main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books So... is the Darth Bane trilogy any good?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Dec 3, 2012.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I know this is a double post, but idc.

Is it silly? I mean, that was always my thinking, but maybe it's not about substance.

In the PT, the dark side is growing (a quote from the AOTC script) and clouding the Jedi's sight. It's out of balance.

So maybe it's about tipping the balance of the Force toward the dark side. Which is exactly what the rule of two ends up accomplishing.

If the dark side can grow, presumably it can wither, it can (and will) be diluted by a bunch of weak Sith who don't know how to use it to its utmost, whose philosophy isn't conducive to making the dark side grow more powerful.

No? Just asking questions, here.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Short answer: the imbalance is an allegory for the nominally symbiotic republic being corrupt to the core and fracturing into civil war. The imbalance is disharmony. This is toward the dark side since there's war going on and people dying, and evil people that are personally slanted toward the dark side having power over the masses.

If we consider the Force a substance, that is the cause of the dark side being "out of balance." More Sith won't "diminish" the dark side through "using it up" like its a finite resource like water. Inversely, it isn't favoring the Sith in the prequels because the Jedi are "using up" the light side (not that they "use" the light side).

Riv_Shiel, Gamiel and darklordoftech like this.
  3. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Found "Path Of Destruction" by chance in the library yesterday and since then I've hardly been able to put it down........well except to go on Arkham Knight:p

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You could have read the book in the time it takes to download the Arkham Knight 3.6GB update file!

5. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Trilogy is leagues better.

Though of course, to me, its also collected in the better format.

6. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Ah, thank you for the clarification - I think we do agree. I think JvS portrayed Bane's philosophy as believing that the dark side is a reservoir of energy and that the more open valves the lower the pressure. I agree with DM that the concept is silly for an infinite energy field that unifies the universe. PoD retconned this to have Bane believe that the Sith's weakness in numbers is that they are forced to choose between cooperation and infighting. This is a concept that is much less silly, and the best rationale in my opinion to have a Rule of Two. Of course, by the next book Bane is all about being killed by his apprentice so that the Sith as an order can get stronger. Suffice it to say that his change in philosophy really impacted my ability to enjoy the sequels as much as the first book.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'd disagree. JVS had him looking like a tank, and certainly brutally capable, but he was also a thinker, too. He was philosophical and intelligent, though he wasn't given many opportunities to plot. But one of his insights was that the infighting of the Sith, represented by Kaan's revolt against him, was self-destructive, and the realization that he could channel that competitiveness into a constructive format was key to the rule of two. Though it could have been written out more clearly, true.

As for the Force dilution, I disagree with it but I don't think what Bane was on about was purely the Force as a finite resource. It's not that there's only so mich Force to use, but more about the Will of the Force. Too many people all trying to bend the Force to their will, to master it, makes it harder for anybody to actually channel the Force in a big way, to harness it on a cosmic scale the way the Sith tried when they threw it out of balance. I have a problem with it as how the metaphysics of the Force actually work, but I think it makes sense in terms of how the Sith often think about the Force and the way they see their interactions with it on a cosmic scale.

Trip and Sinrebirth like this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do you mean with "better format"?

9. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Novels>Comics

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That's more or less my understanding of the situation.

The guy's not saying "the dark side is a fossil fuel and we're running out" but, rather, "Guys, your radio chatter is interfering with my own commands and preventing the dark side from responding as powerfully as it otherwise could. We need to be singing from the same hymn sheet or you need to get gone."

AplagueOnTheWise, Gamiel and Trip like this.
  11. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    kids these days

*sigh*

Gamiel likes this.
  12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Novels are for adults, like me.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    We will have to agree to disagree that novels by their very nature are superior to comics

14. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Unless we're talking about The Crystal Star. :p

15. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

That's fine, said at the jump that it was an opinion. Obviously not everyone is going to agree. Just happens to be the format that I prefer above all others.

Riv_Shiel and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    EDIT: Ops, wrong thread

17. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    Why are we having a novel vs comic war..both are great, even though I haven't read any Star Wars comics :\

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Go and fix this mistake right now!

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014

[face_laugh] I want to read the Jedi vs Sith and Tales of the Jedi. It's hard to find

20. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

This post killed Shmi

[​IMG]

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Jedi vs. Sith is on Marvel's app. I hope they add TOTJ soon. The portion of TOTJ that follows Ulic and Nomi before they meet is on Marvel Unlimited.

Darth Master Titus and Gamiel like this.
  22. Darth Master Titus

Dec 10, 2014
    Thanks! I'd like to read novels/comics on the ancient Sith. Especially Marka Ragnos and Naga Sadow

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    SMH the fact we never got a novel about Freedon Nadd and various other Sith kills me a little every time I think about it.

24. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I'm convinced.

Wait do people actually like Freedon Nadd? He was such a failure even his ghost got killed.

Trip likes this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I like his name

one of my many handles at the SWTOR boards was "FreedonsNadds"

Trip likes this.