main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So I finally beat Dark Forces...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Waning Drill, Apr 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Jeff 42, I was fairly disappointed in the comparative lack of quality single-player mod levels for JK too. It seemed as if all people wanted to create were arenas for online play, and IMHO after awhile that gets fairly repetitive. (Mt. Kurek, BTW, is a level I recall enjoying the hell out of, but it's been so long I couldn't tell ya why!) ;)

And Solo Command, (assuming it was my "multi-level mod" statement that you were asking about)I wasn't talking about multiplayer on DF. I was talking about a custom level package which included multiple levels all strung together with a common story. It was actually pretty damned good for a homemade custom job.

2. CrixMakin

CrixMakin Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2002
    Bloody hard. Would have been simple with mouselook, but hey, it was 1995..

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I remember when I first got it I couldn't beat level three, so I shelved the game for months, finally came back to it, and was able to beat the whole thing within the day. I still love that game, though. I used to turn on invincibility, pile a whole ton of mines under me, and use them to jump really high. Better than force jump.

4. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    If they'd brought back the Dark Trooper gun in JK, I'da been one happy maniac . . . :( . . . putting on "rampage mode" and uncorking that thing was a very satisfying sight [face_devil]

5. Coligeon

Coligeon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    Like Sithman, is indeed this game worth the price even without the lightsaber heh? I enjoyed JK and enjoy JO a lot (waitin' for single player maps to come in abundance) and never really looked into this game. probably because it was older and no lightsaber. Does it give a good star wars atmosphere? Thanks.

6. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    It's definately worth the $10 you'll likely find it on sale for. You get to mow down lots of stormtroopers. :)

I just recommend turning the brightness up a bit, since I couldn't see a thing on the default setting.

I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I'm presently enjoying JO. [face_plain]

7. Coligeon

Coligeon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    Thanks Waning Drill. Lol, I just now realized there might be a demo out there...and there was. Lol, reminds me of Doom 2 without quite as good of graphics. From playing the demo, I think I enjoy JO wasy more heh. I have to have my lightsaber ^_^.

8. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Dark Forces was back in the day, and I remember I owned it for the Mac and it looked so much smoother than my friend's PC version did.

9. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I found out how to get the sound working for Dark Forces on my current computer! I had to get a Soundblaster emulator. I got VDMSound, and it works. The game is still lots of fun. I'm looking forward to playing some of my favorite levels again, and trying some of the more recently released levels that I haven't played yet.

10. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    I just beat DF on Hard difficulty for the first time. What a game!

11. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    ah, memories...

DF was a great game at the time, it took me about a month to beat the prison level.

12. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Pros & Cons Of Dark Forces

Pros

1) It's a Star Wars game.
    2) Most likely the best of the 3 Katarn games.
    3) Lots of fun.
    4) The perfect game for the more serious gamer.
    5) The perfect game for the gamer who seeks a challenge and likes solving puzzles.
    6) The pefect game for all SW fans.
    7) The kind of game you wished never ended and you wanna play it over and over again.

Cons

1) Quite a few levels are extemely difficult and nearly impossible.
    2) It takes a long time to beat the game due to how hard some levels are and how long they are.
    3) The sound and music adds some horror and fear to the atmosphere. (Personally, the sound and music scare the crap out of me when I play. I'd be walking through the sewers hearing music that sounds horrible and I hear a noise. Then, I would turn around and whatever it is would scare the living crap out of me.)
    4)Though it was a great game with acceptable graphics at the time, they could have been better.
    5) Some bosses are too easy.

Rating (10 the highest and 1 the lowest)

Graphics: 6
    Sound: 7
    Music: 7
    Entertainment value: 10
    Lasting effect: 1,000,000
    Overall (Not an average): 10 billion

But still, Dark Forces is one of the best games I'v ever played, but not the hardest. Escape From Monkey Island was the hardest game I've ever played. It was impossible to beat it woithout a guide.

13. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    Cons

1) Quite a few levels are extemely difficult and nearly impossible.

If you have no skills, maybe.

2) It takes a long time to beat the game due to how hard some levels are and how long they are.

Yesterday, I played through the last ten levels on Hard. Now granted, I'd beaten the game before, but it had been quite a while. If anything, it's too short.

3) The sound and music adds some horror and fear to the atmosphere. (Personally, the sound and music scare the crap out of me when I play. I'd be walking through the sewers hearing music that sounds horrible and I hear a noise. Then, I would turn around and whatever it is would scare the living crap out of me.)

It's called good atmosphere. How is this a con?

4)Though it was a great game with acceptable graphics at the time, they could have been better.

They're good enough for me.

5) Some bosses are too easy.

I'll give you this one. Especially Boba Fett (although I remember thinking he was pretty tough back in the day).

Dark Forces is a damn near perfect game, especially with all the great add-on levels that can be downloaded.

14. ROGUE_SIX

ROGUE_SIX Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    J.K.2:Jedi Outcast comes out soon. Maybe it already is. They(P.C. mags) say it will top the last two in every aspect.High hopes! :D :D :D :D

15. HellSpit

HellSpit Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2000
    Kid, its been out for 6 weeks now...

16. jangosdna

jangosdna Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2001
    The psx version took me nearly a year to beat w/o cheating

Damn third level through the sewers...

17. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    The Jabba's ship level was the toughest for me...

Not beating the reeks, but getting my gear back: it's just hanging there, but I thought it was a skeleton on a chain (played too much DOOM), and didn't pay attention to it...

a friend figured it out in 10 seconds, really emberassing.

18. WSAENOTSOCK

WSAENOTSOCK Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2001
    lol, I remember those skeletons on sticks lol...

DF IS a hard game. One of the tougher FPSes I've played. Even on medium. It's hard cos the vertical view is kinda restricted, difficult to spot vital spots and ledges on chasms. And this is coming from a very experienced FPS player. I can see how it can be overwhelming for some, expecially if they haven't tried the original DooM or Quake (where you come across near impossible baddies)

The later Darktroopers are toughies, and it took me ages trying to find keys and exit points. I remember going through that ice-planet level, my first time through I didn't know about those ice cleats so I spent forever trying to traverse the ice.

The atmosphere is great, the music gets a bit too repetitive, but I don't mind that much. Tinny MIDI music... and to think it was one of the best hehe. It does get a tad eerie at some points, those dianogas made me tense, that's for sure. And the lighting is old-school lovely. You NEED those light-amplification goggles and flashlights, unlike almost all games nowadays where you do have them, but don't use em cos the dark areas are not dark enough to need them.

I just played through Mt.Kurek the other day. Pretty tough map, but very well done.

19. Morrowind

Morrowind Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    I cant play it on win2k [face_pissed]

20. WSAENOTSOCK

Oct 7, 2001
    Get DOS6.0 or something. Or install 98SE in a partition.

21. Morrowind

May 2, 2002
    Cant install 98 on a NTFS partition and dos6.0 and any other version wont run on it T-T

22. WSAENOTSOCK

Oct 7, 2001
    get another hdd and slave it. Or play it in an older computer!

23. Morrowind

May 2, 2002
    If it was that simple it would have been done by now....

24. WSAENOTSOCK

Oct 7, 2001
    It is simple. A P166 can run the thing.

25. Morrowind

May 2, 2002
    If the 166 wasent as reliable as the falcon it would be fine..

I need a new old computer hehe, it wont run on the 66 for some reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.