main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate So it looks like the Ebola outbreak is getting more serious

Discussion in 'Community' started by Space_Wolf, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Only because Bubonic Plague is sitting in the corner shaking his fist at and admonishing both of them because the young viruses have it so easy. Why, in the good 'ole days, a virus had to rely on hitching a ride with fleas to get anywhere, and then it was up hill both ways to even see a victim.

2. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    That maybe true but this particul strand has changed.

death rate was 90% till this year. The number has decreased down to 70% (it was originally thought the number was 50% but that was changed in the middle of Oct by WHO after they entered homes to begin to clear the bodies out.)
    Back then an outbreak was contained within 200 to 2000 cases.
    More than 10,000 people have contracted Ebola this year including health care workers who were properly protected. It still wasn't enough to protect them.
    Back then Ebola took between 3 days to a week to kill the host.
    Now it takes three weeks to kill the host. The first week isn't bad, it's the following two to three weeks is when you become very sick. This is also the other reason why they're having a heck of a time in containing it, people don't realize how much trouble they're in until the middle of the second week.
    Incubation used to be upto four to six days.
    Now it's between 2 to 21 days.

I've been following Ebola outbreaks since 1993, for some reason this one particular virus intrigued me and I wasn't sure why. It had such a low transmission rate that I never thought so many people could come down with it. It seemed so easy to control. But the amount of time it takes to kill someone is the reason they're having trouble controlling it this time, and the first week can easily be mistaken for the regular flu.
    fatigue, headache, fever and muscle ache. This is why they're concerned and most likely the reason they're beginning to crack down on quarantine so hard.

You won't realize how sick you are until you're in the second week, that is when the rest of the symptoms show.
    By the third week the major organs begin to fail from severe dehydration and possibly bleeding. Not everyone bleeds.

This virus has changed. It went from a quick death to a slow and painful one. That's the part that shocked me when I read about what changed in this particular strand

It's still hard to catch yes but there is always the chance of still getting it despite precautions.

There won't be an effective vaccine against it until the virus stops mutating long enough to get an effective vaccine. (They studied it and watched to see how many times it could mutate. The studies showed it mutated 300 times in a month.)

The vaccines they're giving out now are still in the experimental stage and there's no guarantee of it being effective.

This is also another reason why they're scanning everyone coming out of West Africa. It only takes one person to be sick on a plane for chaos to ensue. Patrick Swayer was on his way back to the states but collapsed at an air port in Lagos Africa. Nine people contrated the virus and it began to spread like wildfire. Just one person did all that.

A healer of herbal medicines went from village to village claiming she knew how to cure Ebola. Hundreds fell ill from this healer who eventually died from Ebola herself. Those who prepared her body fell ill. Anyone who touched the body fell ill. The body is the most contagious after death.

They cremated Duncan's body within hours of his death.

Ebola is the nastiest piece of work since the black plague. It sneaks in and shuts down your immune system and by the time the immune system realizes what's going on, it goes haywire. It's not the virus that kills you, it's your immune system.

This is what I know from reading up on reports from medical professional perspectives, knowledge of the virus and professional opinions.

3. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

I am fully aware of why he asked the question. Even though my feelings on the death penalty would not have given him the satisfaction he was looking for (for the most part anyway, to me it isn't a simple for or against answer), it satisfied me more to just deny him an answer all together.

The reality about Influenza is that is looked at as an ordinary part of life here in the USA. People expect to get the flu in their lifetime here in the States, we don't, nor should we have to, expect to get Ebola. So again the two are not related because Ebola, no matter how hard it is to pass, is not something we should have to deal with here just because some nurse can't sit in here house for a few weeks. I know we could sit here and have an ideological discussion over should or shouldn't people be forcibly quarantined over the flu or not, but the reality is that what people expect to catch in everyday life is different than what they don't expect to catch.

With that said, one thing that pisses me off more than anything is when parents send their sick and snot leaking kids to school and my kids have to be near them. When my kids are sick, they stay home, they are quarantined!

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Cuba's Ebols Diplomacy

Ender Sai and Rogue_Ten like this.
  5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Find something new to panic over. The mountain biking nurse is now past the 21 day time frame and the bowling doctor is ebola free.

Personally, I'd go with global warming, looks like the Republican Congress, rather trying to stop it, is actually going to try to make it worse. Because burning coal is so darned wonderful.

Jedi Merkurian and Rogue_Ten like this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No, the media's back to ISIS.

Poor ISIS, Ebola came along and nobody cared about ISIS anymore.

7. honeybadger

honeybadger Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    Things you're more likely to die of than decapitation by ISIS

#1 Squished by a flying house

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    2000 new confirmed/probable ebola cases in west Africa over the past 18-21 days. Liberia seemed to have reclaimed some capacity to monitor and confirm cases of the disease, and there are some signs that the rate of new infections are slowing, but the number of cases may still be many times higher than the 320 cases confirmed there over the past 3 weeks. Mali has had 4 ebola deaths, with dozens of people now quarantined.

WHO reported that 20% of new ebola infections in west Africa occur from burial of dead ebola patients.

9. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    "More than 10,000 people have contracted Ebola this year including health care workers who were properly protected. It still wasn't enough to protect them." Falcon

Then they probably weren't properly protected innit.

10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I, for one, look forward to the countless cases of Ebola stricken chipmunks in the woods where the nurse went biking.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

They have their own C-chip paramilitaries standing by to wipe out the Ebols and Chombies.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

edit: I had to change the other one. Too disturbing. [face_skull]

12. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Or picked it up outside the ebola center...

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    India has its first recovered ebola patient. Not sure why it's news exactly, except that he's being quarantined. Not sure why exactly, except that his semen has tested positive for the virus. We already knew that ebola lives on in semen long after the patient is otherwise cured...but it's a bit surprising that India plans to keep this cured patient quarantined until his sperm is virus-free...up to six months?

Draconian, but this is a country of more than 1 billion with a significant percentage living in slums and on the street.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Most awkward masturbation ever.

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    some say you haven't really lived until you've nutted into a plastic specimen cup at a fertility clinic

16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Sierra Leone, Freetown seems like the epicenter of the disease at present. 500 new cases a week in Sierra Leone, an apparent leveling off of transmission in Liberia, and a declared end of the separate ebola epidemic in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

more on ebola and semen

17. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I believe Troma already made this movie.

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Incredibly, the situation in Liberia seems to have improved dramatically, hopefully a sign that international intervention, including the presence of U.S. soldiers, is starting to pay off there.

Sierra Leone remains the epicenter of the disease and is still producing 500 new confirmed cases each week. The cumulative total of confirmed/probable/suspected cases in the three countries stands at 17,111 and is likely to remain under 20,000 for 2014. Mali has had 6 deaths, 8 likely cases, with 227 contacts currently being monitored and 206 people who have completed 21 days of follow-up monitoring. That's compared to a total of 177 people in the U.S. who have completed 21 days of monitoring.

19. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Things you're more likely to die of than ebola

#9 lynched by a mob of angry peasants who storm your castle wielding torches and pitchforks

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Hasn't Sierra Leone always been really corrupt and what government there is is very minimal? I'm not surprised they're still having issues. They also don't trust outsides from everything I've read.

21. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Things you're more likely to die of than ebola

#10 melting to death when a Nazi opens the ark of the covenant

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    18,111 cumulative total cases in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia. The number will hit 20,000 in January. If ebola doesn't experience another major outbreak in a neighboring country, then maybe the epidemic will be under control before June with less than 30,000 cumulative cases and fewer than 15,000 confirmed/probable deaths, with a permanently unknown but significantly higher number of undocumented cases.

24. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    #11 eaten to death by known extraterrestrial lizard-person, Donald Rumsfeld

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    20,000 total reported cases in Guinea, Libera and Sierra Leone for the year and nearly 8,000 deaths. But hopefully the end is really in sight for closing this epidemic out by mid 2015.

All countries Number of deaths Total Cumulative Data package 2014-12-29 20 081 20081.00000 This total only includes the high transmission countries Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone
    All countries Number of deaths Total Cumulative Data package 2014-12-29 7842 7842.00000