Discussion So J.J. Abrams wants Star Wars to feel real.

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by PrincessKenobi, Sep 20, 2013.

1. ManaByte Chosen One

star 4
    What Abrams meant by this was that the Original Trilogy had a gritty "lived in" look to it that made everything look like a real place. Lucas' reasoning for this was that technology didn't really advance under the iron grip of the Empire so everyone just used what they still had and everything ended up looking lived-in.

During the Prequel time period, it was a more refined time before the Empire. That means everything was kept up well and looked slick and very Flash Gordon-like.

Abrams wants the Sequel Trilogy to reflect the lived in look of the Original Trilogy more. One can assume that even with the Empire gone, people won't bust out the floor buffers and paint to keep things up anymore.
  2. Diggs Force Ghost

star 4
    It's more than that though I think. It's not just the "grit" of the used universe, although clearly that's a part. I think it's about using every trick available to him as a story-teller to make the characters, the world and the story feel believable - and that is about more than just props and sets being beat up.
    TKT, TheStorm and KevinM1 like this.
  3. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Maybe what he actually means is that there will be actual historical characters running around ala Bill and Ted.
  4. Diggs Force Ghost

star 4
  5. Pfluegermeister Force Ghost

star 4
    "Want a Twinkie, Genghis Khan?" LOVED that film. :cool:
  6. TheStorm Force Ghost

star 4
    Ya it is more than just the grit. It's not just the visual of it it's how the characters interact with it. Even in the more "clean" look of Bespin, it still "felt" real because the actors gave the illusion and feel that they were walking around in Cloud City. And blue screen can hinder this at times, but in reality it is getting the actors to go beyond and have an emotional connection with the character to make us believe they are walking around in a world, and not a set. The problem with the PT at times was like when Natalie was talking to Ewan in Episode III about Anakin, and Natalie just looked awkward. Like she was an inch away from turning to the camera and saying "Am I doing it right George?" Because even Harrison said that GL just points to the script and says...."Just do that...it's right there what's the problem?" When Harrison and I think even GL has admitted he does not know how to work with actors very well. So especially when you are making a film in a fantasy galaxy, you have to work even harder with your actors to make that illusion that they feel at home, and like they are truly walking around in an alien world, not a set. With more contemporary films it's easier, but with these you need a director who can understand as Harrison put it "More to it than just reading lines". And to me that's what most the PT felt like was just the actors reading the lines as quickly as they could to get on with it. Rather than doing what actors are primarily suppose to do is create a character form an emotional level and help us connect to the story/world/situation.

Of course the set design and realistic feel of the SFX is a huge part of it, but I think more so it comes down to the actors being a part of the world rather than just saying their lines on a set. Truly acting so to speak. That's to me what I'm pretty sure is one of the elements JJ is talking about. Creating a real gravity feel is more with the characters than anything. Even Nolan was talking about that in that latest documentary about the TDK trilogy. And it was interesting because if the actors can believe they are in a world, so will the audience.
    FinleySlade likes this.
  7. Darth PJ Force Ghost

star 4
    Great little doc... could watch those all day. Yep - Kersh is on the money when he says "Star Wars is a fairytale".
    Interesting to note that Hamill's sword fight rehearsal comes across much faster than is does in the actual film... more reminiscent of the energy of the PT duels.
    FinleySlade likes this.
  8. David_Skywalker01 Force Ghost

star 3
    I love it how the Prequel fans start bashing as soon as the OT is used as the direction of the ST.

Seems like grasping at straws to me.
  9. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Last edited by eht13, Sep 26, 2013
  10. JediGirl_Angelina Force Ghost

star 3

Yeah, it looked so much more dynamic than in the final shot.

What I liked the most were the "paintings" that were edited later on into the shots.
    Darth PJ likes this.
  11. Grand_Moff_Jawa Chosen One

star 5
    Very cool video. I never saw that before now. :)
  12. Sith-Mullet Force Ghost

star 3
    I wonder if J. J. will go as far as polyester fabric, 1977 style, to keep it real. :)
  13. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    Don't forget the sideburns. In ANH, everybody had sideburns. Are we to believe that this was the only period in the history of the GFFA in which sideburns were trending?
  14. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    Personally, I don't like the new and supposedly "more real" design of the X-34. Could be a Disney influence.

[IMG]
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.