main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So I guess we have a multiverse of sorts?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Sex, Gender, and orientation.

They are different.

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I mean Dark Jaina but you know what I meant.

Snoke is obviously male but a female antagonist would be interesting and isn't something Star Wars does often.

3. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Star Wars hasn't often done a female anything. Until Disney that is.

Leia & Padme are the only female major characters in 6 films.

4. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Iirc, Snoke was female in some of the concept art.

5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The EU had plenty of strong female characters-Mara, Leia, Jaina, Barriss, Bastila, Lumiya etc... To its credit.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  6. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    No I meant Jaina literally is Emperor. (I wrote Emperor in the sense that even when she's female, she's like the RL Japanese Emperors, I think they always referred to themselves as Emperors than Empress (Though I may be wrong, of course).

Regarding strong female characters in SW, don't forget Nomi and Vima Sunrider.

7. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    For every point they gained in gender diversity, they lost by having the grand total of like five POCs.

8. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    That's somewhat accurate to U.S. demographics though right?

9. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    To have Luke's first class be 10 white people and two aliens (iirc) is not at all accurate to U.S. demographics. Let alone the two PoCs in the entire OT, basically.

10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I meant in a dark side sense-a dark Jaina sitting on a throne is an interesting LOTF AU. But I know what you mean.

11. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm responding to comradepitrovsky's comments.

Well think of it as all about the money and you'll understand.

Back in the day the African Americans (and yes, they are called African Americans back in the day, so I'll refer to them as African Americans for this post) are probably busy fighting for economic and political equality and face it, when you are busy working and everything else RL staring at you 24/7, in the 80' and the 90's, the ones going to the movies and buying the books are probably overwhelmingly Caucasians, relatively speaking.

12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Back in the day of 2000?

13. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    . . . so, the reason it's okay that there are few PoCs in the EU is that your made up statistics say only white people watch Star Wars?

Daneira and Outsourced like this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Would anyone like Infinity novels? What if Vader had overthrown the emperor? What if Mara killed Luke? What if the Daragon twins never reached Sith space?

I would.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin Solo lives past SBS.

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I am sure that would be a popular one with quite a few EU fans.

17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I want a continuation of the RotJ Infinity story. How would the Empire react to Vader defecting? I could see the Rebellion being legitimized in the eyes of many Imperials. One of the more interesting things I see happening are the Inquisitors hopping ship. What would the Rebel Jedi think?

18. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Lando and who's the other?

19. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I shudder at the idea of the Inquisitors trying to fit in with the Rebels.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    An Rebel pilot in ROTJ, who gets blown up early in the battle - Legends introduced his name: Grizz Frix - and the newcanon kept it:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/rebel-pilots-biography-gallery

21. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Yep. All two of them, in the entire galaxy, apparently.

22. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I kind of liked the idea of the Empire being sexist white supremacists that was in the old EU. Really emphasized their villainy-ness.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  23. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I always hated the idea, for two main reasons.

A) It limits their recruitment. The Empire already limits their armed forces to being only human. If they further limit that to humans of one race and one gender, it makes you wonder how they got all those soldiers in the first place.

B) It seems too on the nose and too mustache twirling, like it's them being evil just to give the audience another reason to hate the militaristic Nazi inspired dictatorship that blows up planets.

This conversation came up in another thread and I gave the examples of Harry Potter and Animorphs. In Harry Potter the Death Eaters hate Muggles and witches/wizards with Muggle blood. It's a pretty clear parallel to real world bigotry. But if on top of that the Death Eaters thought only white, male wizards should be able to practice magic, the symbolism would be more ham fisted. In Animorphs the Andalites started off as the "good guy" aliens our heroes looked up too. Over time it was revealed the Andalites had some severe flaws: arrogance, looking down on other species, sexism. This was good development, disillusioning our heroes. Then another book revealed that the Andalites hate the disabled . . . which dosn't make sense anyways when they have technology that heals most wounds. It's good to have heroes/villains with flaws, but when you pile on the flaws it just seems cartoonish.

Mixing Real World Prejudices with Allegorical Prejudices becomes messy. I'd prefer the Empire to not care what kind of human you are as long as you're not a space alien. Or to quote Discworld "Black and White lived in harmony and ganged up on Green".

24. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Well maybe majority of GFFA human males loves the Imperial policies?
    and most of the human females in GFFA loves staying at home?
    Because Star Wars?

in Legends

25. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    You made a lot of good practical points, but one thing that has surprised me is that people with a lot of hate in them will do everything possible to show that hate, even if it is completely detrimental to their own goals. So even though the Empire, from a practical point, has so much to lose from banning "inferior" species etc., the prejudiced Imperial military higher-ups will do it anyway because they hate these "inferior" species so much, even though they know full well this undermines and weakens their military.

I think this came up in another thread where I discussed how Tarkin has no logical reason to blow up Alderaan when there are whole armies of people there he can interrogate (Bail Organa and his people, etc.) to find the Rebel base, Rebel secrets etc. And I felt there was no logical reason from the Empire's standpoint to do this. Another poster pointed out to me that Tarkin was likely so overcome with hatred against Alderaanians, Rebels, etc that he blew them up even though he knew full well doing so would impede his hunt for the Rebel base. He just has to kill them, he hates them so much.