main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So I'm having a laser eye surgery tomorrow

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I've been wearing glasses since I was 4, and am currently at -5,5 on my left eye and -6,25 on my right eye. I've had steady eyesight for 5 years, so I decided to finally have the surgery. :)

Yesterday I had a pre-op checkup, and everything seems to be in order. I'm scheduled for the surgery tomorrow at 10 AM. I'm quite looking forward to life without glasses/contacts, but at the same time I'm a little bit apprehensive - the first couple of days after the surgery can be a bit painful, apparently. Wish me luck. :p

Does anyone here have an experience with laser eye surgery?

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Laser eyes are awesome.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    No experience, but my eyes are a bit worse than yours and I have thought about it. Best of luck tomorrow!

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I had it done about 10 years ago. None of the experience I would consider painful - the procedure itself you don't feel anything (the eye is numb) and for the few days after it's just kinda more irritating/annoying than anything else. I had to wear goggle type things the first day/night, and they gave me sleeping pills for the first evening. From there it was about 6 months of daily eye drops, and sunglasses when outside.

On the downside, 10 years later my eye sight, whilst not as bad as it was before, is considerably worse than when I first had it done, and I need to wear glasses now when I drive/go to the cinema etc. I think though that's in part because my eyes weren't stable enough when I had it done (at 21), and possibly because the technology back then wasn't as sophisticated. I half consider having it done again from time to time, as the price has come down so much.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  6. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, I know the procedure itself is painless, and I guess the first couple of days afterwards can be different for each individual person - I've read reports by people who claim to have been in really big pain for 2-3 days, and also by people who say they hardly felt anything beyond minor irritation. I guess the reaction to the healing can really differ.

Personally I'm mentally preparing for a ****load of pain, so if it's anything less, it will be a pleasant surprise. :p

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Whatever you do, DO NOT WATCH Final Destination 5.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    In the words of the Doctor, "Don't blink".

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    That's actually what I was telling myself yesterday during one of the tests - the one where they give you special eye drops to dilute and fix your pupils, so that they can take a good look at your retinas. The light is friggin' blinding and it's hard to keep the eye open. :p

During the actual surgery it's easier, they insert these braces that keep you eyes open.

10. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Good luck, Mar.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Tell them to give you one of these:

[​IMG]

Sarge and Darth_Invidious like this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I have read that as you age your eyes can get worse even after the surgery if/when presbyopia sets in.

13. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I had it done last year. After 20 years of glasses/13 of contacts, it still feels absolutely amazing to not wear corrective lenses.

I won't lie; the procedure was probably the most terrifying thing I've done in my entire life. It won't hurt (well, the little thingies holding your eye open kinda hurt but not a lot), but just a general wave of panic will set in, especially if you're claustrophobic like me. They gave me a stuffed monkey to squeeze if I was nervous; I had that poor thing in a death grip.

My vision was just about as bad as yours (-5.25 and -6, both with astigmatism) so just as a head's up, using the computer will suck for the first few days. I was only able to look at the screen for 10-20 minutes at a time before getting a terrible headache. So just take it slow. Showering/washing your face for the first few weeks will get annoying having to make sure to not get any liquid in your eye. The day OF is really the only time it hurt, but they gave me a lot of valium to sleep through the worst of it. It just kinda burns and all you want to do is rub your eyes.

They should give you a pair of goggles to wear to bed; they're obnoxious and I inevitably would wake up with them not on my head anymore, so just be careful. The first 2 weeks is the most dangerous, so just be extra cautious.

Also, you will become painful aware of how many lights are on because every single light will now have a halo and star filter. Which means driving at night will suck. I developed nocturnal myopia from the surgery, so my doctor had to give me a pair of glasses with a lot of anti-glare and a baby amount of prescription so I could properly drive and see at night. So don't throw out/donate your old frames just yet.

Now I will tell you that my eyes did not heal 100% correctly. The day after surgery, I was 20/20. 6 months later, I was rocking a -1/-1.5. I ended up having to get a touch up surgery on one up, so now I'm rocking monovision with one eye near sighted and the other far sighted. It took a few weeks, but they fortunately have now equaled out so I can see near and far again. However I'm like the only person I know out of all the people I know who have gotten it who has had a problem.

Overall, it's still totally worth it. Good luck!

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Thanks for all the info, Rachel, it's very helpful. :)

Although, my Mum already called dibs on my frames. :p I have a spare pair, though, so I'll be able to use those if needed.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Good luck.

16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Hopefully you'll be able to see in the dark afterwards.

[​IMG]

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Just be careful - I hear at the ten year mark, your eyes fall out.

[​IMG]

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Good luck. I hope you have chosen a reputable place. In the U.S. it is unregulated and a higher % of side effects occur that I like.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Good luck Mar.

21. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    You know this already, but I wish you all the best. I hope it all goes smoothly. Go for it, moja drahá. [:D]

22. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    All the best/you know it will turn out alright, Mar.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Good luck, Maria! :)

I actually got my first ever pair of glasses a couple days ago...

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a friend who just had it done and she described a gritty feeling in her eyes for the first few days, but after that she was able to go back to work (she's a pediatric nurse).

Good luck. :)

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    It's done! :) Everything went well. The surgery was completely painless (they gave me anaesthetic eyedrops that numbed my eyes), but the first day afterwards was pretty painful - my eyes felt gritty and burning. Thankfully they gave me some painkillers and sleeping pills, so I was able to sleep through the worst of it. :) I feel much better today - my eyes don't hurt any more, but they're still sensitive to light (I keep wearing sunglasses around my flat) and they keep watering and my eyelids feel very heavy, so I keep them closed most of the time.

Nevertheless, it's a lot better than I expected it to be - and the most important thing, I CAN SEE! :D :D :D