main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"...So I handed the script to my actor...with a forklift."

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by oingoboingo, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    "bgii helped"! I helped[i/]! I don't know about the living in the world thing. Its a comedy. As an actor, I think its pretty funny, but at the same time I'm dreading the memorization of some of the longer passages.

2. Jaina_Fel_Solo

Jaina_Fel_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2005
    Hi. I just had to reply to this, even though you've gotten SO many other replies, most of which are helpful. ;)
    I'm an actress, as well as a writer (both scripts and novels) and I just finished an outline for the second rewrite of my first non-fan-fic script, which is about 35 pages at the moment (before the second rewrite). If you're looking for people to read the script and give you some objective suggestions, I'd be glad to do it. :) If you'd like to see my 'credentials' first (can they be called credentials?), I can e-mail you the script I mentioned above and send you a link for part of my novel. PM me if you're interested. :D

And yes, as beafet said, use Courier 12. I know it looks horrible, but having read some scripts, it kinda looks weird (well, for me) when scripts are formatted differently. ;) Printing it on both sides can make it slightly harder to read, but also takes less paper (I had to double-side print my script for my first rewrite of it, as well as put the printer on draft to save my poor ink), but you get used to it. :)

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, just FYI, if you want your script to look professional, and for people to take it (and you) seriously, don't do anything this guy says. Do the polar opposite, in fact.

M. Scott

4. Cryptite_

Cryptite_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    Heh, owned.

5. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    If your script is huge, cut out all the stuff that doesn't need to be in the movie, refine the conversations to be natural and not ludicrous monologues, and include minimal directions within the script itself. Keep the director's notes for yourself.

Think of yourself as a conductor... while you get the full symphony manuscript, each musician gets only their notes to review. THis isn't quite the same, as usually you give an actor a full script as opposed to just their lines... but you get the idea.

-Spiff

6. Constant_shadow

Constant_shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005

That's what I get for opening my big mouth....:oops:

I was making reference to giving the script the appearance of being smaller to trick your actors into not being all freaked out.

If you want it to look pro, by all means do it the other way. No need to get all excited about it.

and Im not a he I'm a she.... not that that should matter....

7. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    and Im not a he I'm a she.... not that that should matter

That's what you think ;)

-Spiff

8. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    I usually use Courier 10 pt, actually... seems about right.

Edit: Wait, a she? Holy crow! When did we get one of those in here?!

9. oingoboingo

oingoboingo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2005
    Wow.

We've got people who we think are one gender and turn out to be another.

We've got rampant flaming and mean people.

...And it's better that way.

Thanks everybody for your replies, I've found them most interesting.

And, yes Jaina_Fel_Solo, I'd love to have you read my script. I'll send you a message soon.

Once again, thank you all.

Oingo

10. StoyBoy720

StoyBoy720 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    I am an actor here in Buffalo, and I've been handed a few scripts that have page numbers in the triple digits. It is most certainly possible to make something that long. My friend recently premiered a featured-length project known as "Loki's Wall" (coughShamelssPlugcough), though it took a lot of time and effort on the part of a lot of people to make that.

I'm currently working on another feature-length project with a group of filming students that I've worked with before on a short thriller, about a year ago. Now my last experience working with this group was less than stellar. In fact, it was downright bad at times. They were far from professional (and I know that on this level it's not much, but there's a way of carrying yourself when working with people who are not just your friends when making a movie), they clearly did not have much experience working with fake blood (which got everywhere, including my own clothing after being repeatedly assured that that wouldn't happen) and had a LOT of bad planning. And in the end I wasn't even a big fan of the final project. Though I did my best to just pass it off as a learning experience. At this level, everyone's learning, even the filmmakers and effects people, so I moved on and figured I would most likely never work with them again.

So when I was handed this new script from them, I read through it, going "this script is surprisingly pretty decent, but there's no way these guys are gonna pull this off." Though when they handed me this script they kinda convinced me to do this by offering me the lead role. So, kudos to them for playing on the ego to get what they want. As much as I thought the project was going to completely fall apart, they've surprised me by sticking it out, and now most of the film is shot. Still running behind their initial schedule, but this time they at least have a schedule.

That said, I've written and tried to direct a feature-length project at one point, and eventually lost interest in the project during production. And if your writer/director loses interest, you're done. :p So my advice, be passionate about your story and the project as a whole, because if you have a script that long you'll be with it for a LONG time...But, if you care about it enough, and think you can accomplish what you want, and carry and project that confidence to other people, it's most certainly possible.

11. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah, I just want to make a note in regards to it taking a while. End of the Order, weighing in at 44 pages, is well into its third year since conception. Production has been done in bits and pieces throughout 2005 and AT LEAST well into 2006. Sure, I could take a solid week and do a lot, but it'fret people to do that when they're coming from four hours away (or you're bringing the production four hours away...).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.