main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So I made this mistake... quick question for Twilight fans

Discussion in 'Community' started by Koohii, Mar 1, 2012.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    What are "real" Vampires?! I am only aware of the fictional/urban legend variety...which tend to vary in their characteristics depending on the depiction.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I've seen the Blade one. This one made me laugh uncontrollably. Clever girl.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Ugggh. Yeah because the best thing to teach insecure teenage girls is that they should seek validation in creepy guys who constantly tell them that they have an urge to kill them.

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I didn't say it was a good lesson, I was just reiterating the appeal as it was explained to me. I agree its a terrible message to be sending impressionable women.

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Not to mention that the true love of their lives will hate them, abuse them, and try to control them.
    And maybe, just maybe, if they work at it hard enough, the girl can change him.

pfffft. Yeah right. I don't know where that last myth started from, but shame on whoever promotes or supports it.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, the quote often attributed to Stephen King says it all:

"Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend"

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's one of the best quotes ever.

Fair enough, but I still don't understand the appeal. I was a teenage girl once, too. But Twilight would not have appealed to me at all then either. I would have been just as contemptuous about it. I mean, my favorite books when I was a teenage girl were Hitchhiker's Guide and Catch-22. Which are still my favorite books :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I watched a bit of the first one a while back. It was the part where chick is calling her mom, and apparently the mother gets attacked. She's like "MOM.....MOM......MOM.......MOM"

I was like haha....hahaha....hahahahahah.....hahahahahahahahahahah

Horrible acting and dialogue, but still laugh out loud funny.

10. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    lol

11. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Quite frankly neither do I. As I said that's how it was explained to me, even then I still didn't get it. And due to the interest of previous girlfriends boy have I tried to understand...

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Sorry, I had to look up to see which episode that was. I frickin' hated that episode. It was totally disjointed and made no sense whatsoever. "Oh, while you were away, I slipped into the house and killed your wife. Oh, she was there because she forgot her purse." WTF? I've seen women so drunk they can't walk, but never one who forgets her purse. They may shlur their shpeach, but they don't forget their purses. It's like... we have this ending, and we're going to put it onto the end of the episode. It doesn't fit, but we're going to put it on anyway.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the changes that ending made to the show, but it didn't fit or belong. Season 4 was arguably the worst season of Dexter.

Mind you, the ending on season 5 was wrong too, but didn't feel quite as tacked on.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    No drunk woman has ever lost her purse. Noted.

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Lost, sure. Forgotten? not common. Even drunk
    A non-drunk woman on her way to the airport? Driving? Pretty Frickin' unlikely.
    How many time have you forgotten your purse or wallet when driving somewhere? I'll be generous and up my count to 4. In the last 22 YEARS.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just downloaded the first book. I thought I should see what all the fuss is about, especially given the fact that a 5th grader recently asked me for the books, so the appeal is now crossing over to kids younger than the teens. (My library doesn't carry them; I told her to try the public library.)

I'm with Luna in that it's great that these books are getting kids to read, kids who otherwise might not. The Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Dork Diaries have the same effect on the younger set. As far as the innate messages, I already have the feeling that the misogyny is going to piss me off, but it's better that those of us who work with kids, are aware of the messages sent by popular books so that we can address them.

16. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Can we poll the women of the JCC? Cuz I have forgotten my purse while sober. I try not to have one when I go drinking cuz I don't trust myself not to forget it.

17. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    I have forgotten my wallet a grand total of 3 times in my entire life, and they were all because of the pants I was wearing (same pair each time) as they are cut weirdly and make you feel like you have stuff in your pockets when you don't. I keep my keys, buss pass, etc. in there so I can't really get far without it.

Then again, I don't really understand why people carry purses to start with so there you go.

In other news, my dance partner once pulled a prank on me where he told me we were going to see a "surprise" movie and took me inside the theater for one of the Twilight movies when his tickets were actually for the Karate Kid (which I'm aware was also an awful movie, but was astonishingly much more bearable). He timed it really well so we were coming into the theater right as it was starting.

I actually got up and walked out after about 60 seconds. Isabella was saying some mind-blowingly stupid monologue and I literally couldn't take it. I have never walked out of a theater before, and I didn't even pay for the tickets and was there with someone who did, so it was kind of a jerk move on my part. Then my dance partner came out laughing and we went and saw The Karate Kid which might as well have been Casablanca compared to that one.

For reference, I am a big fan of bad movies and have seen everything from Troll 2 to Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus but this was just bad on a different scale, and wholly unenjoyable for me.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've read the first few chapters now. So far I actually like Bella, in spite of all the complaints from other readers that she's "dull." Oh well, I'm "dull" too, maybe that's why I like her. :p

My only other commentary, other than I would actually enjoy cold rainy Washington State weather, is this:

1. Edward is supposed to be handsome. Or so it seems, with the comments about his "perfect" eyes and "perfect" hands and "perfect" body.

2. Why exactly is he supposed to be handsome? The descriptions haven't sold me.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Have you ever worn a dress?

Let me guess... when you're wearing something with no pockets, you stuff your belongings into a tube sock, right?

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Don't be silly. That's what jedi utility/belt pouches are for.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Have you met Ostrich? She can name a million uses for a tube sock - her most "creative" use is a maxi pad.

I'm not big on purses either. The only time I'll use one is if I'm wearing something with no pockets (which doesn't happen very often).

What does this have to do with Twilight, again?

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think you've misapprehended the meaning of the word "arguably". It general connotes something that is widely debated. It generally does not mean "contrary to the vast majority of people who think this is probably the best season of Dexter".

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    "In the opinion of almost every Dexter Fan I have ever spoken to, Season 4 was the worst season of Dexter. Others mention season 3 as being only slightly worse." How's that?

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    All the fans I've spoken to loved season 4. But more importantly, all the television professionals I know loved season 4. It's probably the best received season critically-speaking. Lithgow certainly received tons of praise.

I think maybe this is another instance of your opinion just tending to go totally against the majority. And maybe you know some random people who are as odd. Surely you're used to this by now :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

25. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Um, season 4 of Dexter was definitely the best. kthxbye.

Although season 2 is close behind.