main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So how many fanforces are on life support

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by beezel26, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    mine despite peaking before eps 3 has pretty much died. i have seen others across ny and canada just well dry up.

so anyone else have that problem and any solutions for it.

2. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Of course there is always going to be the surge in membership around the release of the movie. People get excited about it and want to join the other geeks.

The fan force in Tucson had been put in the Inactive Forums and now look at it. A few very well motivated people who were committed to having fun, doing charity work and sharing in their geekdom have made that forum come alive.

I know that TK-2970 and I are doing CPR on the Charlotte forum by just scheduling events like going to a Con together or attending a concert.

I'd love to start a bookclub and go thru the X-Wing series. I believe Qonas has been quite successful with that in his fan force.

Have a board game night, get someone to grill brats [I mean the sausages, don't harm children, k? :p]

Fan Force is what you put into it. Now, I know you have put in your time beezel so that is more of a general statement.

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    My Fan Force is more active than ever. We've had a nice influx of new people start showing up for events lately. Due to our appearance at the Pittsburgh Comicon and the FanForce Awards most likely. We are starting to plan more than one event a month which is really different than we used to do things. It's a real nice and welcome change.

4. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    After making it through the Winter doldrums KC is just as strong as it was this time last year. We have had a couple events a month plus a meeting. Typically there is something going on every weekend for both official and "unofficial" events.

5. SVAndrei

SVAndrei Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 6, 2004
    Also, the Roamnian FanForce is pretty active as well. It's not dried up yet around here...

6. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    The South Australian Fan Force is rocking! We seem to be growing still.....strange in a relatively small city. ;)

7. WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT

WANNA-BE-JEDI-KNIGHT Jedi Master star 3

Feb 4, 2006
    The Maryland Fan Force died but is now in a coma and something needs to happen to make it alive again. Any suggestions?

8. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Several of my chapters in Canada have died others have donw very well. I think that one of the keys to a successful chapter is the building of friendships between its members. While this may not always happen I find that most of the FanForce folks out there joined a chapter for that very reason. A simple movie meet up or dinner together can go a long way. Unlike the JC where most of the interaction between folks is on the Internet, FanForce has been a place where frienships are
    further solidified by real life interaction and in my 7 years in FanForce I have made alot of friends.

Unfortunately as RSA for Canada, mod for the FF Collecting Market, helping to mod this forum and also being JC Collecting Manager, I do not have alot of time to visit the chapters in Canada but many of the people that I have made friends over the years I am still in contact with thanks to
    FanForce :)

9. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    The Rocky Mountain FanForce is quite alive. We've lost a few memebers, but most of us have known each other for over 4 years now so we're pretty much all family now.

I find just hanging out and doing fun stuff, even if it is not Star Wars related really helps keep things going...

10. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    The Monroe and West Monroe, Louisiana FanForce has pretty much beached itself. We had somewhat of a rush of activity after ROTS, but now...

11. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    CrazyMike hit the nail on the head. Make friendships. That is a key component to fan force.

Also, I think keeping things "light" and emphasizing fun is a good way to keep it alive.

12. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    We're on a growth spurt at the moment in the IEFF. We have a small band of dedicated people who just like to hang and have fun. We just focus on keeping as active as we can and push the word out, we put the word out on various forums and we seem to be getting a few new people.

Hopefully when the new TV shows come to life we'll see even more people coming along.

13. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    That helps...but it's sort of futile when there aren't any Star Wars fans to keep things "light" and emphasize fun with.

14. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I think there are always star wars fans out there.. just sometimes takes a while to find them.. I am infamous for starting conversations with strangers when out and about if I see a person holding a magazine, toy, movie.. anything like that.. I even found a guy to chat star wars with at a baseball game, he had on a star wars shirt and I just went up and started with him.

15. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    Well the fact I live in a small area doesn't help combined with the fact the sci-fi/fantasy con here is almost entirely ruled by Trekkies and Trekkers so gaining SW fan membes hasn't been very easy and our group is still small in size

16. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    you're not alone....we haven't been around that long but had great hopes in late 2004 as more people were trying to find others before RotS premiered. After May of 2005 it became progressively more difficult to get people to attend meetings etc. We decided to meet every other month and to also become more involved with our area's Rebel Legion and 501st which has really given us more energy having a lot of fun and participating in charity a ton. This past weekend Jeremy Bulloch arrived in our town to help raise funds for Toys for Tots and Make a Wish Foundation. It was great weekend - Jeremy is so generous and really devoted a lot of time (going to 3 different locations etc). Our little local group could have never accomplished this - this was primarily a 501st event where they asked us to help out - costumers plus helping with photos, etc. We have another event at a hockey game in March. and last summer our local pro baseball team sponsored a Star Wars Day at one of the games.....and hundreds and hundreds of people wanted photos with Darth Vader, etc etc. Much $ was earned for charity there too.

It seems the best answer, or the one that worked for us, is to combine Star Wars fan groups for mutual benefit.

17. Rasberryjammed

Rasberryjammed Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2006
    FanForce Northeast.. not too shabby

18. darth-blaze

darth-blaze Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    well I think Jacksonville, fl fanforce just called 911. They went down in members with a quickness, when members started picking fights, forceing people out. Right now they are at 5 members left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.