main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So I'm thinking of buying a Gamecube...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by hawk, Nov 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    If it's anything like the first Paper Mario, then it's an RPG/Platformer that leans more toward the RPG side. The first was a pretty decent game, but nothing too special IMO.

If you're into survival horror games, such as Resident Evil and whatnot, I'd suggest picking up Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. It might be a little hard to find these days, but it's a lot of fun.

2. LordMajinn

LordMajinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2004
    I heard Eternal Darkness was very fun and pretty scary. How is it compared to Resident Evil?

3. Pizza_the_Hutt456123

Pizza_the_Hutt456123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2004
    I bought a Gamecube before I bought an xbox or ps2, when it first came out. pretty mch because ididnt have enough money at the time to buy a 300 dollar console. I was always careful about the games i bought for it, because i didnt want to buy any crappy games that i didnt play. i think i succeeded in that goal, here is the list of my games for GC: sonic battles2, mario kart doubledash, bomberman generations(sux) jedi knight 2: jedi outcast, rouge squadron 2: rouge leader, legends of zelda collection disc, zelda-the wind waker, thps 3, simpson's road rage, donkey konga, rouge squadron 3: rebel strike

all these games are decent games except for bomberman, the only reason i bought it was cuz i liked the super nintendo version.

4. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I bought Bomberman64 because I liked the SNES version. Big mistake!

I only played one Resident Evil game on PS2 and it sucked. Are the others good?

5. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Eternal Darkness was a good game but not worth buying. It's short and easy, makes a great rental. Graphically it's not very impressive but the game play beats RE Remake and RE Zero. Story wise it rips off Call Of Chuthulu which is always a good thing. Deals with dark elder gods coming awakening to rule the world and a main characters slow descent into madness.

EDIT: The Resident Evil games are alright I guess but suffer from dated gameplay. The controls are clunky and the games play more like movies. Decent rentals but nothing to freak out about. If you get a chance pick up a copy of Resident Evil 2 that was the best of the series. If you can sit through dated PSX graphics, hehe.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

6. LordMajinn

LordMajinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2004
    I haven't played any of the Resident Evil games for gamecube. Resident Evil 4 looks very promising and seems to stray away from the typical style of Resident Evil gameplay. Was the Resident Evil game you played called Outbreak?

7. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Can't remember but my friend and I played it for 5 minutes and were laughing at how bad it was.

8. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Dude the best is Xbox...I've changed my mind on this one and I think you should get an Xbox instead of a Gamecube.

9. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    What for? Most games on XBox come out on PS2 or PC. I never see any title (except Halo) that I would spend that much money on. I could get a really cheap Game Cube and play a few cheap, excellent titles that I know are great.

10. Pizza_the_Hutt456123

Pizza_the_Hutt456123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2004
    While all systems have their perks, i'll have to agree with DarthLazious on this, XBOX is the best!!

11. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    The Xbox has more then enough games to distinguish itself from the PS2. Shenmue II, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Mech Assualt, Ninja Gaiden, Crimson Skies, Otogi II, Kingdoms Under Fire, Chronicles Of Riddick, even Fable to name a few. While it is true that the Xbox and PS2 share alot of titles, the fact of the matter is that the xbox versions 99% of the time are far better then the PS2 versions. Where the PS2 excels are the Japanese titles. I own a Xbox and a Cube. I've held off on picking up a PS2 but plan on getting one soon. So I can play games like Disgaea, Suikoden III and Katamari Damacy. When it comes to multi platform games I always get the Xbox version and will continue to do the same when I grab a PS2.

That being said if your picking up a Cube for Zelda and Metroid Prime. Then there is little point in mentioning the Xbox since neither of those games will be on Xbox. So I don't know why these guys keep bringing up the Xbox. Just a word of warning try Metroid Prime first before you buy it. One of the reasons I bought my Cube was for Metroid Prime and I got bored of it pretty fast. There is zero challenge to the game, the controls are pretty annoying and the backtracking gets tedious. Great atmosphere though. Wind Waker is a great game and Mario Sunshine plays like a prettier Mario 64.

-----signature-----

12. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Thanks RBE. Will do.

13. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Well said, RBE. I don't see any reason for the Xbox to even be mentioned here, either.

Anyways, hawk. If you're into old-school type platformers, another game you may want to check out is Viewtiful Joe. It's a little on the short side, but it provides a pretty decent challenge and is just plain fun, IMO.

If I can think of any more cool games, I'll let you know.

14. JediGaven

JediGaven Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2004
    What for? Most games on XBox come out on PS2 or PC. I never see any title (except Halo) that I would spend that much money on. I could get a really cheap Game Cube and play a few cheap, excellent titles that I know are great.

Again with the Halo :p

What are you talking about, man!? What about KOTOR (and soon to be KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords)?

15. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    >>> What about KOTOR (and soon to be KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords)?<<<

Also on the PC, which he has.

-----signature-----

16. JediGaven

JediGaven Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2004
    Also on the PC, which he has.

Point made.

17. Emperor_Joe

Emperor_Joe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    Dude the best is Xbox...I've changed my mind on this one and I think you should get an Xbox instead of a Gamecube.

You can see the very second that DarthLazious went mad. Amazeing isn't it?

18. Emperor_Joe

Emperor_Joe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    While all systems have their perks, i'll have to agree with DarthLazious on this, XBOX is the best!!
    Pizza_The_Hutt456123 was an average poster. Pizza knew that the Gamecube was the best console out. But one tragic day Pizza met DarthLazious and suddenly everything went wrong.

19. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I hope you all remembered my warning about console wars.
    Discuss, Debate and Argue, kids. Don't squabble.

20. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    There are many reasons for owning the GameCube. As with all things, though, it is a matter of preference. My "must have" games for GC:

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    Metroid Prime
    Mario Kart: Double Dash
    SW Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
    Viewtiful Joe

As you can see, it is a small list. I'm sure that Metroid Prime 2 and the upcoming Zelda game will be worth it, but it is hard to comment w/o having played either. I think RBE said it best earlier....The GC for me was a system to pick up after I had another console. I waited for the Xbox launch to get my first "next-gen" system, and followed that up about 6-8 months later and finally got a PS2. Then, in May of this year, I got my GC.

21. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    >>I heard Eternal Darkness was very fun and pretty scary. How is it compared to Resident Evil? <<

RBE's breakdown was pretty accurate, IMO- though I consider it a must buy for anyone with a GCN. It's a story-driven game (you'll often find yourself wanting to finish a level just to see what happens next), but even if Resident Evil has better graphics, the gameplay control on ED is much much better, and the graphics are still pretty good on ED and get the job done. The spell-casting system was also interesting as well.

Plus, the game seems more challenging depending on which of the three paths in the game you take (and you only get the final ending after you complete all three...been meaning to do that, come to think of it..). The "red" one (where enemies primarily attack your health meter) seems the easiest (as you can use magic spells to recover that), and I could imagine the "green" (which goes after your chara ter's sanity meter) being a little trickier (since it's harder to play the game when that goes low), but the "blue" path (which attacks your magic meter) must be pretty challenging (since you'd be harder pressed to recover your statistics without having as much magic as you would otehrwise).

22. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    So what are the rogue squadron games like? I got a bit bored with the one on N64 because every level was just frantic shooting. But the graphics look impressive on the GC.

Was Zelda: Windwaker like the other Zelda games control wise? In Majora's Mask, I thought it was a bit of a con to call it a "Zelda" game because you spent all your time searching for masks and transforming into other creatures. This is very different from the sword and sorcery of the Zelda games I know.

23. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Rogue Leader/Rebel Strike play exactly like Rogue Squadron on the N64. The AI sucks and the game play is kind of dull. If you got bored with the first the sequels will put you into a coma. The only thing they have going for them is the eye candy. As far as I'm concerned Rogue Leader was just a tech demo, it's great for wowing guests.

Wind Waker had that cinematic feel as you were playing through. Haven't played it since last year so can't remember much. But it seemed to follow the basic structure of a zelda game.

-----signature-----

24. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    The RS sequels are similar to the original overall, but the controlling is much better, IMO, and the added controls give some more options. If your looking for an arcade flight sim/shooter, they're a great series (I've certainly never tired of them), and earning those medals can provide some serious challenge. The ground levels in Rebel Strilke are usually easier, but occasionally have a slight SNES-"super" feel to them which is great, but some levels seem pointless while others are somewhat engaging.

You won't find better recreations of the battles from the trilogy, that's for sure. The shooter/arcade aspect to the series captures the fast pace fun feel of the trilogy, IMO.

Wind Waker controls very similar to Ocarina of ime & Majora's Mask in terms of play control. Tough it's closer in structure to OOT than MM. As RBE pointed out- it's very cinematic.

25. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    I bought my gamecube about 3 years ago, and though I have had some fun with it, I prefer my xbox now. There are some perks to the Cube, however, especially today: their holiday bundle is amazing. The system, a $50 game, and two controllers for $100?? You really can't beat that.

They are also developing a new Zelda game, I heard, which is supposed to be on the cube, too. (Don't quote me on that: a friend passed that bit of info to me.) If this is true, it's worth the price of the system alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.