main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, Grimby's banned? What's the deal, guys?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FamousAmos, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    No, the topic of the thread is "...Grimby's banned...", and I was saying that no one would have known that if it wasn't for the glitch.

2. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    At no point were we ever trying to hide the fact that Grimby was banned. It was going tk be obvious very quickly. We are just restrained by the policy on not discussing bans. Can everyone just wait a couple of hours until Grimby can come and discuss the details he wishes to?

3. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    Aw, but it's funny watching people go mental over nothing!

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I didn't literally mean a publicity stunt, I just think the same thing that has been said by others. The procedure taken to handle this was silly. I don't blame MS as I know MS had little to no involvement in it, but...it's still silly. He is the head admin, not a mod, not a user. There is a certain degree of difference in how his situation should be handled. Punishment can still be fair and yet dealt in different methods.

Basically what I just mean to say is that there should have been some warning beforehand and that it's silly/suspicious that there was not. Which has already been cleared up by others.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm going to start this off by saying that when I made the decision to ban myself, I first brought my intentions to the other admins. At that time, they were already aware of the incident which took place, but a discussion of what action to take had not yet occurred. It was decided that 48 hours would be a sufficient length, and an explanation was then posted in MS shortly before I was demoted and banned.

I instructed MS to tell anyone who asked that the ban was self-imposed, that any further questions should be directed to me, and that I would provide an explanation myself when I returned. For all intents and purposes, the policy on not discussing bans publicly prevents us from divulging any more details, even though both the admins and MS have more information.

In any other situation, I don't know that the public needs to know anything more than that, other than the ban was not merely to keep me off the boards, nor was it anything close to the level of what spawned this fiasco. But considering this involves the head admin and considering this has never happened before to my knowledge, I think you all deserve a little more info. Here is part of what I posted in MS:
    Over the last several days, I've been discussing a particular issue with a manager via PM and the discussion became very heated. I lost my cool and lashed out at said manager in a way that I would not find acceptable of anyone else. I don't think I should be held to a different standard than any of you, so I will be taking a self-imposed 48-hour ban for conduct unbecoming of an administrator. I want everyone to know that I was not asked to do this, nor do the other admins particularly agree that this is necessary. This is my own decision and I hope it demonstrates the commitment I have to enforcing the rules and policies set forth by previous administrations. I will not be held to a different standard just because I'm in charge.

So there you go, not exactly front page news if you ask me. Again, the reason I did not instruct MS to relay this information is because of the owner-mandated policy of not discussing bans. Further, if anyone was going to bend that rule for a special circumstance, I didn't want it to be everyone in MS, I wanted you to hear it directly from me. To be honest, while I expected a few people might notice I was banned, I never expected a Comms thread with 75+ replies waiting for me when I returned 48 hours later.

When it comes to the moderators and administrators of this site, no one is above the rules and policies set forth by Mod Squad over the last 12 years, including the head administrator. I hope that this course of action demonstrates my commitment to upholding those rules, and my continued strive to become a better admin and a better leader of this site.

For the record, unless I missed something there is no policy that says a user cannot request to be banned. What you're most likely referring to is when we adapted a new policy a couple years ago to say that we would not take ban requests lightly. Any user may request to be banned, however we also require that they specify a date in which they want to return and stick to it within reason. The problem we ran into with banning requests was that users were requesting to be banned for a period of days or weeks, then changing their minds only hours later. So the policy simply states that users should take the banning system as seriously as Mod Squad does.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, then I commend you, Grimby. It must have been some lashing out at this manager, as obviously that was done via PM and not in public or in the MS. At least you're back faster than Keith Olbermann.:p

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Did you call them a *****?

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    ... I step down because MS is as boring as space is infinite and the next week the head admin bans himself for flaming a mod?!? The universe truly hates me. What issue could there possibly be to excite Grimbylicous that much? No, I don't expect you to answer that question - I literally cannot fathom that ... you know... stuff still actually happens.

I knew it was worth checking out Comms at 4am on a Sunday night

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My main Tech Admin duties are the loading of new banners to the TFN server and creating the styles so they can be used here. I also update the forum headers when mods leave or new ones are chosen. And I keep an eye on the Comms Tech Thread. In addition I mod in Comms, Collecting, and Games: CCG etc.

If we open a new forum either Grimby or I have to create the board scripts for that forum as well.

As far as the new boards go, my main tech background is as a DBA and Philip Wise has hired a consultant to handle that side of the board move. I've been doing background stuff (lists of banners that we have and all the bits in case of problems in the move, a list of all of our banned users, things like that.) Grimby and I are also looking at the database mapping to convert between the IGN database format and VBulletin. VBulletin does have scripts to aid in conversion from several database formats to its own but IGN isn't one of the supported formats so Philip's consultant will have to 'home-grow' one. And that is what's taking a lot of the time associated with the move.

10. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Man, I almost feel like $enny. The best bit of drama comes about and I wasn't there to participate in it first hand. What a ripoff! I demand a recount! There must be some hanging chads somewhere!

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So then, which Manager provoked Grimby into flaming them? I wonder....[face_laugh]

Glad its all a load of nonsense (relatively speaking) and not something more serious like the actions of he who will not be named.

How was the experiance of getting banned Grimbers? A bit surreal I bet? :D

12. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'll tell you one thing. It really makes you appreciate the boards more and the fact that posting here is a privilege, not a right. An hour after the ban happened, I didn't know what to do with myself. :p

13. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I would say provoking is far from the truth.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Whether or not it was provoked it really irrelevant. And obviously we won't be going into details about that - that falls under both "PMs are private" and "bans are not discussed" categories.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Welcome to the Comms forum, noob.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  16. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Don't get me wrong, I expected a Comms thread. Hindsight is 20/20, but considering the last really active topics in Comms were the "We're Moving v2.0" thread and its MSU counterpart way back in April, no, I didn't expect a thread with this much activity in the span of 48 hours.

17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    That's not as bad as me saying aloud inside the Staples Center (as I first found out about all this via Facebook) "What the hell has Grimby done?". :p

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

jcgoble3 likes this.
  18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The comms faithful have been deprived of anything for so long, it was surely inevitable.

19. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Indeed.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000

21. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    If you must know, I didn't actually resort to any name calling. That's the last thing I'm going to say about what happened.

22. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It was probably an argument about whether or not Palpatine = Sidious.

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Shows how far we've fallen. Back in the day this would have been a 30 page Comms epic with all manner of bizarre conspiracy theories. Now 4 pages? 4 ******** pages?:rolleyes:

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    There's been a lot of poking with a stick to see if people are still alive with all the stuff that's gone on here recently. I've regularly gone days and even weeks between checking in here. Guess something had to be done.

25. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    OK, so....

What exactly did you hope to acomplish by doing this? Gettng some admin, and ms on your side for whatever reason,vbecause you showed them spirit? And furthermore, what messegs does that show regular users that you're willing to be a matyr for the ms, yet can't make it open, yet know someone will eventualy notice?

Basicaly saying, if you feel like you need to be put on even levels with other uers, fine. You think you went over the top to get that, cool.

But,why let it get to a point that you could have obviously seen coming, get this far?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.