main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So how Mandalore's situation should be handled

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Slowpokeking, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh - 'k - you think the story line would have been improved had it been handled differently and portrayed the characters differently (and you've given up the lost battle to save Satine from a certain death). Got it. I think.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Well from in-universe view, both her and her rescuer should still take some blame.

3. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That's the issue. If we're going by out-of-universe reasons and justifications, it's a non-argument. The writers wanted Satine dead, so she died. Nothing she could have done would have saved her.

If we're looking at it specifically in-universe, then there are many things Satine and her government could have done differently to contain the earlier situation and keep her alive, but she's not a very good leader and made numerous, repeatedly bad choices. Satine effectively let her city fall and allowed herself to die.

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But it's not like she lost all chances after she was put in cell. There was still chance, but I think she still hadn't switched her position from the Mandalore leader to a powerless person in her mind, that's why she made the wrong call, and her rescuer didn't do good enough. Like I said, as a Banite Sith, Maul knew the Jedi better than her, even knew Obi Wan better than her.

5. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I think Maul is done being the New Mandalorian's leader. Maybe Almec will do it. I don't know what Sidious has planned for Maul but I don't think it involves letting him rule Mandalore.

6. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    According to an excerpt from The Last Jedi, Maul's been removed from Mandalorian affairs, the Shadow Collective's broken up, and it looks likely that Almec remains in power.
    [​IMG]

SkywalkerSquadron likes this.
  7. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks. I was wondering what happened.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Mostly he will let Dooku take over Mandalore, and that fit the current canon. Which I think that's the one Satine should contact if she wanted to stop the civil war.

9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    With TCW, what's "according to current canon" could become obsolete.

Oh, and I think it was already stated by Filoni that they won't follow the Spar storyline. But you know what I think will happen? The Republic will win the battle with Bo-Katan's dissenters at their side and Mandalore will be aligned with the Republic for the rest of the war. Then, during the Imperial Era, the Mandalorians will work as enforcers under Palpatine.

10. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Doesn't matter. If they don't use him, it still happens offscreen anyway. If they make Bo-Katan and her people Mandalorian Protectors, or Protector analogues, they'll just be retconned as a detachment of Spar's troops. It's not something that's going to go away, not after all this time.

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I guess Bo-Katan won't work with the CIS and Dooku will have her killed.

12. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    It would be a pretty dumbass retcon but I see what you mean. EU writers would do anything to eliminate contradictions, even if it doesn't make sense.

13. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Why Slowpokeking "The Repetitive", are you still talking about this?

14. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    No reason why it wouldn't make sense...

15. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    It wouldn't make sense because the next arc will probably never even make a reference to Spar. Hell, Bo-Katan could declare herself Mandalore and it would be pretty jarring to learn in some comic somewhere that it was really Spar that became Mandalore or that Bo-Katan was only Assistant Mandalore or that she turned out to be some puppet of Spar... without any mention of that being the case in the actual arc. That would exasperate quite a bit.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't see Bo-Katan would be Mandalore for sure, she didn't have enough politic skills nor strength to keep the situation well enough. Her fate will mostly be death, probably at CIS' hand.

17. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Yes, and before I would have said that Darth Maul surviving his bisection at Obi-Wan's saber and falling down a gazillion-feet shaft is impossible.

In TCW, you never know what's going to happen next.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  18. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    The title of Mandalore has never been used in the on-screen series, only in the Shadow Conspiracy novel, so I doubt there's little cause for concern in that regard. The most likely situation is that we'll find her in command of Protector-esque forces, if not the Protectors themselves. And any leadership role can be assumed to be a subordinate one to Spar's overarching command.

Almost as exasperating as forgetting there are ~4 million non-Death Watch warriors living on Mandalore? Almost as exasperating as forgetting that there are large portions of Mandalore that aren't desert? Because if we start getting to everything not shown or mentioned in TCW that is there in larger canon...we're going to be exasperated rather quickly.

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    To retcon Mandalore's direction(join the CIS and betrayed by the Empire) would affect too much EU, including Boba Fett's story. I guess they won't do it, and Bo-Katan won't work with Dooku for sure since CIS tricked them before. So I guess the future won't be too bad, why I don't care much anymore.

20. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Maybe she gives up on the whole Mando politics thing and becomes a bounty hunter or whatever. The galaxy is a big place after all.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Might not be that easy, Dooku would likely offer a deal with her, if she refuses, he would make sure she's dead so there won't be opposition.

22. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Leader, administrator, arch-Mandalorian... The point is it would be annoying to the fans of the series if Bo-Katan turned out to be playing second fiddle to some guy they've never heard of before and that most people don't care about anyhow. She's been portrayed as the leader of her rebels. Nothing suggests otherwise.

It would be even more retarded to find out that she's in command of a faction of Mandalorians that most fans of TCW don't even know or care for. Hell, I've read the EU for years and I didn't start caring until he was brought up in a few discussions. I know fans who don't watch TCW that didn't even know who Spar was until they were told.

Not assumed, made.
    The Mandalorian plot in TCW focuses on the industrialized Sundari Mandalorians, not the clans that still live in the vast jungles outside the desert. They don't need to be brought into this.

Oh, believe me, I'm still pissed off at finding out that IG-88 took over the ****ing Death Star. However, there's a difference between simply not mentioning and portraying Bo-Katan's rebels as Spar's lackeys. They might as well not be the same thing.

Anywho, I'm getting bored of this discussion that I've had a dozen times already.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This, and I don't give a flying **** about Mandalore or anyone on it other than Bo Katan.

If the show revisits Mandalore, I hope it focuses on her.

24. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Firstly, I'd advise you to re-examine your idea of "most people", as I'm aware of a great many people who not only know who Spar is, but are fans of his character and his place in Mandalorian history. That said, Bo-Katan's relationship to Spar would almost certainly be the product of a novel or guide, so it would be no concern to fans of only the series, only a bonus to those fans who enjoy the show within the scope of the larger universe.

Ask series-only fans who the Death Watch was two years ago, and they'd have no answer for you. If the Protectors were introduced, it would be no different. New sect with different ideas and differently colored armor. In fact, they just pulled that off with the red-emblazoned Maul loyalists without everyone losing their minds in confusion. Not to mention that Bo-Katan's rebels fit in almost perfectly with established Protector canon, with the approximate dozen former Death Watch members that joined their ranks.

As a side note, I'd check your use of "retarded" as a pejorative. It's not nearly as acceptable as you seem to believe it is. Just saying.

And yet, you began the argument afresh with me... but whatever.
    It is pointless to argue about now, because only time will tell where the series will go.

25. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I feel there's something I don't know here. What's Slowpoke's deal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.