main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social So, how spoiler free will you be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Aug 15, 2013.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Hm, my bad, it seems the report about the trailer/poster was a rumour rather than an official announcement.
    It does seem likely though.

The rumour was from Collider, btw. Anyone know if they are reliable?

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    my visits to the spoiler forum are getting less and less and generally only clicking on a select few threads. the pretty much mandatory Avengers bundled trailer I'm in for but after that gonna try to lock down.

jaqen and Lando Swarm like this.
  3. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Well, I know there's absolutely no way that I'll be able to avoid seeing the poster. Even if I successfully turn of the internet and block all communication (because no matter how much I tell my friends and family that I'm spoiler free, they still try to impress me,) I know that one of my students will burst in with a copy of the thing. They'll probably go on sale pretty quickly, I bet I'll have one hanging in my classroom by the end of the month. (Fun fact - I learned about the title of the film when one of my students burst into my classroom and yelled "The Force Awakens!" and then just left.)

The trailer, well, I'm seeing Avengers, and there's no way I'm strong enough to watch the trailer. I'm just going to cross my fingers that it doesn't spoil anything fun. I know it won't have any major plot spoilers, but the Episode I trailer spoiled Darth Maul's double-bladed lightsaber, and while that didn't wreck the film for me, I think it would've been much cooler had I seen it for the first time in the theater. Of course, I'm glad they spoiled a certain saber this time - I would've choked on my drink laughing when I saw it if the theater was my first exposure to it.

DARTH_BELO and hippie1kenobi like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm pulling kind of the same trick with Avengers: Age of Ultron, watched the bejesus outta the first teaser and only caught snippiets of the rest, haven't plunked down and watched the 2nd trailers or the TV ads, etc. however, images from them pop up all the time and I listen to podcasts and they'll describe it / play audio. Which seems like a decent enough tease.

5. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Fun fact - kids can be real *****, says this father of two teenagers. ;-)

Frank T. likes this.
  6. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That's interesting to see that younger people care.

7. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    I was thinking that the younger generation (my generation) aren't as star wars crazy as the older one, but then yesterday at track practice some people started talking about Star Wars, and that's when I realized how much excitement there is for the new movie, all across the board. These weren't "nerdy" kids, these were regular, athletic kids.

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Leia, Luke, and Han; the droids and Chewie would be a nice bonus, but not necessary. That's it. Once I see images of them I should be good until December.

I'm finding it very easy to stay away from spoilers on this thing. I'm not remotely tempted beyond just wanting to see images of the returning heroes.

9. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    As it should be. I never read/heard fans of Star Wars being referred to as "geeks" and "nerds" before The Phantom Menace. STAR WARS was simply a hugely popular movie series. Everyone knew about it and generally liked it. It may have been something old and in some ways forgotten to some since it was generally over by 1985 but the "nerd"/"geek" talk was used to describe Star Trek fans. It would be like calling anyone interested in The Avengers or The Dark Knight a geek or a nerd and in a niche audience.

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This is an interesting cultural thing. As I've understood it, in the US it is much more "OK" to be interested in things like The Avengers, The Dark Knight and Star Wars - even if you're not a geek/nerd - than it is in Sweden.
    I mean, the genereal audience likes those movies, sure. But they're just movies. If you're actually interested in them (as in: reading about them, discussing them a lot, etc.) even as a kid, then you're a nerd. No way around it. And nerds/geeks are still looked down upon quite a lot here (it's slowly getting better thankfully).
    American views on pop culture seem to be healthier and more inclusive than Swedish ones. Of course, we beat those guys in everything else!*

Though, I've never been to the US, so maybe it's not really true, and all my American friends are just geeks.

*I kid, I kid, relax ;) :p

11. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I think it was partly different in the past because of the toy line. Kids don't seem to really care about toys now and the stuff seems to be marketed to adults more than to kids. Star Wars toys thrived almost without anything else similar to them until 1982 when Masters of the Universe and GI Joe came along. Also, it was because there just weren't so many other movies out there. Now, everything has state-of-the-art cutting edge awesome visual effects showing battles, vehicles, cities, crashes, robots, aliens, creatures, weapons, good and evil, and mythological storytelling. Someone can get that fix from superhero movies, space fantasy movies, movies about toys that come to life, old fairy tales, whatever. Thirty years ago, there wasn't really anything with that same combination. For example, Legend and Tron and The Last Starfighter looked awesome and had a lot of work in them but they had their own styles that some people got and some didn't.

12. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I wonder how much of that is attributable to the fact that when the movies came out, they did appeal to all audiences, but as lots of time passed between TPM and ROTJ, the kids that fell in love with Star Wars started growing up and were now adults in love with Star Wars. Society is much more understanding of a kid who loves sci-fi and fantasy, much less so of adults who continue to like it once they've grown up. (They're wrong, of course.)

13. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I logged out of e-mail and noticed a headline referring to the "fanfare and opening." That's all I read. Of course with the movies not being 20th Century Fox, this was to be expected. Two years ago in the speculation stage I wanted someone to answer just what would be in that opening, but at this point I don't want to know until I'm in the theater in December.

14. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I haven't been to the SA forum since early December and didn't feel like going again until earlier today. Might have just been a case of heavy boredom, but nonetheless I was able to ride it out lol. I'm sure I'll thank myself when the movie comes out and I don't know much about it.

Lando Swarm likes this.
  15. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Those people lack self-confidence and let the opinions or assumed opinions of others control their lives.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  16. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    What you saw was probably stories about the digital editions that just came out. New cue with the LFL for all but IV. Not TFA specific, though...that is still unknown.

17. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Huh? Why the heck would they do that?
    I know why... Disney having the rights now. Ha. Anyone who will pay for those digital releases just to be able to stream Star Wars has just got to be...
    That's good to know though; I'll know to avoid any Lucasfilm content until The Force Awakens.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'll probably read Aftermath and any other TFA-prequel adult novels (maybe a synopsis too), but other than that I will try to remain in the dark as much as possible.

Oh, and I'll probably watch the trailers/TV spots. I almost forgot about them lol

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I was (up until recently) jumping regularly back and forth between here and the 7SA forum. But there are rumors coming about that are getting a bit too risky on there now for my taste. About a week ago, I was glancing thru a thread on there, and my eyes came in contact with a bit of a potentially major spoiler. It's something I had assumed for TFA, but I'd definately prefer not to know that detail! Granted, it's just a rumor at this point, and although not ALL of them are true, some are apparently.

Because of that I will be likely shutting myself out of the 7SA forum permanently once we see the new trailer. I don't want to risk seeing some rumor that I feel spoiled by, and ending up finding out in December that it's true!

jaqen likes this.
  20. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    Yeah, even some threads that had previously been fairly safe in SA (Celebration, possible trailer 2, etc) are getting bad. Somebody recently posted what appeared to be the entire rough outline of the film in a thread that was just discussing when/if a new trailer might go online. I scrolled past that in a flash, but it was a wake-up call.

jaqen and Death_Jar_Jar like this.
  21. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    the SA forum isn't even a temptation for me these days.

jaqen likes this.
  22. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I've decided to check out the poster today, but no trailer. I'm also not gonna look at any promotional pics.

With the last Planet of the Apes film I was exposed to a MAJOR spoiler through a promotional pic on the front page of IMDB. It basically killed any of the mystery that was clearly supposed to be in the first two acts =/

23. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Now is the time! Trailer news and accompanying pictures have popped up on that annoying social network. I can stay away from here easily as I try to dodge everything else but "See ya later, dudes!"

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I am knee deep in a spoiler orgy today with the new teaser release (and have stumbled across a few more things that I shouldn't have, dammit) but pulling the ripcord after this one. On teasers / trailers at least.

25. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    It's easy enough to avoid internet, tv, fast food, slurpee cups and toys r us but I think the one thing that will leave me open to attack is that I won't be able to avoid the kids for months. It's time to have a serious conversation and tell them to not let me see them with a happy meal.