main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL So....George doesn't seem to have much faith in his new movie

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Vinylcapedjawa, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylcapedjawa

Vinylcapedjawa Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2007
    I saw this link on theforce.net today, and I have heard Lucas make similar comments about the new movie: http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-03-24-lucas_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

I hope the new Indiana Jones movie isn't going to be another Phantom Menace. No offense to those of you who liked PM.

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I read that too via other avenues.

He's so complacent it is not even funny. He knows he has a license to print money so why bother with quality?

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    *gathers up bundle of firewood*

*walks up to smoldering embers*

*dumps fuel on the fire*

I think George's recent comments are a direct result of the downright nasty things that disgruntled Star Wars fans have railed about the prequels for nearly 9 years now. Before TPM, George had the Midas touch (okay, minus Howard the Duck), but ever since May 1999, the man can't seem to please anyone. So, it seems from his recent remarks, that he has come to a sobering personal realization: It's only a movie, and you can't please everyone. I agree.

4. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Sithy, the big hole in your argument is that it presumes that he actually cares.

D'

5. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    *waits for the inevitable Han quote*

*waits*

Oh what the heck:

"I care."

6. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I recall Lucas spewing the same nonsense with ear prequel release.

And also your dates are wrong. This started in 1997 when fans began to become disappointed. Han shooting first was foreshadowing of the terrible film making that was to follow.

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Or rather: Didn't fan disappointment really start in 1983 with those darn ewoks? So maybe the last time Star Wars fans were truly happy was when the credits rolled in May 1980.

8. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Also, the OT wasn't without its critics. Though supporting crew won some awards (sound, score etc.) and ANH & Lucas got a nod, the original films didn't fare much better with the industry than the prequels have. The OT's success came with fan recognition, but even RotJ took a fair beating from older fans who didn't like Ewoks, the lack of originality of a 2nd Death Star and the weakening of Leia's character for most of the movie top the list.

If Lucas is trying to humble his image to his fans then you can bet it's a marketing scheme. Recently he has appeared every few months on some popular media outlet satirizing himself in some way (Howard Stern, Robot Chicken, The Colbert Report etc.). Has he finally gotten a sense of humor about himself or is it that he now realizes that his post-RotS years are in fact going to be remounting the one-trick pony for the rest of his life.

And Lucas is an idiot for spouting that nonsense about how impossible the expectations are for an Indy (or Star Wars) sequel. Who wants to hear that? Yeah, you can't please everyone all of the time...he's now an expert in that field. But it's a complete cop-out to marginalize the work. He'd only say that because either he knows he didn't put his ALL into it, or he's not happy with the rest of the collaborative efforts. I'm gambling on both. His holding up the green-light for script issues till the project was almost dropped says he already wasn't happy with the resulting product...but not unhappy enough to ignore the cash-flow for even a sub-par product. My money is still on Spielberg to put his heart into it. Screw Lucas!!

Also, the statement "it's only a movie" only works when you aren't discussing movies...as in "how can you worry about some stupid movie when soldiers are dying in Iraq!!!". Right, put into that perspective, anything is "just a XXXX". However, when talking ABOUT movies, then there are movies that transcend being "just a movie" and the OT and at least 2/3 Indy films are (by a majority of moviephiles) more than "just movies". To expect the same attention to detail and effort to go into their follow-ups isn't asking too much.

D'
    "Right or wrong this is my movie, this is my decision, and this is my creative vision, and if people don't like it, they don't have to see it." -Fail

9. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    The other missing piece here is, of course, that the movies he made since May 1999 have overwhelmingly stunk up the joint. I liked Sith, and I'll listen to a good defense of AOTC, but Episode I is objectively a bad film. Epic bad.

Georgie boy's being childish and defensive because a portion of his fan base has called him out on his lousy movie making, and he can't be a man and take it. Go cry in your buckets of money, Lucas. If Indy 4's good, I'll be the first to give him credit; if it's bad, most of the current evidence points toward it being his fault.

10. Vinylcapedjawa

Vinylcapedjawa Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2007
    I don't know. Maybe it is some kind of marketing scheme. I'm sure that is what Lucasfilm the company is doing. You always have to remember that corporations are completely separate entities than the people that created them and they behave differently most of the time. I think that still, after all these years, and the millions of dollars he has made, George Lucas is an extremely insecure man.

You read any biography about him and you can see his painful insecurities throughout his life. I agree totally with the above comments that he started coming off of his pedastal when Return of the Jedi came out but I don't think he was receiving outright hatred from the fans until TPM. Just my opinion but that is when I really noticed fans spewing loads and loads of hatred at him just for making a movie. Personally, I thought he completely saved the prequels with Revenge of the Sith and proved that he can make another good Star Wars movie.

That being said, I am a little concerned about this upcoming Indy movie. The problems with the script leading up to its production don't bode well for any movie. I hope I am not disappointed.

11. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I just want to point out that "I care" is a Luke quote, not Han.

I'll wait until I see the movie before passing judgment. It does seem strange to have Lucas covering his butt in case the movie sucks.

Phil

12. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    BEST POST EVAR!!!

D'
    "Geek Card revocation imminent."

13. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    D'oh!

*hangs head in shame*