main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So I guess we have a multiverse of sorts?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Is TOR it's own thing now, or still part of Legends?

Sent from Moto X-Wing

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Legends, I think. So I guess some Disney EU stuff is making its way into Legends?

3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    That's Berk's Trap Door. Don't open Berk's trap door, if you do - a monster comes out and it causes chaos while Berk and Boney the skull try to get it back down.

SWTOR expansions aren't Legends. It's EAverse. It doesn't even seem like Star Wars to me. It's like an expensive but bad knockoff. Lucasfilm needs come come out and say the mmorpg universe is separate from everything else. An mmo should never be clogging up a film or book universe with masses of mmo game mechanic storylines.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    They are Legends. The fact you don't want them to be legends doesn't change that. Although, under the old canon system, they would be relegated under Game Canon, so they'd take lower priority.

RafSwi7 and JediBatman like this.
  5. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    It's exactly like WoW. Every Warcraft book have to consider WoW.
    Of course warcraft doesn't have Disney vs BBL, but the MMO is still canon in WoW universe.

6. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    So where is the Legends label? They will never be linked to anything else that is Legends, there will never be a book released documenting them as being in the Legends universe. Face it, Legends is finished.

7. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    It is finished. But SWTOR was released PRIOR to the Legends continuity being announced. So, it, and all the expansions for it, are canon under the Legends banner. Not to mention the Books and Comics released alongside the game which definitively have the Legends label.

RafSwi7 and JediBatman like this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The sort of continued existence of Legends with elements of NuCanon pouring in makes me happy because I can imagine a situation where ALL the EU Death Star plans heists AND the Battle of Scarif happen in the same universe. And maybe even Snoke is coexisting with Abeloth, Waru, and a couple dozen angry Sith spirits. It's glorious.

9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    My ideal universe.

10. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Those written and release prior to the Legends separation are Legends I agree. But nothing new released after that should be. The expansions are an uncontrolled addition to the universe, like a cancer. EA could keep going and completely change the Legends universe history. That is why it needs to be in its own universe.
    Warcraft Universe is different because the mmo is the primary story media. It basically is an mmo universe with some books. Star Wars is primarily a film universe with books and games. You can't have 50% of the film universe's history stuck in an mmo video game that will never be written about in other media.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Legends is not one concrete, consistent universe, it's exactly what the name implies. Any given Legends source can line up with canon, old Marvel, Bantam, Del Rey, TCW, SWTOR, or any combination thereof--the only unifying detail is that the details aren't set in stone. Trying to cram everything in the "EU" umbrella into one chronology is a waste of energy.

Iron_lord, RafSwi7 and JediBatman like this.
  12. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I agree on that. I personally take out all SWToR media and put it in it's own universe. Everything after NJO also goes in a separate universe. And TCW comes out of my Legends, to remain just in canon.

CooperTFN likes this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Sinrebirth

14. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The two timelines aren't compatible in my humble opinion. The canon civil war lasted 5 years or so, the Legends one lasted 21 years, the Yuuzhan Vong didn't invade in Canon, and Han and Leia had different children and different numbers of children in each continuity.

I suppose there are certain things that could be worked in or retconned with enough thought and imagination. Though there are limits on what you can do with that.

If nothing else why not release a novel or a few novels by Luceno or Stover(the two popular EU authors) to wrap up the EU decisively?

15. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    Yeah, we deserve a conclusion.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah maybe a trilogy or something like that-would wrap up all major plotlines left and maybe give a swansong for the Legends timeline-say an epilogue of a galaxy at peace 1000 years after Yavin or something. With the Skywalker dynasty etched into history.

Some sort of grand finale I think is necessary to truly bring Legends to conclusion.

17. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    afaik it's been confirmed that the Flash standalone movie, titled "Flashpoint", will be handling exactly that, ie, alternate universes

Why else would they call it "Flashpoint"

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    EU-Abeloth makes it to the planet that the Father, Son and Daughter are on 100,000 BBY.
    NEU- Abeloth doesn't make it to said planet for whatever reason.

Or

EU universe- Darth Caedus' and Tahiri's travels back to SBS create a second timeline for whatever reason.
    A Destiny Altered Universe by An Origami Fish-Anakin Solo lives, AU rest of NJO series, DNT, LOTF, FOTJ, Legacy comic era. During the AU Legacy comic era, Snoke is in charge of the remaining Darksiders, uses a Force ritual to go back in time to create the NEU and brings back Abeloth one final time in the second universe.
    NEU-Snoke ends up back when Abeloth was about to reach the planet the Father, Son and Daughter were on and kills Abeloth, Snoke gets imprisoned by the Father, Son and Daughter until their deaths in TCW. Snoke is eventually able to break free of the prison and waits until ROTJ to send a signal to Palpatine.

The Lego games are games IU. The Tag and Bink comics are comics IU etc.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'd always want to see Luke holding Ben's hand as he dies peacefully. Say in 81 ABY or so.

Also Ben needs to be shown marrying.

Among a few other things that need to be wrapped up.

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    His post was saying that something like that would happen in Star Wars, I.E. a crossover between the Legends continuity and the current continuity. I don't have any opinions on a Flash crossover.

21. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Yeah that makes more sense than randomly talking about the Flash

22. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    Why not produce new legends material exclusively on e-book? This would cost very little and help avoid confusion. Also, only the more dedicated legends writers would be up for it, making the content more tailored to it's niche audience.

I'm a NEU reader but this would help me too. The need some writers feel to plug in parts of legends were they could have easily left a blank for new ideas is a pet peeve of mine. If legends was alive again I don't think James Luceno (for example) would try to preserve parts of it in canon.

23. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Or just put a giant Legends banner on top with a disclaimer at the beginning explaining the timeline and canon distinction.

24. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    One thing that gets brought up often and I just can't understand - what kind of confusion are people talking about? How and why would anyone get confused if there is one novel with a Legends label sitting on the shelf right next to a novel without the label? In fact, I've yet to go to a book store where that isn't the case. There are always a bunch of Legends books with Legends labels mixed with canon novels, a sight I'm certain most if not all of you have seen yourselves. And yet, no one has ever complained that they aren't sure which book to pick based on the presence or lack of a Legends label.

So why would a brand new Legends novel be just as, or more confusing than, for example, the ****ton of Marvel or DC comics that have nothing to do with the timelines from their movies? Is anyone complaining about those? No? And guess what, there's no label for those comics that help differentiate them as non-canon to the cinematic universes. How come those get a pass, but suddenly, Star Wars Legends is way too complicated for people?

25. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Money talks.

So readers could theoretically buy less and less New Canon books until they go: Damn it no one is interested in the new canon books. Let's try something else, I know, let's authorize more legend series and see how that goes. We're just desperate now....

See, I don't think Disney is willing to stop publishing books all together, so the above is my plan at the moment: don't buy any new canon books until Disney capitulate to my demands. I'm just one person, but, hey, less 30 dollars per book.