main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So ****ing what!? (Week 6, Day 1)

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by RidingMyCarousel, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    S.*.W.
    Two Generation Xers are caught in a convenience store when terrorists take them hostage. The terrorists set up TV cameras and for 36 days their plight is televised, turning them into national celebrities.
    Cliff Spab enters a local convenience store in the suburbs to buy some beer and is taken hostage. But he gets a lot more than just a six-pack, because with a gun to his head and national television capturing Spab's nihilistic attitude, people not only begin listening to this disgruntled youth, but create a cult out of him.

Shot in Eastmancolor.

(Summary from Video Universe)
    Oh, how that was my phrase for a long time. I mean, so ****ing what? Does it really matter why I'm doing this task? Huh? Eh? (you'd need to see the film... :p ).

The movie was one I saw when hanging around all night long and watching Fox at 3am. It came on and I figured, "eh, what the hell.. I'm up, I may as well watch this...". I was quickly drawn into the film... Cliff Spab... heh, what a name, right? He's just your local teenager who sits around, smokes (legal substances and illegal ones) and enjoys his liquor. A kid from a nowhereville town. Doesn't give a rat's purple arse about anything.. or anyone. Mainly because he has nothing.

The film struck at me hard... How the media would take Cliff's attitude to people being killed when held hostage.. And his sarcastic attitude..

There was one part when the terrorists said they were going to let one of the people go free. So, one of them was picked and Cliff started off on his attitude... "Oh, yeah, we're going to miss you! You're just so loved.. so missed!" ...and he acted like he didn't give a darn about the woman and suddenly.. bam. The terrorists shot her. Cliff immediately went silent and was horrified... the last thing that woman heard was his attitude...

It's moments such as this that make the film a shocker. It really makes you think twice about your attitude and situation in life. After the ordeal, Cliff tries to meet up with one of the girls who was there.. One of whom he helped keep in comfort during the entire hostage situation. ...and because of his attitude and how television portrayed him, her parents refused to allow him around...

...this, and then the media merchandise and portrayal...

...his most common used phrase during the situation... "so ****ing what?!" was aired constantly on TV. Media hailed him for his boldness. While all along, he wanted to be alone... and to himself.

The movie is a masterpiece... it really shows the evil of the media and how it can destroy someone from the inside and out.

I mean, it just rocks...

I certainly made me think...

~ James

2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Never seen this one, although it sounds intense. I'll have to check that out.

Oh, and James...you need to **** the whole word. :)

3. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Good luck finding it... It's rather hard to find anywhere, unless you're grabbing it from a place like Amazon or something. The DVD was just released a week or so ago.. it's a good film. :)

It came out around 95, so you'd expect it to be on DVD already... :p

Oh and I'd edit it.. but I can't now. :p

~ James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.