So I finally beat Dark Forces...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Waning Drill, Apr 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. Waning Drill Jedi Knight

star 5
    This thing had been gathering dust on my shelf since 1995. I had completely forgotten about it. So last week I finally got around to finishing what I started.

It didn't take me very long, but in some ways I thought it was actually more difficult than JK! I thought I would breeze right through it, but, strangely enough, it seems I was felled by Imperials a lot more often than I was in JK. And on some levels the enemies would simply materialize out of nowhere!

The puzzles were also more tedious. Too many damn switches. And I miss my lightsaber - fighting four Kell dragons with nothing but my bare fists sucks.

However, I did like Kyle's arsenal a lot more in this game. The mines were mostly useless since I couldn't drop them off a ledge here, but on the flipside I had plenty of explosive weapons to use in their place. :)

The Dark Troopers were every bit as tough as they were touted to be, but I expected General Mohc to be a little bit more challenging. And Boba Fett was, once again, a complete pushover.

Anyways, I think I'll go beat Jedi Outcast now....
  2. bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It took me along time to beat the Detention Block level.
  3. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    The Shuttle at the very end was a lovely sight.

The most simple of polygon constructions proved most momentus.
  4. Waning Drill Jedi Knight

star 5
    That level (the detention facility) was indeed a headache. The hardest, I thought, was the level on board the space station that precedes the Executor mission. That level has a spontaneous enemy generator, which made eluding the Trandoshans and their concussion rifles almost impossible.
  5. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I saw this game at CompUSA for $10 for Win 95/98, is it worth it? (Yah, I've got JO too)
  6. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Definitely worth it. Dark Forces is still one of my all-time favorite games. Unfortunately, on my newest computer I couldn't get the sound to work so it's not really worth playing. I have a DOS version, though, so the version you saw would probably work.
  7. Waning Drill Jedi Knight

star 5
    I initially had the same problem with finding the right sound card. Windows 2000 apparently does not carry it, but fortunately for me I have two computers, one of which still has Windows 95 installed on it. That one worked just fine.
  8. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I have XP on my new comp, but my old one has 98, so if it doesn't work on this one, I could just play it on that one.

I'll probably end up buying it. :)
  9. bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan

star 4
  10. DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight

star 5
    Does anybody whose beat JO know how long (hours) it took you to beat it? I dont like short games, and i know this isnt a short game, but id still like to know how long it took you to beat it.
  11. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Dark Forces PC Legnth (As decreed by Prima Publishing) Rated the odd 8 years ago Dark Forces was released.
    Experienced Gamer: 9-12 hours.
    Gamer: 12-24 hours.
    Kiddies: 24-48 hours.
    386 Owner: 36-128 hours.
  12. Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I imagine that a lot of the old custom levels for the original DF are still online for download too. Some of them were excellent... better than the actual levels, IMHO. (And some of them just totally bit, too...) One bunch of guys put together this big multi-level mod (DF 97, perhaps? Something like that?) which I was really impressed by.

The DF graphics pale in comparison to what's out now, but it's still a damned fun game! I should fire mine back up again one of these times.
  13. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Multiplayer in DF?

I must have missed that.
  14. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Who said anything about DF MP?

The worst bit about playing that game (Dark Forces) is no free-mouse look. So wierd using keys to look up/down. You'd think someone would have made a mouse-look patch.

15. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Are you serious? Oooooooo, that is SO uncool.
  16. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
  17. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Well, that's bloody bloody, so I never played it. (the first 'bloody' of course is an adjective of the second 'bloody')
  18. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Heh, I never learned to use the mouse in an FPS until I started playing JK multiplayer last fall. It seemed perfectly normal to me to use just the keyboard when I played DF, and all three times that I played through single player JK. [face_laugh]

There are some truly awesome DF levels created by fans. [link=http://www.commandchamber.net/reviews/df/display.php3?name=kurek]Mt. Kurek[/link] is my all-time favorite--the ending has to be seen to be believed. It's unfortunate that JK single player editing never reached the levels it did with DF.
  19. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    LOL Jeff! I played with keys for about 2 years. I still used keys even after playing MP for several months. :p

Silly me. :p
  20. Waning Drill Jedi Knight

star 5
    I never bothered to use the mouse in JK unless I was sniping at someone and needed to make my shots count. And DF has much better auto-targeting than its successors anyway.
  21. WSAENOTSOCK Jedi Youngling

star 1
    there IS mouse look in DF

I bound it to shift and kept it pressed all the time so i can use mouse/keyboard combo

How people can play keyboard only (with the exception of the orig Wolfenstein 3D and Doom - but Doom 95 had mouse support) is beyond me.

Fiddle around with the settings, there definitely is mouse look for DF

22. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Wow. Sweet. Is that on the original DOS version or just a later Windows re-release, I wonder?

23. WSAENOTSOCK Jedi Youngling

star 1
    original DOS i think

I played it a whiiilllee back ago.

Kinda annoying that mouse look isn't a toggle, the poor pinky got worked big time
  24. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Waning_Drill, you use auto-targeting?

LOL.
  25. Darth_Simpson Jedi Master

star 4
    Heh, just use a piece of paper and jam it in next to the key you're supposed to press down. That'll hold it in place.. Puts the pressure off the pinky. ;)
Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.