main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So is there a new person running for President? KONY 2012

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rebel_Padawan, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Ok so straight up I will admit I have not yet viewed Invisible Children's 30 minute video which heads up their marketing campaign, but the amount of activity this is taking up on social media sites is crazy, it disturbs me how quickly people are jumping on this bandwagon.

Does no one consider the criticisms or take into account any critical thoughts on the matter?

EDIT: If anyone is confused by my choice of title for this thread, I'm simply suggesting that the styling of the campaign to resemble that of a Presidential election moniker is an odd way to promote a War Criminal. (If that makes sense)

2. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Yeah I'd like to know a bit more about this charity and how they actually have spent their money in the past year and evidence of projects they're undertaking before jumping on this bandwagon.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yeah, this has been all over my News Feed.

4. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    It's popping up all over youtube. Comments of "KONY 2012!" on lots of videos. I just saw it this morning and also thought it was some new presidential campaign.

edit: found the website of it

5. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Straight up now tell me are you gonna love me forever?

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Can someone give me the cliff notes

7. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    I'm always perplexed by the stuff that goes viral. [face_thinking]

8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Joseph Kony

Lord's Resistance Army

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And here's an article detailing the reasons why we should not get all hyped up.

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    If this has been on Facebook, I haven't noticed, as my news feed of late has been all Mass Effect 3 (OMG!!!!!!!!!) or someone else sharing that 'leap year disproves the Mayan calendar thing' picture.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So it disturbs the OP how everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

So when everyone was against various Muslim terrorist groups, such has Al Qaeda, Al Qaeda in Iraq, Hamas, etc, it was fine. But now that people are coming out against a Christian group, suddenly it's "Hold your horses."

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Am I allowed to find it disturbing that the bandwagon solution for dealing with the LRA is "Fund a different warlord", or is any critique strictly verboten?

14. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Or you could just grease him with a Predator drone.

15. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    You can not honestly draw parallels, surely? I do not think this KONY guy's crimes are more excusable or 'not as bad as' crimes undertaken by terrorist groups. I am simply disturbed by the fact that people too easily will join a cause without taking the time to consider all the facts and whether or not supporting a group such as IC is justifiable and worth the attention it is getting.

Considering I am a Christian myself, IN NO WAY am I 'coming out against' them because of their affiliation.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Assuming you can find him, but yes, I agree with turning him into a bloody smear is suitable punishment for his crimes.

17. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I knew about Al Qaeda before 9/11.
    [face_hipster]

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    If you'll reread my post, you'll see that I'm saying you're the one going "hold your horses" not the one coming about against them.

19. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    There has been a Kony 2012 poster in my neighborhood for months. I thought it was Allston being a level of ironic that I wasn't on. I didn't realize it'd be a thing.

I'm also deeply confused about why this is going viral now, and not months ago when the LRA was really in the news because Obama dispatched special forces to Uganda to help deal with him/them.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Obama sending the military against the LRA means he hates Christians.

21. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    KONY 2012

"May Death Come Swiftly To His Enemies"

22. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    One does not simply...

Armchair activism, blah blah blah. It's a good cause, but I have some problems with the organization, mainly for the issues here.

23. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Ok then, so what exactly is your point? I am more or less saying "Hold your horses" yes. But I'm sure I've made it clear why I am saying so.

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    My point is that for the last 10 years when this country was against Muslim terrorists. Now someone makes a video about a Christian terrorist group, and suddenly it's like "why is everyone jumping on the bandwagon." Isn't that a little disingenuous? Hypocritical, even? I think it's refreshing that a Christian terrorist group is getting the spotlight for the time being.

On a side note:
    [image=http://i.qkme.me/36hf93.jpg]

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    [image=http://i.imgur.com/iVCld.jpg]