main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, I had lunch with Klaus Badelt yesterday

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by halibut, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I was lucky enough to spend the day at Abbey Road recording studios to see them recording the score for the upcoming film Shanghai starring John Cusack. Klaus wrote the score (despite contrary information on imdb!) and I got to see the strings and the brass recording their parts.

But between the 2 sessions we all went to the canteen and had lunch. He had scampi.

He's a bloomin' nice chap and very approachable. And the score is sounding really nice as well, so it's a soundtrack to look out for later this year!

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Did you get a chance to ask him why Zimmer and the rest of the Media Ventures crew seem so dead-set on destroying the art of film scoring?:p

3. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It WAS tempting to go up to him, shake his hand and say "Hello, Mr Zimmer" :p

But this score is really really nice. Plenty of string flowing melodies, with some ethnic flutes and supportive use of brass and wind. Looking forward to hearing all of it

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I think that Badelt did a much better job on PotC than Zimmer did. How'd you get to have lunch with him?

5. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    Badelt actually has written some fairly good scores. The Promise, if I remember correctly, happened to be particularly good. He does have a very good sense of melody and character, even if the orchestration and harmonic complexity are lacking at times.

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't know about other scores, but he didn't orchestrate this one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.