main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So- isn't it still NJO, not post-NJO?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JulioOrtiz, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulioOrtiz

JulioOrtiz Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2004
    Hello all.

I have a question. I see all of this discussion about the "Post-NJO" trilogy ("Dark Nest") and then the following 9-book series. But, isn't this whole era, collectively (beginning with Vector Prime) considered "New Jedi Order"? I thought that the NJO label wasn't applying to just the Vong invasion, but to the general era- the latest, ongoing part of the Star Wars mythology.

So, will the Dark Nest Trilogy simply be "Star Wars: The Dark Nest Trilogy" or is it to be "Star Wars: The New Jedi Order- the Dark Nest Trilogy". Make sense?

2. Zee Zee

Zee Zee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    I would say that the label post-NJO is used for the convenience of fans like ourselves who like to place our books/stories into chronological order before we've read/bought them - sort of makes us contented.

However IMHO Lucas Books will have to create a new Era so that the lay reader will see that these new books are not to be confused with Episode III and related books (Ep.III - IV). This is why they created the five/six Era's back in 1998/1999, so that lay readers would not confuse NJO books with Episode I.

So the question is - what to call it?

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There's a difference between the NJO series and NJO-era. When "post-NJO" is used, it refers to after the series, not after the era.

4. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    I think we have the NJO series on one side, and the NJO era on the other. The NJO series is done, but the era is still expanding. I'm pretty sure that Dark Nest will not have the NJO series label on it, but it will have the symbol on the back...

[image=http://www.timbolton.freeserve.co.uk/star_wars_area/mmor/media/era_symbol_njo.jpg]

5. Zee Zee

Zee Zee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    I agree with "There's a difference between the NJO series and NJO-era. When "post-NJO" is used, it refers to after the series, not after the era." but only us "fanboys" would recognise the succinct difference between a series and an Era. For the lay reader, there would be confusion - after all, LucasBooks believed there would be confusion between Anakin Solo and Anakin Skywalker and thus killed of the youngest Solo in Star by Star during the "height" of the NJO.
    For Lucas Books to attract new readers they must project these new books in a manner that will not confuse people before they have even picked up the book - they look at the cover "Mmmm... Star Wars", open the book to read the flap and go "Oh... who is Jacen Solo? Who is Jaina Solo?". There needs to be a clear method to indicate that these books are set up to 30 years AFTER Jedi.

Why did Lucas Books think it necessary to put the full title on all NJO books: "Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime", etc and similarly all Clone Wars novels are similarly clearly labelled in textual form, not merely a symbol. Only books that occur during the Rebellion and New Republic Era (eg Tatooine Ghost, Ruins of Dantooine) are not labelled as such. I will not include graphic novels as they appeal to different markets.

6. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    It takes place in the NJO era (which is 25+ ABY), but is not a part of the NJO series that ran from VP - TUF. It will have the era logo, but not the subtitle.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It'd be like all the other books being titled Rise of the Empire: Shatterpoint or Rebellion: Shadows of the Empire.

8. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    Post-TUF might be a more accurate term. And it would require no extra typing, either.

9. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    it's post tuf njo

10. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Not really, for me it has always been post NJO the series.

11. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Why did Lucas Books think it necessary to put the full title on all NJO books: "Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime", etc and similarly all Clone Wars novels are similarly clearly labelled in textual form, not merely a symbol.

a) At the time, the symbol hadn't yet been developed; it was first included on the audio version of Balance Point, and first included on an actual novel on Conquest.

b) The New Jedi Order is its own, discrete series. Not labelling it as such would have been like not putting the series name on the X-wing novels, or the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.