main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So, I May Have Cancer....

Discussion in 'Community' started by G-FETT, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Good luck, you're almost there.

G-FETT likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Best wishes for everything going well tomorrow.

G-FETT likes this.
  3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    General anesthetic is marvelous. Had it last week to remove a cyst and I hadn't slept so well in weeks.

G-FETT likes this.
  4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    When I got put under for my surgery, between the anesthesia and then the morphine, they eventually had to just wake me up to leave the hospital because I was sleeping like a rock.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm not expecting the operation to last more than 30 mins, so it should only be a bit of a whiff of anesthetic really.

I expect it'll still make me sick though because it always does, but hopefully it won't take my body too long to process it and I should be home by this time tomorrow.

The weird thing about anesthetic is the way you lose time. They put the drug into you vein, 4 seconds later the ceiling starts swimming, you close your eyes and the next immediate thing is that your waking up.

Loss of consciousness is such an odd sensation.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Good luck. Best wishes.

G-FETT likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah going under is really odd -- because you're awake for longer than you think, but you don't remember any of it after waking up. Rather bizarre.

Best of luck!!

G-FETT likes this.
  8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I had a copy of a letter my doctor wrote to my dentist (all this started with a routine dental appointment in January) and it said the biopsy showed the lesion had "moderate dysplasia"

Dysplasia is really the cancerous potential of the cells, so it was starting to get pretty serious and I was definetely on my way to oral cancer.

You could say my dentist has saved my life - Moral of the story, get your mouth checked by a comptent dentist regularly.

Miana Kenobi and Juliet316 like this.
  9. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Haha I can't say I hate the loss of consciousness, but it's always a rather fun sensation. My anesthesiologist is a family friend, so all I remember laying in the hospital at 7am was her being like "Okay, so I'm gonna inject some stuff into your IV right now. It should knock you out pretty good for a while, and when you wake up-"

"Rachel, it's 2pm. Wake up already."

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I've had three generals in my life. The first time is the classic, "when's it gonna start worki...". The second, you know what to expect. The third? "See you in a few hours guys"

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've had several, and on maybe two of them I vaguely remember having conversations with the doctors and nurses as I was being wheeled into the operating room. On one I actually remember the mask being put on my face. I have absolutely no recollection of what I said though.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    That was me when I had my tonscilectomy when I was six. My only clear recollection is them telling me to count backwards from ten and starting to and then waking up as they were wheeling me into the recovery room.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Last time I had a general anesthetic I was around 16 and it was for wisdom teeth removal (all 4).

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    That's what Michael Jackson thought.

Good luck, G-Fett!

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Hi all from Northampton General Hospital. Had the Op this morning and am now on the ward recovering. Feeling fine.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Good news!

G-FETT likes this.
  17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Glad it went well!

G-FETT likes this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Glad it all went OK. Have they said when you can go home?

G-FETT likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hope you're not throwing up or anything from the anesthetic.

G-FETT likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    That's great. Glad to hear everything is fine

G-FETT likes this.
  21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Excellent to hear. Hang in there through the post-op, and it sounds like all will be well.

G-FETT likes this.
  22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Last time I went under was when I had my wisdom tooth removed, back in '89 I think. It was utterly surreal to be awake one moment and then wake up an instant later, having lost an hour or so of my time.

More discomfiting is having local anesthesia. I had a cyst removed from my leg last year and the more sensible option was getting the spinal shot. I knew what to expect from what my wife had told me, but it was weird to be laying there - half asleep but conscious since you're being monitored - while a chunk of skin and muscle the size of a walnut was being cut off while another thin layer of skin was shaved of my thigh for a skin graft, not feeling a damn thing throughout since you're temporarily paraplegic throughout. [face_plain]

G-FETT likes this.
  23. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I must admit I've avoided this thread because of my aversion to all things uncomfortable and icky. It was so nice to take a gamble and click on it with good news in store. Best of luck to you good sir!

G-FETT likes this.
  24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Hi everyone. Am out of hospital and back home recovering.

And no, I wasn't sick once. Modern anesthetics are amazing.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That's good! Being sick is not fun.