main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So I want to leave my industry.

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Jan 28, 2014.

1. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I'm pretty sure you get more than that on the dole here.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I'm more inclined to believe he botched the USD:GBP conversion to be honest.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  4. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    A car mechanic sim? Gosh, I so can't wait until Accountant Hero II: Tax Season comes out for my Playstation. I want to spend all day tallying receipts, deductions, debits, and credits AND have it all done before April 15th! Pheer my l337 t4x evazion skillz!!11

Darth_Invidious and CT-867-5309 like this.
  5. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Tech jobs control everything now. I am a network admin but we live the good life on borrowed time....because things change so quickly.

6. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    I'm a network admin for a law firm. Legal IT is kinda fun, attorneys can be somewhat demanding but can also be creatures of habit, so after a while you can pick up on and almost anticipate the needs of the firm before they even know what it is that they need. Also, vendors LOVE to wine and dine us as potential customers. They know that there is money in legal so they go all out and treat us to some really nice stuff just to give us a sales pitch. Of course, you DO need to dress like the cast of Mad Men, but I'm not complaining.

burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  7. burrisjedimaster1

Jul 31, 2002
    I am at a Hospital with 811 machines and 1200 users. Do you work in Des Moines?

8. burrisjedimaster1

Jul 31, 2002
    Doctors and Nurses can be a pain in the a$$ in the IT field!!

9. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Yeah, I work in Des Moines. Our firm has about 90 users. We run a VDI environment, so to access a lot of our confidential/work related stuff users must log into a virtual machine via a thin client, so that does cut down on a lot of hardware and things that can potentially go wrong. We also have about 2 dozen laptops, but those are for our attorneys who do a fair amount of travel and allows them to telecommute while on the road. Of course, we also have to setup things for depositions, client seminars,, continuing ed (for licensing purposes), as well as tackle unforseen issues related to document production and trial setup.

I worked for a larger ISP here in Iowa (the one who's name starts with an M and very few people like) and I noticed that on the business side of things, the customers I expected to be warm and friendly (medical offices) were usually among the rudest people I had ever worked with while the ones who you expected to be d-bags (law offices) were among the nicest I ever had to work with. This was a factor in me accepting my current job as the attorneys I work with give the stereotypes a run for the money - they're always polite, never look down upon me, are always appreciative of my efforts, and some even give me gifts for Christmas. It could be the culture at my firm, I can't be sure as I haven't been on the inside of too many other firms, but I do hear that a lot of other folks who are in legal IT love it more than IT for any other sector.

The other nice thing is that I have my own office, door, walls, and a ceiling - a rarity for anybody who is in IT and doesn't have a title of CIO or something similar.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Rated M for Manly.