main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So I guess we have a multiverse of sorts?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Aug 15, 2017.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I was just thinking, if there was a multiverse, I bet Palpatine would want to conquer the other galaxy, only to find there is another version of himself ruling it. :emperor:

Legends Palpatine: You think you're something? You don't even have a cloning plan after your death, while I do!! Your plans are this ridiculous Operation Cinder, not actual resurrection like I have. And how lazy can you possibly to be to live in the Jedi Temple as an Imperial Palace?? That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard! I didn't go through all this trouble to take over the galaxy to live in some boring old building geared for asceticism instead of luxury! I build my own, with all the latest swimming pools, rec rooms, highest holonet speeds...

Disney Palpatine: Oh I'm bad am I? Why in the world did you wait 6 months after the Death Star was destroyed to attack Yavin?

Legends Palpatine: Did attacking them immediately help you? And what's this I read about your cozy relationship with your galaxy's Talzin? I wouldn't even look at the Talzin of my universe! And come on, hanging out with this Dr. Cylo? I have my clone transfer technology, I don't need to waste time on the likes of him!

Disney Palpatine: I'm looking for the source of the Dark Side!

Legends Palpatine: Pathetic, look at the Force Storms I can create! Can you do this? Are you sure it isn't me you're looking for?

Disney Palpatine: You can't even control those Force storms. And I've got cooler friends than you'll ever have. Snoke will become more powerful than either of us!

Legends Palpatine: Oh, you have Snoke in your universe too? I killed our Snoke years ago.

Disney Palpatine: Yeah, well I killed our Yuuzhan Vong, I heard you haven't even met them yet!

etc.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Sherlock Holmes was really the first modern 'universe', but there are others if you look for them. The 'Cthulhu Mythos' hasn't been as mainstream, but has been around since the 1920s - Conan has had a similar lifetime.

Keep in mind too that there was a lull period where people (except for diehards) didn't give a damn about Star Wars. I know Disney is trying to avoid that at all costs, so it'll be interesting to see what their plans are post-NT.

As far as the subsets... well, Fantasy Flight Games just announced they are republishing the foundation of the Expanded Universe - the original Star Wars RPG. [face_laugh]

JediBatman likes this.
  3. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Count Dracula counts.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Frankenstein (and his Monster) are another example of something that's being reimagined with almost every generation since it's originator.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    And, like, classical myths, the Matter of Britain, Grimm's Fairy Tales...

JediBatman likes this.
  6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    True, it's all a modern mythology we're looking at here.

I can't recommend enough Leslie Klinger's annotated works, which have included Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, and Lovecraft's stories... and, not surprisingly, Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. His annotated Frankenstein is supposed to drop next year.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke as Space Arthur, Obi-Wan as Space Merlin, Vader as Space Uther, and Kylo as Space Mordred, might be stretching things a little - but there could be said to be similarities.

I just hope it doesn't turn out that Luke got Leia pregnant a few days before ROTJ - then the commonalities would be downright blatant.

8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    This makes me realize that right now, Legends!Palpatine would utterly crush Canon!Palpatine in a single blow.

Havoc123, Vialco and sidv88 like this.
  9. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Legends Palpatine would view Canon Palpatine and by extension the canon universe as a bizarre aberration and view it with utter disdain period.

Legends Luke would probably ask his Canon counterpart just how badly he messed up.

Legends Leia would be grievously upset to see her canon counterpart remaining a politician and commander.

Legends Han would probably be ambivalent to his canon counterpart as when he got a family and "respectable" life he did feel a little domesticated he would sorry for him(that he didn't keep his marriage together and have three successful children) yet somewhat jealous(Canon Han had more adventures more freedom and so on) at the same time.

Legends Vader well we don't know enough about canon Vader's feats and mental state to get an idea.

Etc...

Would make a great crossover no action or story just Legends and canon characters meeting and sizing each other up.

LelalMekha likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Considering Legends Leia didn't give up involvement in politics till after the Vong War, and rose higher (becoming President), I'm not sure that she'd be bothered with Canon Leia's political involvement.

Even Canon Leia's lack of development of her Force-using talents, might not bother Legends Leia, since in at least one comic (The Other) canon Leia chose not to develop her powers for a while:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Other_(comic)

11. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014

To compare notes? Little late for that, ain't it?

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I think Disney Vader, if he found out that Legends Palpatine did actually have a way to come back from being dead via cloning, would ditch Disney Palpatine for the Legends one. He would think that Legends Palpatine actually follows through on his ROTS promises.

Point_Of_View likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    More like to scream "what the heck is wrong with you?" And berate him for being a failure. Legends Luke for every tragedy grew stronger and more determined still. Every heart ache, every fallen pupil he grew stronger from it. Canon Luke ran off and abandoned his responsibilities. Legends Luke would not respect that.

14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I don't recall Legends Luke to be the screaming yelling type at all! He would probably give his canon counterpart a stern talking to, but he won't yell. Legends Luke was much more calm and controlled, you see this in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy games.

And Legends Luke did the whole hermit thing back during the Black Fleet Crisis. He knows what his canon counterpart's mindset can be.

Legends Luke might say something like "Redemption is for those who deserve it" if canon Luke still thinks Kylo can be redeemed though.

15. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    The only multiverses for me are in my nerdy head:

SW films + EU

SW films + New canon

SWTOR + EU material taking place before it

16. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Why? The Legends and Canon versions of Palpatine don't differ much, except in a few obvious ways (no cloning, no Force storms, canon Palpatine has a first name, etc). What would Legends Palpatine see in the canon versions of either himself or the universe that would cause "disdain" for them?

17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Palpatine would view his canon counterpart with disdain precisely because he can't use force storms and can't clone himself. Given's Palpatine megalomaniacal nature he'd transfer that disdain to the whole universe.

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I wonder how Emperor Katarn's universe would have turned out?

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Katarn is a warrior not an administrator-he'd be a frightfully terrible person to face in a duel and a full throated dark Kyle would give Krayt or Bane a little shiver but I think he'd be a bad emperor. He'd let his underlings do all the work while he sought to find enemies to destroy.

20. Well i like the Dark Side ending of Jedi Academy more

Or the Dark Side ending of KOTOR I

spicer likes this.
  21. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Dark Forces II Jedi Knight's DS ending is the greatest.
    He has no time for petty rebellions! And Sariss lives! She'll make a great Empress/wife for Emperor Katarn.

And same with DS KOTOR, ah Revan and Bastila Sith Partnership will last a thousand generations!

22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    We should imagine every major character(force user) becoming a dark side emperor? Emperor Jaina? Emperor Leia? I'd be terrified of Emperor Cade.

23. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Emperor Jaina is canon.
    [face_plain]

Hey um, there is absolutely no reason why Snoke cannot be female, is there? I mean, I know the Actor is Andy Sirkiss? Did I spell his name right? Anyway, even if the actor is male, Snoke does not have a mustache or beard... Just saying.

24. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    That's not canon Palpatine's fault though - it's a difference in the present "power levels" of the universes, not a failing of the man. Whether or not Legends Palpatine would recognize the distinction, who knows.

25. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Why would you assume he has to be male or female? That's a bit offensive you know, there's like 37 genders now.

Point_Of_View likes this.