main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So I finally beat Dark Forces...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Waning Drill, Apr 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Here is an article about getting DF to work on newer systems.

2. Morrowind

Morrowind Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
  3. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Those pros and cons were based on the first time I've played the game. Of course, it would be too hard the first time.

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Mt. Kurek was pretty good, but my all-time fave was the TIE Defender Base. That level was so cool :D There were multiple paths that you could take through the level (to a certain degree - some fights were unavoidable), something that I wish more level designers used.

5. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    TIE Defender Base was another great one. I think my favorites after Kurek would be Condition Red and Stars' End.

6. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Dark Forces is one of my favorite games to date.

7. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Bah, I got the DOS version of Dark Forces or somethin. Never figured out why, but it never really worked on either of my computers. Never made it past level 3 cause it wouldn't let me save, and there was never any sound.

Always wanted to finish it, but I can't find it anywhere anymore. Only on the Lucasarts website, and we don't order things over the net. Besides, I'm too lazy to mess with credit card numbers and all that crap.

Sithy, you're lucky if DF is at your CompUSA. I've looked at mine millions of times hoping to find DF, and no such luck :(

8. WSAENOTSOCK

WSAENOTSOCK Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2001
    LOL, that site explained the exact thing I did to get DF to run, and I got all that info from the readme!
    It's rather cute having the DF files in the C drive, my C drive icon was the DF logo for a while

Anyhew, Connemara, just read the readme.txt which comes with DF and it should answer all those issues.

Dark Force will NOT let you save in between missions (Just read the Readme!!), that's why you have lives. If you die and don't want to restart a mission, just press escape and you'll respawn at some checkpoint, minus one life.

Run setup first before playing dark.
    In DOS, go to your Dark directory and then type setup. It should check your sound etc. there. If not, try that link above in case you need to get a soundblaster emulator.

EDIT: If you want DF, just buy the collector's edition of JO, it includes DF.

9. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    My PC was in the shop this week, so I dusted off my ancient Mac yesterday and popped in Dark Forces. (A note here: my Mac has a processor 24 times slower than my PC, my PC has more RAM than my Mac has hard drive space, and my PC has a video card with 64 times as much memory onboard :p)

I played for about two hours, making it up to the beginning of the Ice Planet (can?t remember the name off-hand) before I called it a night. Dang, that game is fun. It?s so funny looking at the graphics and comparing them to the graphics for Jedi Outcast. We?ve come a long way, baby. But the level design is great. Fewer jumping and switch puzzles, and those that are there tend to make sense.

I beat the Detention Level in less than ten minutes. Once you realize that you never actually have to enter an elevator, you?re fine. Get to the top of the prison complex proper and send the elevator car down a level. Circle behind the locked door and use a grenade or IM Mine to blow the crack in the wall. Go through the passage and through the door in the bottom of the room. Drop onto the elevator and go through the next tunnel. Make the jump across the elevator shaft to the next door and go through the tunnel. Cross the moving machinery area. Watch out for the mine in the next corridor. Kill the Commandos. Open the big door and shoot the two officers. Use the code that you take off the officers to open Madine?s cell. His cell is the one closer to you; the other cell has interrogation droids.

10. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    //srtong expletive

I just bought JO. NOT the collector's edition. Just my luck.

But wait a minute...2 years ago I gave my game to a friend, and he said he never got it to work, but I THINK he still has it. I'll call him first thing tomorrow and see if I can get it back.

I was told by ANOTHER friend that you *could* save the game, and mine was messed up since it wouldn't save in game. As for the sound thing, once I get my game back, I'll see to that.

I'm happier now :)

11. AllAboutOzzy

AllAboutOzzy Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2002
    I can't find JO anywhere!!! Must be THOSE BUBBLES!!!

12. Coligeon

Coligeon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    Welcome to the forums AllAboutOzzy. Try ordering it online. Lucasarts.com, ebworld.com to name a couple.

13. WSAENOTSOCK

WSAENOTSOCK Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2001
    DF won't let you save games in game. It was answered by the developers themselves in one of the comprehensive DF FAQs.
    Your friend was either mistaken (but you can continue where you left off if you died, as long as you have lives left) or he had a bugged copy.

14. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    My friend was mistaken, trust me. He's like that. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.