main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So I've started an original card game...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by jacemathem, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm currently in the process of designing and producing a fan-project. I will be creating, what I like to call, a DCG (Downloadable Card Game). It will center around the Clone Wars, including the comics and the animated series. "Booster Packs" will actually be randomized ZIP files with the images. You would be able to print them off and play with them as you wish.

Well, anyways, tell me what you think of the idea.

Here's 2 promotional cards, a few stages behind where I am now:
    [image=http://apotheosis.tv/files/jacemathem-promo1-generalkenobi.jpg] [image=http://apotheosis.tv/files/jacemathem-promo1-generalgrievous.jpg]

(Maybe Bib can work an Apprentice patch for me and we can play online, eh? [face_mischief])

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Wow, those cards look fantastic!

3. Sifu

Sifu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 1999
    Stunning. Love the design. More please!

4. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    Here's another promotional card, just shy of being finished. The game text has yet to be written and placed in.

[image=http://apotheosis.tv/files/jacemathem-expansion2-anakinskywalkerjedistarfighterpilot-promo.jpg]

It would be nice if I had some assistance in creating the card stats and overall game play. I'm not very fluent with game mechanics, I'm just good at making the images. :p

5. ig-812

ig-812 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2004
    it would be cool if grievous could use 4 sabers for a force drain bonus of + 4.

are you going to use the ccg mechanics?

by the way, the cards look great!
    do the wolf jedi from episode 20 next!

6. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm very fond of the CCG mechanics, but I also like the idea from the TCG of certain abilities characters can have. There will be locations, starships, vehicles, effects, interrupts, and the whole deal a la CCG.

The first two expansions are so far: Clone Wars: Season 1 and Clone Wars: Season 2. Don't worry, Voolvif Monn will have his own card in Season 2. ;)

7. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    Heh, I already went and made the booster pack for the Season 1 expansion when I haven't even finished one damn card. :p

[image=http://img72.photobucket.com/albums/v218/clonewarsdcg/expansion-season1.jpg]

8. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I'd love to help with mechanics/GT etc. What can I do? I am much more familiar with the CCG, but I do know how the TCG uses Force to activate card abilites. That, from my understanding, was not too different than the CCG equvalent of "pay X force to Y".

9. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    I could help you with some game mechanics, either CCG or TCG ... or something else entirely .... Just shoot me a PM.

10. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I don't know how to play the SW CCG, will the rules be fairly easy to learn?

11. ig-812

ig-812 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2004
    lets see some locations!

pllleeeaaassse.

12. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Guff,

The basics are pretty easy to learn (plus I'm sure some of us old timers will try to streamline rules where applicable), the devil is in the details. I don't know if for a small project like this you would run into many problems with that.

There's a sticky on here on how the CCG basically works.

13. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    What does "The M" mean? Could it be:

Jacema The Magician

or

Jacema The Murderer

or

Jacema The Masochistic

or

Jacema The Man

or

Jacema The Marshmallow

What could it be?!?

14. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

MoronDude... I actually read that as: Jace Mathem.

You could probably interpret that name a jillion different ways, though. We'll need The Man Himself to give us the Official Interpretation. ;)

Waits for the arrival of The Man,
    Yours Truly

P.S. That's a mighty fine job on the images of those cards. I'm impressed. Good luck in this endeavor, my friend!

15. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    I checked his profile... it must stand for

Jacema The Man of Mystery

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
  17. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    So what else is new, Bib?

:D

18. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    You wanted a location, here's a FINISHED card!! You can start your collections with this one! :p

[image=http://img72.photobucket.com/albums/v218/clonewarsdcg/coruscant.jpg]

I like the idea of "Deploy Sites", I'm not sure if it's original or not. Basicly, the game isn't going to function that if you control a site, you can drain "Force", or cards from the other person's deck. That isn't going to be the main goal here. The main goal is to control all the planets on the table. Now each planet has sites that are numbered, and they are to be placed down in that order. Say for Muunilinst, the space site will be Site 0 (always), and the respective Muunilinst sites will be placed afterwards with the Muunilinst-Conference Room being the last site (I think it's 6 on Muunilinst). Basically, the Republic can only deploy cards at certain places, and if they're going after Muunilinst now, they have to get to Site 0 (the space site), land on Site 1, and progress from one site to the next. There will be objective cards along the way to help with progress. The Republic will have one objective in the Conference Room, that if they complete it, they capture Muunilinst and that planet's over. The Separatists, of course, are working in the opposite direction.

Those are my ideas so far.

And by the way, it's "Jace Mathem". My name's based off my main fan fiction character. You can read the Clone Wars exploits of his father in the link in my sig below.

19. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    OK. Some gameplay suggestions then:

1. Deploy all sites at the start of the game, in a "seed" phase.

2. Limit each player to 4 sites each. That makes 8 sites on the table, which should be plenty.

3. Each player may only deploy one Site 0. All other sites that player deploys must match that Site 0.

4. Each player must deploy one Site 6, as the other player's win condition depends on it.

The game then becomes sort of a race to get to the other player's Site 6. Your strategic decisions are when do you keep forces behind to defend your site 6, and when do you push forward and try to take over your opponent's site 6. You'll need an alternate win condition, though, because this "race" could go on forever with no clear winner.

Also, I would suggest simplifying the game text. With the Republic/Separatist icons, you don't need to specify which sites are "deploy" sites, it will be driven by the icon. This location's game text would then be one line: "Republic starships are power +1 here."

20. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Wish you luck with your set. Brings back some "fond" memories on this board. The card images are neat! :)

R'Bolt

21. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    I'm willing to help with game mechanics if you need. I always love to create. I remember once I took out all my Marvel Universe trading cards and with the power, speed, agility, and intelligence scores, came up with a perfectly workable card game.

22. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    You done yet?

23. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
  24. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    Well, no rush, BUT PLZ HURRY! :p

25. Rst2

Rst2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    You're using the WARS TCG cards for your own use, you shlemil.

RST

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.