main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So I've got some time to waste

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by VoijaRisa, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I captured some video against a blue screen not to long ago for my fan film. Unfortunately, the lighting wasn't as good as I wanted it to be and it's not keying out well at all.

Now I'm at college and can't tape anymore and have no other shots to really work on, so I'm wondering if it's possible to import each frame into photoshop or some other picture editing program and erase the shadows by hand and then recompose it in AE.

Yeah, it'd be a lot of work, but I've got nothing better to do.

2. SuprSpy79

SuprSpy79 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2003
    Open it in premiere and export it as a film strip - then go into photoshop and paint out all the shadows. Reimport back to premiere and then do whatever you want from there.

But if i were you i would try dvmatte pro first. That plugin is the most amazing thing ive seen in a long time.

3. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    You'd be betteroff trying to mask out your shadows in AE, probably. You might have to do a bit of rotoscoping depending where the shadows are, but either way I think it'd be easier and simpler than trying to do it in Photoshop... and probably come out better, too.

4. Darth_Katanas

Darth_Katanas Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2003
    YOU'RE THE MAN NOW RYAN. If it were up to you, the entire planet would be run on After Effects! Horray!

World hunger? After Effects! War? After Effects! Global warming? AFTER EFFECTS THE LIVING HELL OUTTA THAT ******.

Masks solve everything damnit!

5. Jedi_Kyeju

Jedi_Kyeju Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    Ok settle down there buddy and watch the language.

Yes I have tried rotoscoping in Photoshop blue around someone when I had some unsatisfactory lighting.

First it takes FOREVER. Expect to spend DAYS at the computer doing it.

Second you will most likely get a wiggly edge around whatever your subject is, unless you go and pain in basically pixel by pixel.

Like Ryan said go with AE masking because you can render, see how it looks, then afterwards go back and tweak it.

Have fun!

6. Darth_Katanas

Darth_Katanas Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2003
    You may now remove your lips off of Ryans ass.

Sorry to hijack the thread dooder, but I JUST HATE RYAN WEIBER.

7. ultimateguy

ultimateguy Jedi Master star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    Darth_Katanas, what's with all the comments against Ryan? It's OK if you don't like him, but last time I checked, slandering other people was against the forum rules.

Lighten up!

8. Art_Vandalet

Art_Vandalet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2002
    ?World hunger? After Effects! War? After Effects! Global warming? AFTER EFFECTS THE LIVING HELL OUTTA THAT ******."

Well I must admit, that comment he made was certainly funny. It's like how they put all troubled children on Prosiac.

---Watch your language. I'm not in a good mood tonight after's Darth's tantrum. - Az

9. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    You'd be betteroff trying to mask out your shadows in AE, probably. You might have to do a bit of rotoscoping depending where the shadows are

I thought about trying to do this, but the shadows are directly against the edge of the body and trying to create a mask with enough points to make it look like a natural body contour still seems difficult and needless to say it would require a pretty good number of points to animate.

That's why I wanted to photoshop it. Just get out the little bits of fuzz right against the edge that I couldn't get rid of.

10. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    I captured some video against a blue screen not to long ago for my fan film. Unfortunately, the lighting wasn't as good as I wanted it to be and it's not keying out well at all.

Now I'm at college and can't tape anymore and have no other shots to really work on, so I'm wondering if it's possible to import each frame into photoshop or some other picture editing program and erase the shadows by hand and then recompose it in AE.

Yeah, it'd be a lot of work, but I've got nothing better to do.

Or get dvMatte/Pro.

11. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Uh-huh. Or some Darth Katanas skill. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.