main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST So Luke went from hero to zero, runs away and hides?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by redavnikana, Dec 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redavnikana

redavnikana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2004
    I don't like how Luke ended up, looking like such a tool. Yoda and Obi Wan did the same thing, what is up with these Jedi? OK, Yoda was old, give him a pass, but I'm to believe Luke failed training young Ben, and that weak emo Darth wannabe forced Luke to turn tail and hide? Ouch.

Luke just comes off looking like a loser, he was the hero and should have been honored as such, should have went down in battle, not running and hiding.

Destroys the good ending in ROTJ, Sure hope he does something amazingly cool to redeem himself.

What am I missing? Luke and Han were huge heroes we had, how bad does this tarnish the history of the OT? is Luke still considered a hero to you guys?

2. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    It's called not the end of his story

3. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    This thread won't last long I'm afraid.

4. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    Did you know that things often seem... incomplete.... when the full story is not known?

5. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    While it sounds bad, I'd like to think the screenwriters have a good explanation up their sleeves. Maybe he went to find the first Jedi Temple because he believed finding it would aid him in defeating Snokes, or in turning Ren back from the Dark Side (although, for my part, now that Kylo Ren has killed my beloved Han, there is no redemption possible). Maybe he has someone hiding with him that he's protecting. Whatever it is, I'm going to believe there's a good reason.I can wait although 17 months does seem like a long torture...

6. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Well Luke's always been kind of a loser.

He's doing exactly what makes sense for his character.

7. redavnikana

Mar 13, 2004
    Hope so, I am really not liking all these Jedi hiding when things go wrong, it's just not at all like Luke's character from the OT.

I like your idea, way better to think he went looking for the first Jedi Temple to put things right, maybe when he gets there he finds Snoke...oooo

8. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Lukes actions helped bring 15 years of general peace throughout the galaxy. Nothing lasts forever.

9. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Or longer... I get the impression the FO was laying low until just before TFA.

10. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    This has been debated to death for the last 2 years...I'm against Luke's story heading to E8 but its whatever now

11. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    The Luke pity party is being held in the Luke Skywalker thread.

12. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    Pretty sure he had a target on his back. Showing up at his sister's base would probably guarantee the First Order blowing it up. Or anyone else who tried to help him. He was doing what he always did, putting distance between him and his friends to keep them safe. Did it in ROTJ, and he did it now. No big.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  13. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Yoda and Obi-Wan went into hiding not to run, but to patiently bide their time.

A Jedi does not foolishly rush into battle.

14. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    Well, If Obi felt it when Alderaan was destroyed........
    After several planets were destroyed by the FO the ending of this movie should've been Luke flying through space by using the force then destroying the weapon with one punch.

15. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Luke may be a Jedi, but he is also human. If you felt responsible for ruining your sister's son, knowing that training him in the first place put a rift between his mother and his father, who was a good friend of yours, you'd probably be rather devastated.

16. KenMasters34

KenMasters34 Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    Yeah, but to go into hiding or meditation for 10+ years is a bit much, especially if you feel at fault. Perhaps he should have done something about it.

Remember when Luke left training with Yoda early, because he felt Leia and Han were in trouble? I couldnt see that Luke running and hiding/meditating for 10+ years.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  18. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Obi Wan never looked like a tool to me. I really can't say that I ever thought Yoda was a tool, as well... As far as Luke is concerned I'm just excited to see him come back. The light side of the force has always served its purpose. Up until this point the dark side has never won, the light side has always brought balance back to the force... Obi Wan, served his purpose until the end. Yoda did as well... Luke will too...

Everything happens for a reason, the force flows through everything...

I don't think that Luke is a tool, and I think that he's part of something much greater and that his story is far from over... In the end Obi Wan and Yoda did not make any mistakes...regardless of the path, their fate, destiny was clear in the end and they served a much greater purpose...

Luke may have "went into hiding"... but to call him a tool or to see his role as insignificant is likely very foolish and short sighted.

19. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I like this! There's obviously more to Luke's story and I can't wait to see him with a lightsaber again.

20. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    Well, Abrams did say in an article , the FO was like the Nazi's secretly rebuilding in South America. And Luke while becoming a commander in the OT,
    seemed to have only become a real leader in his new canon NJO. Which was destroyed by Ren and the FO. Rey's force vision and the trailer presumably shows
    the backflash scenes which will probably be explained in Ep8. So Luke, just like Obi-wan, and Yoda went into hiding after their "failures". Yoda probably being the biggest dupe.
    He is so full of regret in ESB. Now Luke has to experience this similar phase of the cost of being a jedi.It's like they pulled more ideas from the EU like the last series of books "Fate of the Jedi",
    where popular sentiment was trying to be manipulated to think the idea of jedi was bad for the galaxy.

21. vaderfandan

vaderfandan Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2004
    Some will continue to justify why the Jedi spend so much time running and hiding, but it is what it is. Yoda, Ben, and now Luke. Not a fan of this development at this point. "Anakin is a Sith? Oh no! Run!" "Han's son turned to the Dark Side? I'm outta here!" Sad but true.

TheMasterOfSoresu and leiamoody like this.
  22. redavnikana

Mar 13, 2004
    I agree, it's over 10 years, sure you got to be mindful and not go bat sh** crazy, but Luke was very powerful, and Ren is not that powerful, at least not yet. I just hope they clear this up because now it looks like he was punked by a Vader wannabe with severe emotional issues.

Hopefully Luke went searching for something big, a game changer that took him years to find and now he has the answers.

I have my doubts, I think he will go out like Obi Wan, as will leia. I loved the movie but writers are kinda crushing the OT while building a new generation of heroes and I don't think that was necessary. Luke,Han and leia should be honored, kill them off but do it with dignity.

We shall see, I have hope for Luke yet.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  23. LORD_BINX

LORD_BINX Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    George designed the character of Luke to be a "far left" thinker. In other words, what you or I think would be the best and most entertaining way to see him do to handle the situation, is probably far from what Luke would do, and surprisingly, the story ends up being more interesting as a result. Luke found out his dad was a cyborg mass murderer who helped kill the entire jedi order and who works for the evil emperor (who's an even bigger mass murderer) and Luke's first unflinching reaction is to redeem his dad. Who knows what the character has up his sleeve.

alko, El_Machete12 and appleseed like this.
  24. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Luke has always been selfless, and if you remember in ROTJ, he held his family and friends above anything else, nearly turning to the dark side to "protect" them.

He separated himself from Leia and the gang on Endor because he knew his presence endangered them.

Though we don't know the full story, it seems to be the case again, with the Knights of Ren amd the First Order hunting him down, it makes sense to separate himself from friends so they do not become endangered, especially when he is still reeling from the death of his Jed trainees and the turn of his nephew, causing a rift in his family that he never wanted. It makes sense that he takes a step back to recuperate and seek knowledge from the ancient Jedi Temple, while seemingly tying to protect his friends, just like in Jedi.

Of course, he is human and not a super hero, so he may need to be nudged back into the fight after such a loss, and thats what Rey does.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  25. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.