So, is this an actual rule now.. (Discussing parody threads)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jp-30, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    His participation doesn't really change anything. The clarification I posted could really go for every single user too.
  2. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I look at his participation like I look at dealing with the CEO of my company.

My CEO isn't a real man of the people, but I don't care. I have a job, and as long as I have a job with good benefits and pay (i.e. I'm getting something that benefits me out of it), I don't have to talk to him. :p

I just like coming here, and am glad it's here.
  3. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    I think Rhonda put it nicely:
    As owner of the site, I don't think he needs to explain himself at all. Sure, it would be nice, but seeing as he doesn't log into the boards and leaves the everyday operations up to those who care passionately about them, I'd say that's plenty to be happy about.
  4. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
    Indeed it is, most bosses can't keep their noses out of things.
  5. DarthButt Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Rhonda's always had an acurate nail-hit-on-the-head perception, view, and reality of the ownership of this site.
  6. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    Hey! When did you step down, young lady?! [:D]
  7. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll hijack my existing "what's up in the JCC" thread...

I thought Parody Threads were OK now, so long as it wasn't part of a spamming spree?

http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/29316070/

:(

8. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    there wasn't a "rant"-based spree, but there were quite a lot of parodies generally since sometime yesterday

it never occured to me before that it had to be parodies of the same thread/title to count among a "spree". or within the same hour.
  9. MaidenLumpe VIP

star 3
    I asked about it, and was told that they're adjusting the policy, but it hasn't been announced to the general public yet.
  10. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    So, they lock your thread, Carmen, but not the Dr Who Insomnia one or the Chicken/Woman one or...

:rolleyes:
  11. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    Maybe you should read the rules.

Parody sprees (more than one parody thread of a certain subject) are discouraged.

Also, why would they enact a policy change and not tell the community?
  12. MaidenLumpe VIP

star 3
    I always thought 'parody spree' refers to parodies of the same thread. Otherwise, it expects that users are aware of what's been going on earlier in the day - I had no idea that a bunch of parodies had been locked earlier that day when I made my thread because I hadn't wandered past the front page.
  13. CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not surprised, what with all the NURSES PURSES CURSES, threads that were popping up all day yesterday.
  14. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    So, Carmen's thread is locked due to the 'nurses' spree from the day before? But the Insomnia and woman/eggs parodies are allowed to stay open?

And both Prenn & Yvette posted in Carmen's thread before it Prenn locked it. :confused:

Can we have a little consistency, please?

15. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Spirit > Letter.

Because we're only at the "I think the policy needs to change" - "I disagree" stage.
  16. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    You're not understanding the 'spirit' then.

Also, if you're still debating a possible future rule change, perhaps it's a bit early to actually be modding it?
  17. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    Seconding everything JP just posted.
  18. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Carmen's thread shouldn't have been locked. Period.

It really shouldn't be this hard, should it?
  19. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    No, we have to spend a couple of hours retconning JCC rules so that no one ends up with egg on their face and forced to reverse a mod action.
  20. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Are you allowed to mention egg in your post given that JCC egg thread and it's parody?
  21. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The egg thread parody is still open, so I guess egg is fine to mention. Just don't mention diet soda or sweets/candy.
  22. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    JP's right that it's a bit early to start modding rule changes that we are discussing. I thought we had reached an agreement yesterday, and modded based off of that, but really the discussions were still going. So I screwed up, sorry about that. The community hasn't been made aware yet because we haven't reached an agreement, though we're close, so I'd expect a decision today or tomorrow, and you guys will know when we figure out what we're going to do. The rule change we're discussing right now, though, is to allow parodies that can stand alone without the parent thread (i.e. ASG's apple thread, and the woman/egg threads), but not allowing parodies that can't stand alone as their own thread, without the parent thread.

Also, we're discussing this rule change because we've seen an increase in overall spam on the boards, and the recent parody threads and parody sprees have contributed to that, as far as we can tell, so we're discussing what to do about that. If you have opinions on the subject, you can feel free to PM me or post them there, and we'll take them into account while we're discussing it.

Sorry for the confusion guys.
  23. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    If you don't want parody sprees, make the rule one parody per original thread and no parodies of the parodies. Take action (warning, banning) against those that don't follow the rule. Simple and easy to understand. None of this can it or can't it stand alone stuff.
  24. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    So, what about Carmen's thread makes it unable to stand without the original?
    And what about the Doctor Who insomnia thread makes it able to stand without the original?
    And what about the women/egg thread makes it able to stand without the original? (especially considering that all of the posts were double entendrees on the other thread.)
    And what about the "Jello is disgusting" thread makes it unable to stand without the originals?

This rule is way, way too grey. The only problem with the current policy is that people break it, like yesterday with the -urses spree. So start giving out bans for those and problem solved.

So can you unlock it please?
  25. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Cool, but that doesn't take into account why the woman/eggs, the insomnia or the pill/mushroom parodies were untouched?

Anyway, never mind. Just be aware that I think most people enjoy a good parody, such as Carmen's. The stupid 'nurses' spree is fine to lock when it happens, but does a rule change really need to be made here?

>> Also, we're discussing this rule change because we've seen an increase in overall spam on the boards.

Really? The boards are damn slow these days. Surely the 5 of you can keep on top of it under the existing rule-set? And what sort of spam-threads are you talking about (outside of 'nurses/purses/curses' style sprees)?
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.