main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social So, how spoiler free will you be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Aug 15, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm still going to try to not watch the full trailer (the teaser I'm pushing ALL IN on). as for the full trailer playing in front of summer blockbusters / fall movies in 2015 (which it definitely will, many times), there's always time to run, preferably not screaming, from the theatre for a quickie bathroom break. Or just close your eyes and listen instead. But last-minute bathroom break is probably the best choice of defense.

dolphin likes this.
  2. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Unfortunately, I spoiled myself with set photos, nothing big to me. I just hope I can with hold myself from any major leaks.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

4. JaymieSecord

JaymieSecord Jedi Padawan

Jul 19, 2014
    I'm trying. Please help. Spoilers are so addictive, but as possible plot points begin to surface, rumors of possible confirmations for VIII and IX, I know it's time to go spoiler free if I am to reach my goal of going in the VII with no plot points or trailers.

I need help. The spoiler forums are so much more interesting to read.... And I get it.... But if these forums were more lively, I'd have more to read in here!

My plan is to not see one frame of film before Dec 18th, 2015. I don't want to see the lighting, cinematography, drama, excitement, title sequence, etc. It's so hard, but it's going to be such a better theater going experience this way. I can't wait!

dolphin and stormcloud8 like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dude, are you trolling?

6. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    I'm going to try to just watch the trailers and whatever promotional material and nothing else. I remember I practically knew everything about Clones when it was released and there really weren't any surprises at all and kind of made the viewing a checklist event. When I saw Phantom Menace, I knew nothing about it and it was an amazing experience so I'm definitely going that with this go around.

AgentCoop and stormcloud8 like this.
  7. JaymieSecord

JaymieSecord Jedi Padawan

Jul 19, 2014
    Really wasn't intending to, nah, sorry if it came off like that.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    I'm really, REALLY trying to go spoiler-free this time around. I tried to go spoiler-free for each of the Prequels and failed miserably, but I figure it's worth another shot. We'll see. When it comes to Star Wars spoilers, I usually have all the willpower of a heroin addict, but I hope to be as spoiler-free as possible on opening day.

BigAl6ft6 and stormcloud8 like this.
  9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Hopefully the novel will come out before so I can read it.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    We were discussing that in the SA forum. Wouldn't you consider the novel to be a spoiler if read before seeing the movie?

11. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    From henceforth, I plan to be 3/10 as far as spoilers go.

I've adopted that tactic for several recent films and glad I did. I enjoyed the films so much more that way. It was like everything was new to my virgin eyes! I went back a couple of times and watched the trailers I missed and it only confirmed the benefits of avoiding them.

Like you, I will watch the 1st teaser. As far as avoiding the later ones, I find that pretending to rub my ears and closing my eyes does the trick. If you close your ears and open them in rapid succession it does a good job of breaking up the dialogue into something semi-unintelligible (simply closing your ears may not be enough to drown out what's being said). I talk about being 3/10 in spoilers now but it will be VERY tough to avoid them, especially the full trailers which I consider spoiler material (JJ's secrecy may negate Hollywood's tendency to saturate the market with marketing).

Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I started off fairly ambivalent about spoilers, but as time goes by I'm becoming more and more resolved to being as spoiler free as possible. Thus far I know the director and some of the main cast and that's it. I think I can honestly say that if I bumped into most of the cast members in the street I'd have no idea who they are.

stormcloud8 and dolphin like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah haven't tried flat out rubbing my ears yet but kinda "listening" to a trailer isn't all that bad, most trailers don't feature much dialogue, especially action movies ones when tend to near the end the audio devolves into snippets of dialogue, explosions, and "BWANNNRNMMM" noises.

14. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

In some cases trailers can give away plot points. Alot depends on just how oblivious I want to be. For Edge of Tomorrow, I did not know want to know what it was about. During one trailer screening, I could tell Tom Cruise was beginning to give away the basic premise of the movie in his voice-over so I tried the rubbing ears method. It worked! I came in not knowing what the movie was about (Cruise+sci-fi was enough for them to take my $$), I hadn't seen the creature design, did not know the overall look of the film...it was great!

I did the same with Gravity (did not see the debris clouds until the movie), Captain America, and Guardians of the Galaxy as far as the later trailers go.

Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The only thing I'm really gonna be avoiding are story spoilers. Other stuff I don't mind probably

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Question: would an original prequel tie-in comic (which Marvel comics lovvvvves to do, even for movies Disney Studios doesn't own ie. Amazing Spider-Man) constitute a "spoiler" to some? I'm sure it would on this board, obviously, but I'm talking personal. Like, if it's a tie-in prequel fiction, I actually don't think of it as a spoiler, really (as they tend to not give away much of anything, really, aside from maybe what characters look like, where they might start their journey, etc.) I think of it as a part of the larger story fabric of the flick.

17. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes. I don't want to see or hear anything before I see VII. All I need to know before I buy my ticket is that it's Star Wars.

18. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I watch a lot of trailers on youtube these days. I would say around 90% of them pretty much show the entire plot and after watching there is no need to see the movie. I just don't get why the studios do this, it is sooo stupid

dolphin likes this.
  19. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

It's all about getting butts in seats, screw the disappointment over getting spoiled. We have your money. The marketing teams are all about going as far as they can without showing too much.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    The Two Towers trailer springs to mind re: Gandalfs not dead

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The trailer for ROTS spoiled almost every major plot twist lol
    I'm definitely gonna try to stay away from ep VII trailers

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The ROTS teaser trailer should have ended after the table Vader was on rose him up. Love the trailer but it should not have shown the Anakin and Obi-Wan duel.

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    After seeing all of the new speculation and rumors popping up lately, I fear that some of them might actually be true. So this will be my official migration to the NSA Forum From here on in.

I will still see things like trailers and whatnot, (I don't think I would be able to have the willpower to avoid those), but I will be avoiding all plot rumors from this point forward…

I refuse to be be spoiled the way I was for ROTS. I want to feel that sense of surprise and shock while in the theater seeing the movie for the first time once again (like I did when seeing AOTC)!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. scruffylookingnerf

scruffylookingnerf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2014
    I was planning to be completely spoiler-free apart from seeing the trailer, but reading this thread I'm starting to think that maybe it'll be better not to see the trailer and watc te movie, as someone here put it "with virgin eyes" :D. I'm afraid that won't be easy to do, though and I'll eventually watch the trailer.

I would also definitely have to stop visiting these boards for a few days following the premiere as there will be more or less a week of delay between the premieres in the US and my country.

25. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    I was almost spolied again by damn facebook and a certain movie magazine

BigAl6ft6 likes this.