main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, if he felt it then...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Wrongway, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrongway

Wrongway Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Redirect me to a thread if it's necessary.

Anyways, we all know Vader felt Kenobi's presence on the Death Star in ANH. But, my question is why didnt he feel Kenobi's presence when he was hiding out on Padme's ship at the end of ROTS? Is this an example of inconsistancy. or does anyone have an educated guess to what the reason might be.

My guess would be he was so focused on Padme that he just....didnt...i guess. I dont know. Let me know what you think.

2. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    As you said I think it depends largely on Anakin's focus. Even Jedi cannot sense all things at all times with 100 percent accuracy.

3. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    He wasn't thinking about Kenobi on Mustafar until Kenobi popped up.
    I'd wager he thought of little else in the interim 18 years.

4. starkiller63

starkiller63 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2005
    Kenobi and Luke were safe from Vader and Palpatine on Tatooine because it was the home planet of Anakin. Yoda was safe on Degobah because of the presence of a Sith lord (or maybe a dark jedi I don't remember) who had been destroyed there. The only presence they could sense in these locations was the darkside.
    On the deathstar in ANH I suppose Kenobi was also focused in his desire to face Vader which would have triggered Vader's awareness.

As for ROTS, I agree with you that Vader was so focused on Padme that he didn't sense Kenobi. Also Vader had just committed himself to the darkside, and he was still caught up in his own passion and rage. In the events of ANH Vader was older and more collected, and in better control of his darkside abilities.

5. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    DINVADER_RETURNS posted on 10/6/05 1:34am
    As you said I think it depends largely on Anakin's focus. Even Jedi cannot sense all things at all times with 100 percent accuracy. [hr][/blockquote]

Right. It's all about focus. Once Anakin saw Padmé, he focused on her ... she was in his mind completely. Now fast forward twenty years to [i]ANH[/i]. Vader has nothing in his life, nothing that can cloud/persuade his judgement or sensitivity to The Force. That is when he senses Kenobi, when he allows himself to be open to The Force.

6. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

On Mustafar, Obi-Wan may have been concentrating on shielding his presence. On the Death Star, Obi-Wan may have been taunting Vader through the force. "Ha-Ha, I'm on your mighty ship, come get me." On Mustafar, Obi-Wan did not immediately want his presence known. On the Death Star, he was just a distraction, so he did want his presence known.

Carnage

7. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Well its its a little more than that.

"Oh he's not dead (pauses and looks toward the deathstar), not yet"

"You're destiny falls along a different path than mine..."

Ya know....

Ah what the hell, I just demand Kenobi is given the proper respect! [face_not_talking]

8. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Well we know from Palpatine that it is totally possible to shield your presence from other Force Users. The thing with Palpatine was that he was strong enough to conceal himself from everyone. Although I don't think Obi-Wan was that powerful, I do believe that he could've shielded himself from Anakin until he was ready to reveal himself.

If you watch RotS you will see Anakin and Padmé fighting, then Anakin looks up to see Obi-Wan. Perhaps Obi-Wan chose that moment to reveal himself and that's why Anakin looked up because now he felt something. It's possible I guess ...

9. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I don't suppose Jedi can feel the presence of other Force users all the time. He felt Kenobi's presence from the apartment knowing he'd been there. Well, there is a reason why Anakin didn't sense Obi-Wan nearby. I think he thought Obi-Wan had died already but obviously he didn't because Padme had talked to him. I wondered the same thing myself. The only logical explaination would be is Skywalker thought Kenobi was either dead already or he'd fled to some planet to dodge the clones. But perhaps his new found dark powers work different than his old powers.

Sidious didn't sense Yoda either, obviously.

10. Alanikan

Alanikan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    Maybe Anakin/Vader's senses and focus were matured by the time ANH rolls around. Besides, during ROTS, he was "but a learner".

11. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Maybe Anakin was just used to Obi-Wan's presence being there. Like background noise.

Did Kenobi even know Vader was on the Death Star? Thus no reason to hide his presence.

12. Obi-Ron42

Obi-Ron42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    My guess is that Vader felt his presence as a "tremor in the Force," which he later describes to Tarkin. Vader couldn't spot a hiding Obi-Wan on Mustafar, but on the Death Star he had learned from the experience. Now that I think about it, it's a shame that the "tremor" was never mentioned anywhere in the PT.

13. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    They repeat a few times in the saga that the Darkside clouds everything.

While Darth Vader is on Mustafar,he's just a wreck and a ticking time bomb [if not an already exploding time bomb] of pure rage,fear,depression and power. Pure limbs of the darkside. He's not really even focused on Obi Wan, he even says he'd rather not be thinking of him.

Maybe Obi Wan was concealing himself too,because one of Obi Wan's main strategies is the method of suprise and its intake on the enemy. In ROTS,He actually is there to destroy Darth Vader.

In ANH,He probably wasn't concealing his presence,and by then Darth Vader has learnt to control his darkness,so that it does not cloud everything. He's more experienced in the force also,seeing as he's had another 20 years to practice.So like I was saying, Ben probably didnt even attempt to conceal his presence,it was inevitable he and Vader cross paths once more,and he knew he could not destroy Vader. It was Luke's responsibility to kill Darth Vader [even if it was just by redeeming Anakin], so whats the point of hiding?This way he can draw out Vader and let the others have one last enemy on their tail [One who would def. kill them,too.]

14. BrideofVader

BrideofVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2005
    You know, I was thinking about this thread while watching ANH the other day. According to Darth Vader, he DID. "A tremor in the Force. THE LAST TIME I FELT IT WAS IN THE PRESENCE OF MY OLD MASTER."

Distracted, possibly. You know, there are sometimes noises and smells and all kinds of sensations, that, if we are distracted, we do not notice, even if they hint of possible danger. But the truth is, you do hear/feel/smell/sense those things, even if you are not fully concious of it, or fully aware. Vader wasn't being mindful of the tremor at that moment. Think of all the times an apprentice (Sith or Jedi) had to be reminded to be mindful. Back during that time, Anakin was around Obiwan quite a bit. The tremor that Obiwan gave off would easily have faded into the background. He had just turned to the Dark Side, he'd had a big first day (days?), and his wife just shows up while he's at work and wants to nag him. BUT, when Vader hadn't seen Obiwan or ANY Jedi in a very long time, Obiwan would stick out like a sore thumb (or severed limb, heh).

15. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I always just had the impression that, unless there was a very powerful event going on, you had to at least marginally concentrate to sense something.

Obi-Wan senses Alderaan's destruction because it caused tremors in the Force. Luke felt the Dark Side coming from that tree because it was a very assertive power, it was radiating its presence in a very overt way.
    But Obi-Wan's presence on the Falcon or on Padme's ship...Vader didn't sense Obi-Wan until the Falcon arrived and he started scrutinizing it. Much like he didn't sense Luke was strong in the Force until Vader was targeting Luke through his gunsights in the trench run.

The experienced Force users are always telling everyone to 'search your feelings, you will know it to be true'. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. That's my theory.

16. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    he was angry in mustafar,anger clouds judgement.

17. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    But it also fuels the Dark Side. I think that had nothing much at all to do with it.

18. Use2bVader

Use2bVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2006
    Even more important would be his utterance at the ship itself.
    Vader: Send a scanning crew aboard, I want every part of this ship checked. I sense something. A presence I have not felt since...
    He turns and walks away.

I think this is exactly WHY George had OBI stow away rather than follow Padme.

19. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Palpatine didn't sense Yoda. In fact his back was turned.

Dooku didn't sense Yoda either. Yoda just pops up.

Palpatine didn't sense Luke when Vader did. Palpatine thought it to be strange.

Dooku didn't sense Obi-Wan and Anakin on Geonosis. They just appear at the hangar.

Qui-Gon didn't sense Maul either on Tatooine. He just saw him coming.

So, it does vary probably on attention span or focus or what have you. I think Anakin thought Obi-Wan was dead already anyhow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.