main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social So, how spoiler free will you be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Aug 15, 2013.

1. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    You need to watch the South Park episode where Cartman freezes himself because he can't wait 3 days for Nintendo Wii to come out!

BigAl6ft6, dolphin and KeithyT like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'll watch teasers and trailers. I trust Abrams not to give away too much.

jaqen likes this.
  3. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    So far I've watched the Force for Change videos, looked at the stills/costumes/set from the Abu Dabi(?) set, looked at the Greenham common drone shots, followed JJ and Bad Robot on Twitter, listened to the MakingStarWars podcasts a few too many times, a couple of months or so ago, looked at the "helmet" leak photo, seen the teaser trailer and read too much about the characters and possible plot.

I'm not doing too well so far haha!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Why wouldn't it? It's not like it was a big mystery.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Based on all the wild theories that circulated back in those days, apparently it was to a lot of people.

6. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Unless Bobby Knight mentions them while i'm watching basketball or you hold up a sign on College Game Day, I won't see a spoiler

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

7. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I used to see a rumor/spoiler article and not be able to help myself from clicking. I'm now able to run away - going spoiler-free wasn't easy, but I'm sure I'll be glad I did come December 2015.

Revious Nugo and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  8. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    For some, yes. I guessed Palpatine was Sidious first time I watched TPM because of the camera lingering a bit too long on his face moments after Mace said 'But who was he...the master or the apprentice?' at Gui-Gon's funeral. Plenty of others noticed the resemblance between the cloaked figure and Palpatine's mouth/nose. Still it came as a shock to many, and some uncertain theorists wavered when Palpatine was shown to be 'kidnapped' in ROTS.

For me a key part of Sidious as the main villain in the PT was the mystery surrounding his identity. Would have been quite boring had they let us known from the beginning he was Sidious for certain. Other than showing Palpatine as a Sith, I find that the ROTS trailer gives too much away in that it reveals the location of the major lightsaber battles and who will be fighting who. That's not what I consider a successful trailer.

9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I have a very hard time imagining anyone outside of little kids, brand new Star Wars newbies, and conspiracy theorist fanboys not realizing that Palpatine was Sidious.

Anybody who watched ROTJ prior to 1999 surely knew it.

But I agree. While I still think the PT had some of the best film trailers of all time, they did reveal too much in hindsight. I don't think the VII trailer is anywhere near as well cut as the teasers for the PT, but I do love that it's so sparse and spoils almost nothing.

10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The only reason I knew that Palpatine was Sidious is that I'd heard that the Emperor's name was Palpatine. That info was never revealed in the first movies.

Anyway, I'm glad that I decided to watch the teaser. I'm quite content with that, though. No more TFA trailers for me! I won't be able to avoid posters and the odd pic in the newspaper, nor will I want to. I'm pretty sure that I'll want to be much more careful around these boards once the next trailer shows up, though.

11. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    I still can't beleive there were people who didn't know that Palpatine was the Emperor :rolleyes:

Lando Swarm and jaqen like this.
  12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Well, it was just an 88-second teaser after all... obviously we'll get something a lot less sparse in the full-length trailer.

13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Even considering the the length, I enjoyed previous teasers more. The AOTC breathing teaser trailer was only about 55 seconds, equally as sparse, but for me more effective.

As far as the eventual VII full trailer, something tells me it'll be a lot less spoiler laden than some of the full length PT trailers though.

14. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    People would argue anything during the Prequels, figuring there was more of a reason for Palpatine to show himself as two people, and I remember pointing out all the clues that proved Palpatine was Sidious in addition to what just seemed obvious. I went into TPM not knowing a thing so it was startling to see the Emperor Look so early in TPM. I didn't even pick up on the mention of the name Sidious and learned it after watching.
    I expect to quickly shut my eyes for a moment when the opening crawl starts only to tell myself "it's okay now, this is it!"
    I've been doing a lot of Firefox image blocking and scrolling sites carefully, trying not to look at the sidebars and being careful about Star Wars related Google searches. Once you start down that path...you can't stop, and keeping up with everything actually makes the wait feel longer. The wait between I and II felt sooo long, but not so much between II and III because I stayed away.

Revious Nugo and Frank T. like this.
  15. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Yes! Keeping up with everything became such a chore - a half dozen different new rumors (a lot of them contradictory) posted on different sites each day becomes slightly unmanageable to keep up with.

16. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I was really active in a Star Wars messageboard then and I kept checking on casting, the Episode II Select pictures and videos and all that so having Star Wars on my mind so much didn't help the movie come any faster. Just sitting in the theater when seating started and knowing I had to wait two hours felt unbearable.

17. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    I used to be anable to avoid spoilers. Then, a couple weeks ago, I finally quit and became officially spoiler free. Now, whenever I'm tempted to do something, I just watch the teaser again. It works great!

I may have to make the NSA forum the only one I visit. i've noticed lately that the CT, PT, and saga forums are starting to fill up with rumors here and there.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Is nowhere safe? [face_worried]

19. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    So far I've seen that first J.J. Abrams video, one of his pictures of a note, a descriptive headline, and glimpsed two pictures from the teaser while scrolling around. Quickly averting eyes from a partial photograph still makes it seen enough to know what was seen. That's actually pretty good considering what's out there, but the danger lies in seeing some kind of Star Wars image that I don't even know is from the teaser or the movie and could be from that or could be from someone's artwork or from a video game. I was spoiler-free for Interstellar but it wasn't until that last week leading up to the release that I saw pictures of McConaghey in a space suit, a space ship, and learned that Jessica Chastain and Michael Caine were even in the movie.

20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I was in the 7SA section for the last year or so and didn't see much more than you did. I'm not sure if that's indicative of how little is truly out there, or how good I am at avoiding spoilers even when they're right under my nose.

I saw Jessica's name once and didn't know Caine was until I saw him onscreen. Incidentally I'm heading to a second viewing this Saturday. Can't recall the last time I saw a film twice in the theaters. Maybe The Dark Knight?

21. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    Teasers and trailers. Possibly other little things. Avoiding the spoiler board completely.

22. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Eventually this trailer is going to pop up as an advertisement on YouTube (on my TV) when I'm trying to watch another video. The commercials have been more invasive with them coming before just about every video, some with the option to skip an ad in five seconds but others without an option. I just avoided hearing and watching a Big Eyes commercial.

23. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Still spoiler free for me at this point. I'll admit to being tempted to watch the teaser, but I was able to abstain. I know it's going to be tougher to avoid spoilers as the movie nears, but I'm still planning on avoiding any and all spoilers, even if it means I have to stay off of social media and what not.

Frank T. likes this.
  24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I've never been too active a poster during the films. Does the NSA section eventually get pretty popping, or does it stay this dead?

25. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I discovered a Firefox add-on called F.B. Purity that allows the hiding of the trending news ticker and other customizations. One step closer to maintaining.

Frank T. likes this.