is stuck with Anakin, leaving the adventures of the Jedi and Padme unwatched.

AOTC doesn't get away either. R2 is with Padme from the beginning to be sure, but no-one sees Kenobis' adventures. The Droids don't meet him until the Arena. And again, 3PO isn't seen for the most part. They are all reunited in the arena, but are separated again from the main viewing again, not to be seen until the wedding.

Lucas may fix this in EPIII by keeping the droids close, but have the first two films damaged the idea of the saga being watched by the droids?
  2. WellKnownCharacter Jedi Knight

star 2
    I can see what you mean here. In the CT the droids were always pretty close to the action but with I and II thats really not been the case for many of the major threads.
    I mean you wouldnt really have noticed if 3po and r2 were in EpI would you. There role is increased in II but it still differs a bit from what GL has stated before.
  3. neeldawg66 Force Ghost

star 8
    I thought I heard somewhere that Lucas said he made the OT through the eyes of the droids and that the PT was going to be told from the Jedi's perspective. It makes much more sense if that is actually true because in both Episode I & II the main characters are mostly Jedi. In TPM, Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon and in AOTC, Anakin & Obi-Wan.
  4. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I don't even think it's accurate to say the CT was told through the eyes of the droids. ANH starts off with a clear focus on the droids, but the narrative focus quickly changes to Luke. In ESB it shifts between Luke on the one hand, and Han and Leia on the other and never really returns to the droids.

This idea persists in part because, in the early 80s, Lucas was quoted as saying there would be nine films in all, and that the two droids would be the characters who would tie all nine films together. their perspective would be the common thread running through the nine-part saga.

Understandably, Lucas changed his mind over time.
  5. DarthHtrad Jedi Master

star 1
    Well, of course the focus switches to Luke, Han and Leia, what Lucas meant by through the eyes of the droids is that there is almost always, if not always, at least one of the 2 droids accompanying those characters throughout their adventures. The droids are always there to see the action, thus making the story 'seen through their eyes'.
  6. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    " This idea persists in part because, in the early 80s, Lucas was quoted as saying there would be nine films in all, and that the two droids would be the characters who would tie all nine films together. their perspective would be the common thread running through the nine-part saga.

Understandably, Lucas changed his mind over time."

Also, I believe you guys are taking this a little too literally. We don't "see" the movie through their eyes. We are simply given a story as told by a by-stander's point-of-view. Sure, neither of the droids are there when Anakin tells Luke he is his father, but all of these "facts" and incidents are discussed in the droids' presences.

"The droids are always there to see the action, thus making the story 'seen through their eyes'."

The droids either witness events first-hand, or get their information directly from the source, as the main characters are always talking around them. They are, in effect, the record-keepers of this entire saga. C3PO's stint as "storyteller" in ROTJ is a clear manifestation of the original concept that Lucas had. If it were otherwise, 3PO would have had nothing to tell.

Remember, this happened "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away." Who would conceivably still be around to tell Lucas this wonderful saga? (You didn't think he really made it up all by himself, did you!?!) [face_laugh]
  7. ObidioJuan Force Ghost

star 3
    Actualy I have to agree. I watched ANH yesterday for the 300th time and I find it quite cool that the first lines are said by the droids.

The droids play a significant role in all that is happening. And they are always saving the day for the heros. (Well at least R2).

In a way they are part of the prophecy or aid the force to fulfill the prophecy, so maybe the Force does interact also with the non-living. This could be a good thread!
  8. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "I find it quite cool that the first lines are said by the droids. "

Play-by-play commentary, sometimes.

Makes you wonder who's gonna have the last line, doesn't it?
  9. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Nope. They're just the most beloved characters. ;) In a way I suppose they are, but really, for the most part, it's being told from an outside force.
  10. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    " it's being told from an outside force."

Was that a pun, or just lack of a viable alternative? ;)
  11. ObidioJuan Force Ghost

star 3
    Actualy NO. In a manner of speaking and in many movies they tell the story from the "view" of a character and that doesn't mean that they will have to be witnesses to all that happens.

They are the common point in the SW films. R2 has a very special place in GL mind, haven't you seen the "Under the Dome" mockumentary?,

At any rate so far (minus TPM) the droids are among the first characters to make an apperance in the movie.

TPM
    QGJ, OB1

AOTC
    R2, Padme

EP3
    ?

ANH
    R2, C3PO

TESB
    Luke, Han

ROTJ
    R2, C3PO

So following this method EP3 will NOT be the droids in the first scene but maybe Anakin & someone else.
  12. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    TPM
    QGJ, OB1

AOTC
    R2, Padme

EP3
    ?

So following this method EP3 will NOT be the droids in the first scene but maybe Anakin & someone else.

EP3
    QGJ, OB1

Obi-wan has a dream about Qui-gon? "How could you have screwed this up so badly!?!"

Qui-gon, the Force ghost of Christmas Past :D
  13. ShaakRider Jedi Knight

star 2
    OT: definitely. All the events/actions are shown through the droids eyes, not constantly though. Sometimes we (at least me) see through Luke's eyes, or we get deeper insight into th imperial processes, but the droid-perspective is present all along.
    PT: definitley not. In TPM, I'd say the 2 Jedi and JarJar alternately, AOTC mostly the Jedi.
  14. TK-101788 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Aside from Kenobi, the droids are the only characters to appear in every film.
  15. lorn_zahl Force Ghost

star 4
    True dat....

I really don't care much for droids in the starwars universe. The only one I like is Artoo because he generaly keeps his mouth shut and he's a hero.

Threepio's only saving grace is that he gets destroyed alot.
  16. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think the "story through the eyes of the droids" only really applies to A NEW HOPE and then only for the first 20 minutes or so, at least until Luke is introduced.
  17. Fett_Boy96 Jedi Knight

18. Scott3eyez Jedi Master

star 4
    TPM has the only shot in the entire saga that is literally 'through the eyes of a droid' in Anakin's bedroom, from C3P0's POV.

8-}
  19. Rogue_Pilot Jedi Knight

star 1
    I just watched the AoTC commentary and noticed that in the scene where Padme's ship is blown up, GL comments that he's happy with the fact that R2-D2 is the first character shown as ultimately it is his story.

What exactly do you think this means to the starwars saga as a whole? It's been speculated that the story is being told "by the droids" but GL doesn't mention C3PO.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.