main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

JCC So, how long do you want to live?

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent , Oct 12, 2015.

1. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent 2017 Celebrity Deathpool Winner star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Bowen likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    More with Liz and others.

5. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Indefinitely. I certainly don’t want to die of a disease like old age, even if it’s a disease society largely accepts because they’ve previously had no choice :p

I made a short film on this subject, it has always interested me. Shot in 4K with a private jet, yacht, crane and Ferrari shots, we had it all. Lots of fun. Didn’t go as far as I wanted, usual criticism was it looks beautiful and well made but no true ending, they didn’t like the cliffhanger for a short, Blah blah whatever don’t agree with any of it but not offended either as it was years ago and well past. I made it as a jumping off point to a feature so I didn’t really care if some festivals didn’t think it had closure as for me that was the point - it was a start not an end. Started with a quote from Aubrey :p

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 6:15 AM
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Why is everyone just on their phones in the opening? What’s the point of that?
    Eugene isn’t a great actor, but the main guy is decent
    Too much dialogue, jeez it’s just endless
    No idea who these ‘bad guys’ are, just random
    He just walked in and deleted everything, no backups at all? Too easy, unrealistic.
    And then what was the point of that minor amount of ‘drama’ if they discover it anyway in the end? Eh?
    A short story shouldn’t just be a springboard to a larger movie, it should stand on its own two feet.
    Couple at end is cheesy
    the Ferrari is nice though
    and yes it’s easy to criticise etc

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 6:31 AM
  7. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Eugene is actually a VO actor mainly now, he’s made it pretty big in that field. Unfortunately our talent field here is... limited, to say the least. And I agree with you it’s not that it’s just too much talking, it’s actually that nobody is doing anything while talking in too many scenes. I wouldn’t have done it that way except for limited locations I could use, limited time to film (and more actions mean more shooting days), and too few crew resources up here. We could do the basics but it didn’t translate into what I ultimately wanted. Even the scene you mentioned is not how it was scripted originally either, as far as him stealing the data. That was my only location where they literally kicked me out and I had to improvise a lame scenario.

I honestly only am happy with how the film turned out visually and the locations I could use. I also like the music (Ramin did Sharknado! Lol). I dislike the pacing, the acting is solid but it’s not great, the story is not a short so it doesn’t really work, and it bores me and I made it; it was a failed project. My only such one that didn’t go to many film festivals (3 I think), but it was the germ of an idea. I wrote an unrelated feature script called “The Death of Aging,” had nothing to do with the short though. :p

I fully agree it simply doesn’t stand on its own two feet as a short. An experiment, but it was almost like trying to cram feature ideas into a short time frame which means nothing gets developed properly. Also too many characters. A short should stay focused on one or two characters and keep it tight.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Force Ghost star 6

May 22, 2000
  9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I do like that you hit the major talking points such as daily death, to death do us part, worries of overpopulation, etc.

The latest from Aubrey.