main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social So, how spoiler free will you be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Aug 15, 2013.

1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Spending a little time back in 7SA for teaser trailer discussion actually didn't yield much in the way of spoilers. I saw a couple rumors that I'd already specced on well over a year ago, so no surprise if they're true, and allusions to an event or two, but no details. What actually stood out were the spoiler junkies who were surprised by some things from the teaser having assumed they knew everything, or that their sources were pretty infallible. I'm thinking, as I did when I left posting regularly over there, a lot of them aren't really as spoiled as they think.

But I won't be tempting heading back much though. Not a place I want to be.

2. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    One more thing... It just occurred to me that this trailer hasn't been in a theater yet, except maybe at Celebration, and on the internet. It reminds me of how the trailer for the Special Edition in 1997 touted the release for the ability to see Star Wars again on the big screen instead of the small one. Now that presentation doesn't seem to matter. Anyway, I've recently twice had to avert my eyes on other sites from a picture showing two unmistakable main characters together but I WILL NOT relax and say "oh I'll look at it" because that's how spoilers overcome you. You see something then think "well, yeah, I knew that would happen", slowly eroding the shock and surprise of little things or story elements as you tell yourself that. Then when you finally see the movie, and--to use Attack of the Clones as an example--you won't get a kick out of something like Obi-Wan now having a beard or Yoda in action like you should at that time.

MOC Yak Face and Frank T. like this.
  3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    This trailer has really tested my willpower!

4. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I kind of regret seeing the new teaser because you're right, seeing images that seem minor can actually subtly take away from the real experience. The best times I've had at the movies were when I went in completely blind. While I'm sure watching it won't ruin the movie, I had forgotten my reasons going spoiler free.

Will definitely avoid the full length trailer, and for EP VIII, I'm gonna avoid all news and images no matter how minor they seem. Thankfully there are still plenty of surprises left in regards to TFA

5. Carrie1138

Carrie1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2014
    I saw it in a theatre - at the simulcast in London. On an IMAX screen, no less. Let me tell you, it was mindblowing.

6. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not gonna go see more than 1 or 2 action movies for the rest of the wait so that I don't get burned out on them like I have in the past. I can only take so many explosions and loud guns. I just passed up on free tix to see Avengers early.

7. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I was a Spoiler Forum poster back when Ep1 came out and kept myself in spoiler territory for the rest of the PT. With these movies...I've read a little over in 7 SA, but want to avoid big reveals. Who remembers Qui-Gon's death being spoiled with a freaking track listing?! I just don't want to ruin this for me.

8. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    From what I've gathered, even with the past two teaser trailers, plus whatever spoilerific people have deduced...no one knows what's going on with this movie. No one knows plot points, and this is a very good thing. Stick to this forum if you're concerned about spoilers!

9. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Likewise, but I'm standing strong. The day it dropped my facebook went crazy, so it was bye bye phone for a few days to let the dust settle

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    ...After Celebration weekend, I have pretty much learned all that I'd have wanted to know about TFA until it comes out. I'm perfectly fine if I don't find out anything else (other than what we see in trailers).

I have just now officially signed off of the 7SA forum until after December 18.

I'm here with you guys the rest of the way thru!! :)

11. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Beware, people. May the Fourth is coming and will be a time to avoid stuff.
    Isn't it neat how we can't make ourselves forget images and words that we see? I still remember back in 2002 a few months before Attack of the Clones when I teased myself highlighting to read spoiler text before seeing "Anakin missing an arm." In the last week I unsubscribed from a YouTube channel because the person went to Celebration Anaheim and titled a video with "(character first names) costumes revealed." I don't remember what those names were though and I did the usual automatic eyes averting. I also had to quickly look away when seeing a picture of J.J. Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy with a droid. I also blocked some avatars of some users here.
    Why am I still here?

Dewback likes this.
  12. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I will watch trailers, some official info, read Journey to TFA series etc..
    I've learnt from my previus mistake...Before ROTS I have read literally every rumor, watched every single movie clip. Basically I saw almost everything once the movie opened. Trying to avoid it this time....
    Although it will be hard in December, since premiere in my country is one week later, so entire internet will be already buzzing about this movie:_|

Dewback likes this.
  13. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I was spoiled for the first two films...for ROTS, no spoilers! I enjoyed the movie much, much more.
    You are in Poland? Maybe find a DB train to Berlin for the premiere! Hehehe! I may work overseas this year, and I will plan for my vacation around this movie.

14. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    Damn, good point! I will have to think about travelling there.. hmmm..
    I have just bought ticket to my first ever Celebration!!!! It will be insane:D

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  15. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I just did something I should have done a while back: customized the image Adblocking to hide all avatars here, since it is apparently hard for me to stay away completely. I'm definitely not going to the main TheForce.net page. Hee hee. I'll do the same elsewhere.
    Now if I can just make an effort to stay away from sites like Variety, FlickeringMyth or whatever even for stories not related to Star Wars, because those pesky sidebars show stuff.

16. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I just have a bookmark straight to this particular forum. I really hope you can hold out 'till December. I hope we can make this an environment that you can discuss certain things without being spoiled. You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm getting more scared of wandering outside of this section of the forum. I happened upon something today that might have been a big spoiler (or just speculation - I'm not sure, since I looked away quite fast) in the Mortis thread in the TV section. Quite soon I'll be leaving every section except this one to avoid spoilers, which is sad, especially considering Rebels season 2 will start before TFA comes out.

18. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I've been avoiding the TV forums and Rebels stuff, and the Rebels show. Most topics in the forums for the films don't interest me because I've already visited and answered them. Out of habit I post in the "last movie watched" thread. I considered looking at some Celebration Anaheim pictures but quickly decided against it since I won't know if I'm looking at something inspired by the new movie or the existing Expanded Universe or a customized costume like those Mandalorian Mercs or what.

19. Mr. Crumb

Mr. Crumb Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2013
    I hope to be MUCH better about avoiding the spoilers than I was for Episode III...I could list the events of the film in chronological order before ever seeing it.:oops:

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Are the Vanity Fair photos considered spoilers in these parts? They are officially released, but are from a magazine, so I'm not really sure about the policy.

EHT can we have thread for them, as well as other official pictures that no doubt will be released between now and December?

21. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    MTE!!!

I want to discuss them but I don't want to go to spoilers threads:_|

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Right, it wasn't released directly by LFL/Disney, but it was obviously done with their blessing as part of the TFA marketing plan... so that should count as Official. Let's contain it all in one new thread.

Edit: Which I see now was already started. Looks good.

23. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    hopefully I can be relatively spoiler free from now onwards,

I will watch TV spots and any more trailers that are released, and maybe listen out for any planet names I'm familiar with, but for plot details, I think I want to be surprised :)

24. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The merch hits the shelves at the beginning of Sept. Gonna hafta finish my toy shopping before then.

25. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    That's my game plan as well. Although I think the Dark Side is working hard on convincing me to read the "Aftermath" novel. So much temptation!

There's one thing that we might not have considered...that the stuff will get bought and sold out! I hope there's not a saturation of merchandise like there was for Episode I. I was spoiler free for Episode III, but I bought an Episode III Yoda before ROTS. I made sure not to look at the back, and I just left it in the shopping bag until after I saw the movie.