main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO So is The Force Unleashed no longer canon?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Seltraeh, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Seltraeh

Seltraeh Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2014
    I liked it but I guess I could accept it getting overwritten by Rebels...Still, I'd like clarification.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Darth Ardyti

Darth Ardyti Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2014
  3. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Read here.
    Now begone or I will unleash the force upon you ...with a giant canon.

Seltraeh likes this.
  4. Seltraeh

Seltraeh Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2014
    Thanks. I'll still accept the things that were dropped as canon as simply a sort of alternate timeline, just like the Legend of Zelda series. Link to the Past, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker are all in different timelines but still part of the franchise :)

5. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Thankfully, it's not canon anymore.

6. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Everything bar the movies, the two cartoon TV shows and that novel which was written as a prequel to Rebels, is no more official canon. So, The Force Unleashed isn't canon anymore.

Personally, I don't agree with that, so I have defined my own canon. Everything up to Thrawn Trilogy / Jedi Knight series is canon for me. It is disgraceful to decanonize Thrawn trilogy, when it can be argued that without it Star Wars would have died. And then some amazing games like Kotor games etc makes no sense to decanonize them, especially when they don't interfere with the new trilogy. Or some very good written books like Darth Bane trilogy, Kenobi, Darth Plagueis etc.

It is also weird to hear LucasArts say that TOR isn't canon, but when you play TOR you have their logo there.

In my opinion it was a bad and cruel decision to decanonize all those things. They should have decanonized only things which directly interfere with the new trilogy (like the Yuuzhan Vong wars, or arth Caedus, Darth Krayt etc).

7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i am thrilled. I liked the first game, but it should have just been a game, i hated it as canon. Glad it is gone.

V-2, beedubaya and Life like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No. The Farce Unleashed has been purged because it was utterly stupid and awful. YAY!

9. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    I am glad it is no longer canon. I think video games pose problems to begin with as canon since they are open-ended. The KOTOR series works because its' events are so far removed on the timeline from the movies but the Force Unleashed, being directly after the events of Revenge of the Sith, created some problems.

V-2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Of all the things that are no longer canon, I shed no tears for The Force Unleashed. If one needed to see how low Lucasarts had fallen, you had to look no farther than this game or its abortion of a sequel.

11. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I'm fine with it being gone too. The main thing I did't really care for was just how overpowered the main character was, but I thought the first game was Ok.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  12. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I still remember not long after it came out reading about the storyline online. Not long after that an older brother who likes games and knows I like Star Wars told me he had it and was playing it. He tried to laugh me off when I tried to spoil the ending by telling him that Vader had only trained Starkiller because the Emperor had told him too. Fast-forward a few months HE tries to tell ME that Vader only trained Starkiller because the Emperor told him too. He was surprised when I reminded him that I already knew and had told him that a while ago.

Having only played part of the game I didn't feel that it fit well with what we knew in the movies. It left too many questions in my mind instead of answers. One of them being that if Bail Organa was known to be a Rebel or have sympathies than why hadn't Leia been dragged kicking and screaming but silently, to a base to be questioned. And let's not forget the mess that was the sequel. o_O That made little to no sense from what I read and heard from other fans.

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    This is one of the few things I'm glad to be rid of with the reboot. Other things I'm more sad about, but when they announced the reboot, I was afraid this would be one of the things they were keeping since I thought at the time this was closer to canon than other games due to Lucas' involvement (such as how TCW forms the bulk of the new canon :( ). At least I think Lucas was involved.

From the overpowered main character (dragging a Star Destroyer out of orbit) to the ridiculous plot (oh, Palpatine accidentally formed the Rebel Alliance, whoops :rolleyes: ). It was one of Lucasart's last big efforts, but then they had to make a sequel which ended on a cliffhanger, with the third part cancelled before TFU2 had even been published, another sign of what bad shape Lucasarts was in near the end. I'm just glad to be rid of the whole mess, even if instead we're stuck with the cartoons like TCW and Rebels as canon. I half expect Rebels will become the "definitive" inter-trilogy story of how the Rebellion formed, otherwise they might have kept TFU. Still not too sure about Rebels' quality though, we'll see in another few years.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's terrible, with a stupid plot and worse characters. I've said it so you don't have to.

StrikerKOJ, ayures and Zeta1127 like this.
  15. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I'm actually kind of sad the first one isn't canon anymore. But good riddance to the second one.

Of course I'm basing my opinions off the novelizations in which the main hero was less powerful. In it Starkiller didn't yank that puppy out of the sky. He just redirected a star destroyer that was already falling.

rumsmuggler and Ichor_Razor like this.
  16. ayures

ayures Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2014
    Seriously. The main character was such a Mary Sue that it hurt. Plus, the game was so damned glitchy that I ragequit after getting stuck in random plants on Felucia (to the point where I had to restart) for the 10th time.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The only thing that made me rage quit was Kasdan Paratus on Sith Master difficulty. It was bad enough he's a cheap bastard regardless the difficulty, but the ludicrousness goes up to a 1,000 that way. ****er... :mad:

18. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Was a shame that the game was such garbage. I remember before it was release they did a bunch of previews of the new game engine they were developing and it was pretty sick at the time. Then that engine got applied to that game and bleh...

MrZAP likes this.
  19. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    The novelization of the books are much better than the game IMO. Especially the novelization of the second book, which shows also the perspective from Juno which was cut from the game. Only after I read them, I got some peace with the plot of the second game, which was shambolic.

Saying that, playing games was quite a bit fun. Starkiller was overpowered but it was explained that he actually didn't drag that starship, and both Vader and Palps actually left him to 'defeat' them (Palps playing the same trick later with Luke Skywalker).

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I didn't mind the story that much, Vader having a secret apprentice to help him kill Jedi is no worse than him using the Inquisitor in Rebels.
    The problem with the game was the repetitiveness of the controls which made it get easy pretty quick & also less interesting.
    The overpowered abilities were just part of the game, but it did get ridiculous. Vader was made to look like **** next to Starkiller which was dumb & beating Sidious was worse.

TFU 2 is a horror show, the plot is just a cash-in and makes no sense plus it's stupidly short. Add to that characters like Yoda get shoehorned in for no reason.

It's not canon now, but I'm not sure it ever was. Video games operated on a different level to the books in terms of canon because they had multiple endings & such. TFU was meant to be Lucas' version of the founding of the Rebellion but under the old tier system it wasn't that important anyway.

I have no problem if Rebels decides to erase it

beedubaya and darth car like this.
  21. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Meh. The repetitiveness never bothered me & I kinda liked how he overpowered Vader since, hey, he's not what he used to be since his injuries on Mustafar what with his force potential greatly reduced due to them & seeing him do the same thing to Sidious was awesome to me for some reason though I did happen to like the fight in the Wii/PS2/PSP version since you were fighting mano-a-mano with him the entire time instead of him unleashing his royal guards to come after you when he retreated temporarily.

This, otoh, I agree with 100%.

I personally hope it doesn't.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I guess Starkiller could appear in Rebels, but I assume the Inquisitor is there to replace him.

23. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    ^^ That was my thought on Starkiller too. Inquisitor seems to have a spot that could easily replace a lot of LEU Imperials. I was also hoping we'd see the return of Mara Jade or any other Emperor's Hand, though the Inquisitor seems to be effectivelly playing the role of the Hand as well.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Sam witwer is rumored to be on rebels

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yeah but he won't play Arsekiller because Farce Unleashed, terrible, etc