main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, is this an actual rule now.. (Discussing parody threads)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jp-30, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    I agree with you, harpuah. There are several important ideas coming up and they are important enough to have their own thread.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    yes. two topics in one thread is extremely unacceptable.

3. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Perhaps a separate thread on the subject that seems to have overtaken this topic is in order then. There's no reason this discussion should be not only blown off, but written off as off topic. The current discussion arose based on the policy of parody threads. That inherently goes to the way certain forums are modded, and how policy is enforced. What's the problem?

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I brought up the parody sprees as something being indicative of the user/mod relationship in JCC, in some cases. It happens in JCC, people let off a little steam whether good or bad by doing things like parody sprees, poking a mod in a thread, etc. Mods then react, etc., etc. The JCC mods and users seem to be having a pretty good conversation about it, honestly, kudos to both of them.

Not saying that mod/user friction is the reason all the time as it's sometimes just for fun, and JCC mods know that. (And this is coming from one of the mods who helped lock a 22-thread parody spree about different meanings of "Rush"...) A lot of this stuff relates to each other, even if it has veered off the original topic of how you talk about the owner. ;) The discussion has evolved more positively than say, Tunick's thread which looked like a "bitch about the JCC and it's mods" thread. Just my .02 worth.

5. PrincessChattyCathy

PrincessChattyCathy Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2005
    I don't mind a number of different topics being covered by this thread and I think it is helpful to bring up issues the users are seeing in the JCC. How about we just do a little title change by adding currently discussing parody threads, and mod actions or something like that? That way the title can reflect what is being discussed now for anyone that would like to participate they can easily see where we are at.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I agree with Cathy. Change the thread title. Since its beginnings this thread hasn't really shown visitors to Comms what it's all about, and (especially) now it's shifted from it's original purpose that should be reflected.

7. PrincessChattyCathy

PrincessChattyCathy Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2005
    I feel like I accomplished something great here. Everton agreed with me. I think I will not say too much more so as not to push my luck.

8. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I've updated the title.

9. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I like parody threads.
    They are def. unique to this forum and their uniqueness must be preserved.
    I agree it's fun to visit the JCC and see them all and try to find the original.

10. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002

lol @ this. :p This is totally how I feel about parody threads.

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Wait, there's still fun in the YJCC?

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The original purpose was to query a decision made in locking a thread in JCC that seemed counter to the existing ruleset. The title reflected that, and I think that's still the general gist of the discussion. .

GK edit: Don't discuss those things publicly.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    General gist, yeah, but generally Comms threads started by non-mods tend to revolve around the application of the rules and the disagreements that generates.

A better title originally might've included the 'noob-mod' thing - which it turned out to be. Or perhaps mention the rule that was mis-applied. Now we're discussing parody threads (or at least I think we are) it's certainly better to point out in the thread title exactly that - so people know what they're coming in to discuss. Clarity is better in Comms thread titles, that's all.

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Oh, I agree the title is kinda vague, but I don't think the actual overall topic has changed that much over the course of the thread. That's all.

Who are you, Harold Lloyd?

15. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    GK edit: Don't discuss those things publicly.

16. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    GK edit: Don't discuss those things publicly

Is there really something to hide that can't be discussed publicly? Is there a guilty conscience involved or is it just trying to cover the collective asses of the MS's image in front of users that haven't seen what was said?

17. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    Is it something that will really matter by next February?

18. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    [face_shame_on_you] [face_shhh]
    You'll get baned Juli.

My opinion on parody threads:

Somedays the traffic on the JCC is at a stand still.
    Then out of nowhere we have a parody spree.
    I find it entertaining. :)
    But I also subscribe to the mod rule that there be some substance to the parody.
    It needs to have a valid topic.

THE END.

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Not to take sides Juli, but that comment fits in the 'Us' category just as much as the mods action might (might) fit into the 'Them' category.

20. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    or simply a rule that hasn't changed one bit since the last attempt to bend it.

21. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    What happens in February?

22. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    So if the point to have open discussion about existing, and possible future changes regarding issues of any kind isn't going to be allowed in comms, what is the point of having this forum?

You can can claim a "Us against them" stance, but let's not pretend like the same thing doesn't go on in MS behind closed doors. I really don't understand why discussion of legitimate complaints, or disagreements with policies get so much crap. Comms is here to build a better understanding and compromise of community policy between staff and users. If it's not going to be utilized for those purpose what's the point of having it?

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

24. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    Nothing special, but is it really going to matter then, or next November, or midnight on the eighth full moon of 2009?

25. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Yes, that is the purpose of Comms. The fact that we can discuss opinions, frustrations and disagreements on things is why I thought we were here. No one is trying to stop that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.