main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, Grimby's banned? What's the deal, guys?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FamousAmos, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Good question. How can it apply to regular users and not MS?

The answer? It applies to everyone.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    so what are you saying?

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Dunno... I took it to mean that perhaps Grimby did not ban himself... these MS folk are a bizarre bunch.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, if you want to get technical, its not possible to actually ban yourself, because a user has to be demoted to regular user before the ban can go through, and if a mod demotes himself as the first part, he would no longer have the ability to ban. But Grimby made the decision about this, and thus for all practical purposes did it himself.

Again, we can't say more than that.

BookExogorth likes this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    What you can say is whether or not you find it to be ridiculous and / or insane... so? :p

6. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Here's the facts:

a) It's self imposed;
    b) We will leave it solely at that because the MS policy is that we don't discuss individual user's bans;
    c) If you want to know more than that the only person you can get it off will be the person who is serving the ban.

7. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Stupid question, but why is it policy that MS doesn't discuss bans?

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Given that the policy was created by .....

Okay, I'll leave the personal commentary out of it and just say I don't know. Personally don't see why they can't be, and the world never fell on us back when we used to, but it's just the way policy is currently.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Also, before anyone mentions changing the policy, Philip was asked a couple of years ago about it, and he has indicated that he doesn't want that to change.

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    So, he hasn't answered another simple question given years to say y/n?

Surprise

11. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    The Emperor Has No Clothes!!!

But seriously, stuff like this does not engender confidence amongst the populace.

Especially this close to the move.

Seriously guys, this is some Dick Cheney crap.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's really, really not a big deal. To clarify my remarks from earlier, I'm just saying that as a rule, mods don't get themselves demoted just because they're busy. They go on limited time or they go green. There's no change in policy, nor is there anything out of the ordinary going on (aside from the head admin currently being banned).

But really, there's no funny business. You may be thinking "how can they keep us in the dark about this? did they think we wouldn't notice?" Well, you did notice and we won't be keeping you in the dark. Just wait a little while.

13. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Publicity stunt. Why would the head admin of a forum force a ban on himself, and then leave the forum in the dark for a short period of time, if not for a reason. If it's not a big deal like previously said, then I'd assume that he'd have enough reason to clear this up with a decent explanation for ye common folk before the ban, since there isn't a rush, and he is after all...the head admin. You can punish the HA as a user, but you can't hold the same behavioral expectations of him.

14. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    Is it move related? Not sure how it would be but who knows!

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'll say it again (and for the last time), if it's no big deal, then there's no reason why Grimby should have been banner or why it can't be discussed more. All of this is creating unnecessary uncertainty.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

16. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    We can't discuss it because we don't discuss individual users' bans with anyone but the user (even if said user is the Head Admin), so the only person who can discuss it is Grimby, who is currently banned. Just wait a few hours, he'll be back.

17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    There are exceptions for every rule.:p

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

18. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    No, it's not. Grimby said that no one is above the rules, up to and including admins, and felt he should serve some time for what happened. That's really it, no vast conspiracy I promise!

19. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Two part answer. First, it's honestly not a publicity stunt. Second, I may not be interpreting your last statement correctly. All mods should be held to the same behavioral standards as regular users. Otherwise, you'd have mods being allowed to say and do things without fear of repercussions which would not serve this place well.

Also, as a note, Grimby has sent a message that he will provide an explanation when he returns.

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    so Grimby has posted something that he himself, in retrospect, or whatever, deems ban worthy, and thus, essentially, banned himself for it.

the only rationale conclusion to be made from all this is: lol

BookExogorth likes this.
  21. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    No, he was banned for overuse of commas

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    So fifty-post threads about nothing won't appear in Communications.

:p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  23. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    I think he must have replied to 4 or 5 threads in a couple of forums in half an hour one morning prior to having coffee and after having coffee he decided that he was giving VIPs a bad name by spamming so he banned himself. It's the only thing that could make sense.

24. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Just out of curiosity... why is it now very plainly obvious when someone's account is on a ban? It didn't work that way before one of the updates last year or the year before.

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That came in with one of the bunch of board code changes by IGN. We don't have any control over it, I'm afraid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.