main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, I've been watching Young Indiana Jones for the first time since I was 9 . . .

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Heero_Yuy, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    It's definitely a hit or miss series. Much like practically everything else Lucasfilm did for TV. Couple thoughts I've had while watching.

1. He just randomly starts calling himself Indy without explanation or build up. . . Ok?

2. When I was little I think I actually preferred the 9 year old Indy episodes to the Sean Patrick Flannery episodes. Odd I know, but maybe it was I could relate to Indy in those days and couldn't relate to the war related stuff. Now a days, I definitely appreciate the latter more.

3. They did an Edison episode. That's all well and good, but no Tesla? You'd think he'd be perfect for an Indiana Jones adventure. The Germans stole Tesla's earthquake machine/death ray/whatever. Indy and Tesla have to stop the Germans from using it. There ya go, writers!

4. Getting real sick of Indy constantly needing to learn about love.

5. I've been watching the occasional clips of the old man Indy that were edited out of the DVD versions. So, he thinks kids would rather hear about ancient jackal idols than the time he fought against a dude that could rip people's hearts out? His finger is most definitely NOT on the pulse of youth!

I'll think of more as I go through and think about it some more.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Some of the morals of the stories were mind-bogglingly heavy-handed. "Gee, Mom, I think maybe slavery is bad."

OTOH, I loved the WW1 Lafayette Escadrille episode. Those first aces have always fascinated me, and they were portrayed with a lot more accuracy and realism than many movies.

3. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ I was more amused by the fact that nine year old Indy went from being age appropriate to looking like he should almost be ready to shave in a single story. Yes, I know the show was filmed out of order, but it's still noticeably distracting.

4. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    6. Crap Indy had used for the reshoots is crap. What, did they throw the old hat away? Seriously, the Indy hat I got at Disney was better!

5. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    7. RIP. Miss Seymour. I'm actually a little sad.

6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    For a while I considered giving this show a try on DVD but now I just think LF will eventually brand it non-canon when they go to make Indy 5

7. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    8. I'm watching the post WWI stuff and I'm stunned at how much I'm relating to the father son dynamic in this series.

8. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    They partially did that already. The old episodes were introduced by a ninety-something-year-old Indiana Jones, who'd lost an eye and had a daughter. When they rereleased the series on DVD, Lucas, true to form, had all of that scrubbed out (presumably to prepare for Indy IV, where he had a son and not a daughter).

9. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, my source for Young Indy is down, so I'm not sure what to comment on beyond Harrison Ford trying to be Indy despite his Fugitive beard was hella distracting.

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I was hoping the show was still on Netflix, guess it left the site back in July. Hopefully they bring it back online at some point. I'd like to see it.

11. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    The whole show used to be on YouTube. I'm sure it's still around if you search hard enough.

12. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    I really liked it. In fact, in a lot of ways, I liked it more as a period piece than I liked the films as action-adventure flicks.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Heero_Yuy, are you watching the original episodes as they aired or the recut and reedited ones they released years later on DVD?

14. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Do we know if this show is ever coming out on blu ray? My ultimate dream is for it to come out on blu ray steelbook. But Im not going to hold my breath on that.