main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST So J.J. Abrams wants Star Wars to feel real.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PrincessKenobi , Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    :mad:

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Wow, the man makes one simple and not even revealing statement and many jump down his throat. I think I'll avoid this thread because unfortunately it's making me less and less excited to come to the forums after the actual film is released.

3. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    On the contrary, pretty much everything I've heard regarding the ST has me more and more excited. I'm so happy Episode VII will be directed by someone who TRULY understands Star Wars and will be written by people who actually know what their doing.

I'm shocked and amused at how anyone could turn JJ's words into a negative thing.

Dra---, KevinM1 and FinleySlade like this.
  4. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    This I think is a window into a new sub-group that will spring up after the ST is released - a group that cannot handle the fact that a non-GL written or directed SW movie since the PT may actually be any good. Episode VII may well suck the absolute proverbial and JJ may completely drop the ball, but as said earlier, how on earth can wanting VII to feel real (in the way many of us have already outlined) and basically be good (and JJ has in no way made a direct stab at the PT here - that's my - and others' - inference) be in any way a bad thing? Hilarious.

Dra---, KevinM1, HanSolo29 and 2 others like this.
  5. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I just want a good movie to be quite frank regardless of cgi/models/locations/dialogue whatever. Although I understand where people come from. these comments could just be interpreted about the continuing dislike for the prequels, and fans of those may feel a bit of a cold shoulder imo.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm in agreement that he's nicely saying that he wants it to be like the OT.

7. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Indeed. I just don't understand why some fans resent that so much.

8. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Me neither. He didn't diss the PT at all, and there's no way he or any of the other VII crew or cast will either. The only people I can see being worried are people that love the PT but don't like the OT and I can't believe there is such a niche.

Dra---, Pro Scoundrel and KevinM1 like this.
  9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I love the PT and OT equally. The OT has faults too.

10. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

Yeah I'll go with this too

Dra--- likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    If it's a good blend of the both, I'll be fine with that.

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    JJ had done interviews with people who bashed the Prequels right to his face, and he sat there not disagreeing but snickering and making comments that sort of side stepped his opinion that came off as, yeah, you're right, it's a good thing we don't have to go back there again. So, yeah, the comment about realism does mean something, since he too seemed to be of the opinion that the PT was lacking in that department.

vinsanity and Dra--- like this.
  13. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I love the OT, enjoy a lot about the PT but overall find it frustrating and am hoping the ST is SW at its best.

14. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

I'll be over the moon with this too :)

Dra--- likes this.
  15. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    To be fair here, he's not exactly wrong . . .

16. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Your statement is reasonable... However, I never thought I was watching a video game when watching the prequels. I did when watching Star Trek... I also find JJ's Star Trek and MI films emotinally wafer thin... as are the characters. I don't particulary have an issue with them per se, but they are (in my opinion) a perfect example of McDonalds cinema. Ok when eating, but utimatley unsatisfying and instantly forgetful. I don't personally think JJ has yet made a very good film. I'm not saying he won't... and I hope it's Ep VII... but when I hear him talking about 'realism' or "recapturing the spirit of the OT", I hear spin - mainly because I don't see it in any of his work to date (which I find to be all spectacle crafted in a way that alludes to depth... but ultimately there is nothing but surface).

17. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Personally I don't hear spin, I hear intention - whether or not he achieves that is another matter entirely.

I totally hear what you're saying about JJ's other films. I'm by no means a die hard fan at all. I enjoyed the 1st Trek, thought STID was pretty poor. I liked MI3 but the first half of Super 8 is the one that gives me the most hope - though I feel that was two very different films mashed into a whole that didn't quite work. My main issue with JJ is his writing team. CLearly they're very talented writers but they're not my cup of tea at all. My hope is that Arndt will bring a level of quality to the whole affair.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    I find it interesting (and I know why) that so many hardcore PT defenders are the pretty much exclusive group on the internet that are "not confident" in JJ's abilities. Or they worry about the quality of Episode VII. I mean I know really why they are worrying and it has nothing to do with the skill behind it. But it is interesting. I remember seeing the avatar on here from a hardcore PT defender saying "Star Wars 1977-2012".

vinsanity, Dra---, Heero_Yuy and 2 others like this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Let me know when we begin breaking down his usage of the word "such". I am anxious to see what we can infer from his purposeful use of that word.

20. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002

"such" hmmmmmmm

I will go to the crime lab!!!

Dra--- likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    To the Bat Lair!

Dra--- and TheStorm like this.
  22. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Well, if we in America can harp over the usage of the word 'is', I'm sure SW fans have it within them to go down that rabbit hole as well. /lolclintonlewinsky

---

My feelings towards the PT are pretty well known by this point, so I won't go over them again. I will say that I'm happy that it seems, both through explicit comments and implicit actions, that JJ and company feel the same way. The proof will, of course, be in the final product, but I remain excited. I'm a fan of both modern Star Trek films, not because of their plots (let's face it, the '09 movie was pretty threadbare in that department, plus the idiotic "I can see Vulcan from here" moment), but because their characterization and directing (sans lens flare). Since JJ isn't writing the story, he can focus on his strengths - getting sufficient emotion and humanity out of the actors for a blockbuster film, and giving us interesting visuals.

For me, feeling 'real' is exactly what a fantastic epic needs to do to keep it relatable. When you have aliens, spaceships, and superpowered space samurai, there needs to be something that acts as a tether to the viewer. And JJ, from what I've seen, seems pretty competent at not letting an epic story forget that people exist at the street level.

Dra--- and FinleySlade like this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This. All the talk about Jar Jar being the pivitol, breakthrough, animated character always annoyed me, because I always thought Watto was, by far, the better character. In fact, Watto is one of my favorite characters from the PT.

24. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I love Watto. I think he's a great character. Totally up there with any of the aliens in the OT.

Dra--- and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_rofl]
    Overreacting much? I mean, what DID you read into this?
    In fact, I fail to see what anyone reads into this that actually tell them anything except that he wants the film to feel real - you know, like the earlier Star Wars films. He didn't diss any of the earlier films with this remark. Quite the opposite actually.
    This is what he said, for those who have forgotten this amongst the countless unfounded conclusions that have been drawn from it:

What is it that makes you sick to your stomach about this off-hand remark?

To have fantastical films such as Star Wars feel real is quite essential, because otherwise you're only watching effects, not the story, not the characters. Now, some feel this is the case with the PT. Some feel this is the case with the OT. Some with both. Some with neither.
    I sure as hell hope it's not the case with the ST.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.