main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So have the prequels finally proved themselves as additions worthy of Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by sdj, May 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CPCGAMES

CPCGAMES Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    I didn't entirely hate Episode 1 because I like the political story that it gave Star Wars. And as of now AOTC is the best Star Wars film I have seen. But I think Episode 3 will be the best one in the series and will be a great way for Lucas to go out.

2. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    most people who use the OT to bash the PT dont even remember the movies.

Very very true. Someone I know made a cheap comment about TPM a few weeks back, so i tried getting into a discussion about why this person thought this, until I realise this person didnt know which was which ROTJ or ANH. So I just stopped and told him to not bother with AOTC.

3. yado

yado Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    im sure the prequels will prove to be as good as the OT. If Lucas made episodes 1,2, and 3 first, and would be making episodes 4,5 and 6 today, critics/bashers would say the same thing as they are saying today...

4. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I always thought they did? :confused:

5. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    There we are...

now....let someone challenge me...I will break down each movie for you and point out every fault in the OT...and you will see how wrong you actually are.

6. Draculas_guest

Draculas_guest Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
    JBFett,

"how would it affect their opinion? more so, this thread is only going to stir up trouble between those who liked and didnt like the movie...so THIS thread is a waste of time. "

Its only going to stir up trouble when people like you over-react to people who have a different opinion over AOTC than you.

Perhaps if you were to calm down and hear out peoples opinions rather than hounding them for having a different perspective, you might understand that.

I do still care about Star Wars. People who didnt like TPM and AOTC care about Star Wars, some people liked TPM, some didnt. Some liked AOTC, some didnt, the whole point of this forum is for people to connect with each other and express their opinions, but you dont seem to grasp something as basic as that, and insist on tearing down anyone who has a different opinion. Let me give you the example again

For instance...

Example 1
    Person X:
    "I love AOTC"

Person Y:
    "It didnt grab me, i'm still fond of the originals."

Person X
    "Really? I thought AOTC was an improvement because of such and such a scene...."

Now if things happened like that, everything would be wonderful, unfortunately...

Example 2

Person X
    "I Love AOTC"

Person Y
    "It didnt Grab me, I'm still fond of the originals."

Person X
    "Well get off this message board then! We dont want Bashers like you spoiling our fun, your obivously not a true Star Wars fan. YOUR WRONG, AOTC ROCKS, just because you've forgotten how to appreciate ...."

Now some people are willing to debate the subject like Example 1, whereas you, JBFett, take the path of Example 2 and seem determined to throw tantrums like a little toddler because someone doesn't like the new film as much. Everyone else is simply trying to have a good debate, while you seem determined on crushing another persons belief. Perhaps YOU should be thinking before you make pointless posts

7. Draculas_guest

Dec 15, 2001
    JBFett,

"and who the hell are you to say what is and isnt star wars.... "

Well who gives anyone the right to say the new films are a healthy addition to the saga? No-one does, people just express their opinions. Some people think that the new films are carrying on the saga, while others think that George Lucas is wrecking Star Wars. I expressed my opinion, other people expressed theirs, but again, you hound people for not liking AOTC. Who says that your opinion has any weight? Who the hell gives you the right to justify the new trilogy in its present state. Stop being so single minded and respect the fact that other people have different perspectives

8. Snakeyes31485

Snakeyes31485 Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    Episode I in no way is as good as the OT but George definetly redeemed himself with Episode II which I rank second overall only to ESB

9. Draculas_guest

Dec 15, 2001
    "you should go back and watch the OT..and realize they have more faults than you can even think of...you are just acustomed to them and are afraid to lower their high place (which some think should be untouchable)...tell me you dont cringe when you hear..."Laugh it up fuzzball." or even better "I dont know where you get your dillusions laserbrain" GIVE ME A BREAK "

Are you now trying to tell me that the original trilogy is a rubbish waste of time? By your own logic, you shouldnt be on these message boards then. It also seems a bit of a last ditch resort to slag off the original trilogy whenever people highlight flaws in the new films. Yes, the original films suffered bad performances, but that was over 25 years ago when few people knew or cared about Star Wars. If the original trilogy suffers as many bad performances and dialogue as you say, then surely Lucas would be making every attempt possible to improve the new films by sharpening up the dialogue and by finding the best actors. If the original films come under so much fire for their performances then why the hell isn't Lucas ironing out those creases with the new films?

10. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    NO we love the originals also.

11. Leavethattome

Leavethattome Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    I thought TPM was just as good as the OT...this is gonna end up ebing 12 hours of GOLD when 3 is done!

12. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I AM SAYING THAT PEOPLE LIKE YOU USE THE OT TO BASH THE PT...

so listen...Why would lucas want to IMPROVE acting to the point where there would be an obvious error in the continuity...you keep things constant..Cheese lines are part of star wars and I am sick of hearing people use this as an Attack on the prequels when an attack on one is an attack on all. THEY ALL SUFFER FROM THE SAME FAULTS..

I LOVE the OT...and I love the PT...i dont see the faults as being faults but as constants and unique traits of the saga. WHAT I AM SAYING THOUGH is that to attack a part of the PT which is a trait of all movies is just stupid...and look around my friend...ITS PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY COMPLAINT PEOPLE HAVE. THEREFORE, THE OPINION IS VOID..I respect opinions...just not ignorant ones.

13. Bring_on_Aurra_Sing

Bring_on_Aurra_Sing Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    I loved the AOTC...
    On a par (or mighty close)with ESB and ANH. Time will tell if it holds up as well.
    That said, I like hearing what other people think, and I would hope to continue to hear the opinions of those who aren't as impressed with AOTC as I am.
    My point is, why come into a thread whose title asks a cool QUESTION, and try to tell somebody that their taste in movies is Wrong-o? Star wars does not need "defenders" so stop annoiniting yourself.

14. Christovsky

Christovsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2002
    Is that right, Mr. JB Fett?

Well, there is a difference between cheezy movies and well-done cheezy movies. Example: PT films and OT films...

...by the way, the old trilogy isn't as cheezy as everyone makes it out to be.

15. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    IMO Episode III will be the best one.

16. Yodabrains

Yodabrains Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    I believe so..I was never that "hard" on the new series of star wars like some of the fans out there. I take it for what it is..a tale of good/evil, empire/republic, man vs machine, etc.. etc.. :). Star wars movies have always been littered with cliches, fairytale improbabilities, strange dialogue etc. For people that don't get it yet..the whole star wars series is just one high budgeted B-movie from the old tradition of serials. We don't like to think of it that way but that's what it really is. Once you try to elevate it and put it on a pedestal as something nigh untouchable artistically that's when you will run into problems. You can't take this series TOO seriously..don't let nostalgia overwhelm you. Go with the flow is my opinion.. I will take Lucas's vision for what it's worth..sure i'll complain about this or that but I think ultimately the man knows what he's doing.

17. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    They have nothing to prove.

18. PowerfulJedi

PowerfulJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2000
    OK you guys stop arguing, you're gonna end up getting this thread closed.

Anyway, I equate AOTC to ESB and TPM to ROTJ. So so far we are equal. So if Episode 3 is as good or better than ANH, the PT will be, dare I say it, better than the OT.

19. robot717

robot717 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2001
    Yes.Yes they have.

20. Bring_on_Aurra_Sing

May 8, 2002
    I like your equation of ESB = AOTC, ROJ = TPM.
    If AOTC is any indication, I should get in line for Ep.III tomorrow...
    Except that I've gotta see AOTC a few more times :D

21. DarKnight

DarKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Just consider this. If Ep. III is as good as Ep. II, IV, & V, that means the first and last chapters will be considered the worst of the series.

22. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    quote:

let someone challenge me...I will break down each movie for you and point out every fault in the OT

That sounds like a threat to me.

Seriously tho, take your pill man. Ive been a fan for over 20 years and even i realize theyre just movies.

If youre just a kid, well never mind this post. If youre not, consider getting or borrowing a life. Or take half a white valium or something.

23. Ded-Man

Ded-Man Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2002
    "They're just movies."

I honestly don't get it when bashers say things like that. If that's the way you feel, why even come here? NO, I'm not telling you to leave because you're a basher. But if you literally think they're "just movies" ... I mean, even the OT ones you probably love, what's the point? Why the need to put everything down?

Yes, SW is technically "just movies." But that like saying poetry is "just scribbling," or a symphony orchestra is "just a bunch of hairless monkeys blowing in tubes." Or better yet, life is "just a whole lot of protoplasm." No one talks this way, and so there's no reason to put down SW like this.

And anyway, I think the prequels will actually, maybe come out on top of the sequels when all is said and done.

24. bed_speling

bed_speling Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2002
    The OT and PT are mirror-images of each other. If a SW fan does not 'get' this, then he might not 'get' the PT.

The OT is laced with a sense of HOPE. A band of courageous rebels fight an evil empire. It is easier to root for the heroes of OT. It is easier for the OT heroes to appear to break free from the chains of plot devices, because the heroic theme is rousing and infectious.

The PT is laced with a sense of MENACE. The feeling of impending doom permeates through Ep I and II, and no doubt Ep III as well. It is more difficult to root for the PT heroes. It is difficult for the PT heroes to appear to break free from the shackles of plot devices. After all, the PT heroes are supposed to be victims of their times.

I sincerely hope that those who love the OT but are indifferent to the PT would appreciate the mirror-imaged relationship between the OT and the PT. The OT is about hope; the PT is about impending doom.

25. Bring_on_Aurra_Sing

May 8, 2002
    onward and upward!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.