main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So I guess we have a multiverse of sorts?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Aug 15, 2017.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I am, if I may say so, very much a representative of 'the gaming community'. And you are doing it right. ;)

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So why can't we have our what if novels and legends continuations? I would pay triple the price.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I don't know if you've read the Rogue One novelization, but there was a mention of a planet that was involved with the Death Star in the Death Star novel. I forget the name of the planet, but when I saw the mention, I immediately thought about Legends being bought into canon a little bit. :)

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    That would be Horuz, which in Legends is more commonly known as Despayre. I would love to figure out a way to reconcile the Death Star novel with Rogue One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Well the Death Star novel itself was already trying to reconcile the early Legends lore about the Death Star's construction with how it was shown in the prequels.

6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Death Star in Legends is unfortunately one of Legends failures in how convoluted it was. Though it was successfully retconned and fit together for the most part.

Palpatine probably should have put those credits into extra SSDs and Galaxy guns.

But that's just my opinion.

7. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The Empire disagrees with you. The Empire isn't about practicality. If the Empire was, DS-1 would've had a whole fleet of destroyers protecting it. If the Empire was, there would've been fifty thousand TIEs at Yavin.

PCCViking likes this.
  8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Funny you mention that. The main plot for the Darth Vader comic was that Vader had to take orders from Grand General Tagge, who thought that the money from the Death Star should have gone to more Star Destroyers and SSDs.

SpecForce Trooper and Daneira like this.
  9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Legends shows you can make super weapons that aren't insanely expensive with not-too-hard to find vulnerabilities. Galaxy guns, Centerpoint stations, and sun crushers among biological weapons etc...

Han was right about the empire wasting time and resources on grandiose vanity projects like the Death Star. Imagine a fleet of ten thousand sun crushers? 1 million Galaxy guns, 500,000 world devastators, and ten times many SSDs. That would be a far more fearsome empire.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  10. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    That would make a terrible story though.

I mean, the galaxy gun, singular, was a major threat that was defeated basically through blind luck and terrible imperial engineering.

The Sun Crusher is an objectively stupid overpowered behemoth that had to be destroyed by the pilot literally flying into a blackhole.

The World Devestators were, admittedly, pretty cool, but also could literally generate their own defense fleets as they scorched planets.

Fighting an empire on that scale would just make an awful story.

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Didn't the eclipse crash into the Death Star as a result of Artoo manipulating it?

It would be implausible of course to have a story against such an overpowered empire but say maybe a fanfic AU where a Dark Luke has just recently slain Palpatine or Vader and is about to wage full scar war against the Chiss or maybe entire unknown regions or something.

Having him or somebody point out an empire with such a complement would be a good way to end a story like that-giving the reader the impression of a near invincible empire.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Eclipse II crashed into the Galaxy Gun when it was about to fire and that blast ultimately destroyed Byss or something.

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah it's destruction was some sort of fiasco.

But I think an empire with say 50,000 sub crushers, 1,000,000,000 Galaxy guns, ands 200,000 SSDs is a far more mighty empire.

14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Why would anyone ever need that many of anything. The upkeep and construction costs would turn the entire galaxy to stardust just to get the minerals necessary. It is physically impossible in the Star Wars universe.

15. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Gargantuan amounts of Dreadnoughts and Superlasers are just as impractical and wasteful as the Death Star. If I was Emperor I'd commission SSDs as spearheads of each Armada, and have smaller Dreadnoughts and Battlecruisers for the smaller formations. A few Galaxy Guns would be plenty enough to keep the peace. The Navy is what requires investment, if conquest is the agenda. 1 million Galaxy Guns is insane. Only a few are required. While 200,000 Dreadnoughts sounds exciting, a more flexible Navy is required. Mid size SDs are surely what the Empire needs. Stuff between an Imperial and an Executor. I say keep it balanced.

PCCViking likes this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I guess your right the upkeep would extremely expensive. And there wouldn't be any enemy forces necessary for such use.

What if say your writing a Star Wars/Warhammer 40K fanfic under the parameters I described then under such conditions would it be necessary?

17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    No.

Because there is never a need to Exterminatus every single planet.

18. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Dang I would hope not. Maybe if the Rakghouls really got out of hand, Superlasers would be required in the dozens. The galaxy would surely not come out pretty.

19. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    If I were the Emperor here's my plans.

Invest in a two spaarti calendars. Use for cloning myself. Put in different planets for backup purposes. The clones will be my heirs. This policy is broacast by holonet and by flimsi. Every one of my loyal subjects must know this policy.

Kill Vader. No need for apprentice.

Get rid of Stormtrooper armor except for the helmets.

No palace on Coruscant. The Executor is my mobile palace. Except it is three times larger.

Shields on TIEs, do not need so many TIEs, but shields on them.

Invest in Eyes of Myself (IU Eyes of Palpatine). I will need four of them. They will surround the mobile place at all times. All times. NO exceptions.

One single hand. Force sensitive, but untrained. ONE.

Execute Tarkin doctrine to the letter. NO slaves.

20. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Why strip Stormtroopers of their armor? Do you like casualties? If I were Emperor I'd invest in Legacy armor immediately.

21. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    They can't stop blaster fire anyway. Brings cost down and make stormtrooper move faster.

22. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Then why give Tie's shields? Removing armor from one so they move faster, but adding armor to another because they're not defended well enough.

23. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Shrapnel. Bullets. Glancing bolts. Electrocution. Melee weapons.

24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'd invest in more SSDs, conquer Hutt space for good and ensure stormtroopers were trained at the level of the 501st in quality. I'd also conduct campaigns aiming to conquer the Chiss, Hapans, Corporate Sector, any minor powers, and the unknown regions.

Study and learn and study till I achieve full immortality even if it takes me a thousand years.

If I were Palpatine after achieving all of this I would replicate what I did for Byss on a galactic scale-from there I would command great war fleets and send them out to other galaxies conquering for eternity.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    In the EU, IIRC the ultimate plan was to have an SSD for every sector, and a Death Star for each Oversector.