main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST So Luke went from hero to zero, runs away and hides?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by redavnikana, Dec 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The story is only 1/3 complete, so it's too early to tell anything at this point.

There are any number of plausible reasons for why Luke left. Also, the last time that Luke rushed in to try and help his friends, was in ESB. Obi Wan and Yoda both warned him not to do it, but he didn't listen and it ended in near-disaster. Leia and co escaped all on their own and all he managed to do was get his butt kicked by Vader, lose a hand, and nearly die. Heck Leia and co ended up having to rescue HIM. So perhaps he's learned his lesson since then.

Or perhaps he feels like he can "help" in another way, hence his apparently searching for the first Jedi Temple.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

:mad:[face_not_talking]

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    He's going to be one hell of a Hero in EP8.....

nightangel likes this.
  4. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    No, Luke went in search of the first Jedi temple. He is still a hero not a zero.

5. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Well, to tell the truth, nothing about what Obi-wan and Yoda did make sense. If they were just trying to keep the babies safe, it makes sense to let Bail keep one, but why did they bother taking Luke to a butthole desert planet like Tatooine, and giving him to Vader's relatives? What if Sidious had asked Vader to kill his remaining relatives?

If they planned on training the babies so they would one day help defeat Vader and Sidious, why did they let them grow without training and without knowledge of their powers and their mision until they were adults? Shouldn't Obi-wan have settled with Luke somewhere in the Outer Rim and raised him as his son?

And if they weren't planning to use the babies against Sidious and Vader, why didn't they do anything against the Empire on their own? They could have sought and trained other Force sensitives, started a new Jedi Order plus Resistance Group, starting in some remote corner of the Galaxy. That way, by ABY 1 they would have more than one Jedi to rely on.

And if Yoda had to hide at Dagobah because its Dark Force nexus helped conceal him from Sidious... what about Obi-wan? He wasn't close to a Dark Side nexus... how come Sidious never sensed his location? He wasn't so important as Sidious, but he was still a threat, and he was a lead that could help find Yoda, so, why didn't Sidious search and find him?

EDIT: As for Luke, I think the only reasonable motives for his extended exile would be that he felt himself falling to the Dark Side, so he sought that Jedi planet in the hopes of stopping his fall and reconnecting to the Light Side. Afterwards he got stuck there for some reason. Maybe his starship crashed and he couldn't leave. Maybe he failed to reconnect to the Light Side and is mostly powerless now. Maybe he died when he crashed on that planet and he's a Force Ghost now.

6. redavnikana

redavnikana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2004
    I hope you guys are right, but I have a bad feeling about this.
    I'll be happy if he was searching for the temple, but he really left his friends in a mess..they better have a great excuse for Luke leaving, I mean his best friend Han, oh geez. Ben is such a punk, I mean how did he get over on Jedi master Luke?

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  7. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Simple because it's the last place that Vader or Sidious would have looked. Anakin didn't know Lars that well, and also it was the one place that he didn't want to return to because of how deep his connection to that place was. His mother died there, he learned he was going to be a jedi there, his good side was there. That was going to be the last place he would go looking. Sidious did not see any threat in Lars or his wife for the main reason that they had no deep connection to Anakin. They were just nice people that happened to be step siblings to him. No threat there, a bunch of moisture farmers in the middle of no where, what harm could they cause an Empire?

Firstly, given what happened to Anakin and training him at the age they did Yoda probably thought it would cause more trouble. On top of that, if they did train them, Luke or Leia would have to know what happened and, at too young an age, they probably would have run off to kill Sidious for screwing with their mom and dad. As adults they could make more serious decision based on facts rather then rash emotions. Obi-wan still had a lot to learn, as Yoda pointed out in the end, that was why Qui-gon's ghost was going to teach him. He needed to be ready for Luke, and when Luke was ready things fell into place. Leia had more knowledge about the situation given that her father must have told her about Obi-wan and his role in everything. That's why she was calling to him to help her. That's why she sent R2 out to find him. Raising Luke as a son would cause even greater conflict for Luke as it becomes, "You lied to me about being your son." sort of situation which could have made it easy for him to turn to the Dark.

You do realize the size of the Empire? If they tried anything they would have been wiped out. That's why any Jedi that was alive went into hiding, to regroup and figure things out. How do you know friend from foe? How would they keep it secret? There were a lot of people that were playing a huge political game and given that their order was being sought after and there was money on the table and other things given to organizations like the Black Suns, the bounty hunters, and the Hutts, for turning over such information, crafting an order would have been difficult. Look how long it took the rebel cell units to unite under one banner, and we saw what happened to Alderran due to it's involvement. I don't think either Obi-wan or Yoda would have been willing to sacrifice lives unless they had a chance of winning. True enough, but how do we know there weren't more Jedi out there? We're seeing now with Ezra that there were some Jedi still around, I'm pretty sure there were more in the ranks, it's just that Luke had a connection with his dad that made things work differently. I'm sure that we'll get more info about other Jedi in the next movie, tv series, books, games, etc. that comes out. Heck we saw some of that with Starkiller and that's still cannon.

Sidious never saw Obi-wan as anything to fear. Obi-wan was still a padawan the way Sidious saw him, that's why Maul was told to basically target Jinn. Obi-wan probably also learned to keep his powers down, Sidious wasn't about to go looking for Obi-wan as, again, of the two yoda was the more powerful and the one that had the skills to beat him. That's what he was scared of. Sidious probably did send out a smaller search, and when he didn't locate him at first, he just figured, "eh, not a threat." given that a vast majority of the Jedi were dead at that point and Obi-wan wasn't the sort to rally up some great group. That's probably why he didn't go looking for him. Again he saw him as a small fish.

8. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015

Easy way to explain it is that he had to go in search for something to make him stronger. Whatever the heck Snoke did to the jedi he did it hard and fast. I think finding your pupils and possibly your wife murdered by your nephew is a pretty good reason to go and try to figure out what to do next. Unlike with Vader this isn't a simple case of calling on a father's instincts, this is more a case of "How do I get to someone who clearly thinks he's doing the right thing". Ben is convinced he's in the right here, and because of that you can't persuade him to think "Oh maybe I was being tricked," the same way Luke did for Vader. There's a lot more to it then simply Luke being Punked. I'm betting that the reason Ben is being used is because Luke managed to get Vader to kill the Emperor, this is the FO's way of paying him back for that.

Straudenbecker likes this.
  9. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    I mean, thats exactly what Obi-Wan and Yoda did while the Empire was ruling the galaxy so.

10. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015

no, he isn't. this isnt his trilogy, this isnt his movie and neither will 8. He might very likely do something heroic...like sacrifice himself to save others ala Obi-Wan, or something of that ilk, but he isnt going to be "one hell of a hero". It would be like Yoda replacing Luke's scenes on Bespin in ESB...it doesnt work, Yoda is not the star of this show. Luke is going to train, exposition the hell out of some missing information we're all waiting on, and provide angsty plot framework for the new hero(s) to carry out and deal with in their own ways. But anyone expecting Luke to be "one hell of a hero!" should probably just watch ROTJ again.

11. IG Lancer

Feb 8, 2015
    The Sith have a long history of making their apprentices kill their loved ones or those they are beholden to in order to sink them into the Dark Side even more. Sidious had Anakin kill the younglings. He could have made himgo to Tatooine kill Shmi's family precisely because that would cause him great anguish and make him fall deeper into the Dark Side. Even if Sidious didn't do that, Yoda and Obi-wan knew enough about the Sith to see that was something that could happen.

Anakin's problem was that he started to train too late, not too soon.

Obi-wan would have to reveal the truth gradually, indoctrinating him and hammering into his head that it was his life's purpose and mission.

Do you realize that a Resistance group eventually defeated the Empire? That a group led by Obi-wan rescued Leia from the Death Star? That Luke, an untrained Force sensitive was the one who blew the first Death Star?

Obi-wan and Yoda could have trained some people, and by the Battle of Yavin they could have joined the Rebellion with a few more Jedis, and they could have done that and much more.

As I said, Obi-wan was a lead to Yoda. Sidious should have looked for him in order to torture and interrogate him.

12. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    You know what I like?

When characters are one-dimensional, God-like, can do no wrong and don't have any narrative journey.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  13. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Thing is though, did Anakin see them as "Family"? Sure his mother married Lars's father, but other then that he really didn't show any emotional connection to them. He was more worried about his mother and didn't really seem to interested in his now step brother. Killing them wouldn't have progressed him to the Dark side, it wouldn't have really hurt him. Killing the kids did because they were children, killing Lars Owen would not have given him anymore feelings. Shmi was dead, so any thing that would have connected him to Lars was gone, and Anakin probably didn't see that as much of a connection. I don't even think he called Lars brother at all. That's probably why Obi-wan also lived out around the house and clearly he visited enough that Lars knew of him and warned Luke to stay away from him. It wasn't until the droids became an issue that anyone in the Empire cared about Lars and his wife.

It seemed more that he was still a child, rather then younger then that. Too old to be shaped, to young to not have control over his understanding of emotions and the like. I think that's why Obi-wan waited on Luke, also it seemed that Lars kept the two apart. He may have wanted to train him sooner but Luke was kept away from him.

Yet the problem with that would have been that Luke needed to figure out his own way of doing things. They tried that with Anakin, pushed him to the "Chosen" aspect, and he got warped because of it. Luke was raised differently, by different people, hammering it into him wasn't going to work, he needed to want to do it. That's why Yoda didn't want him to leave during ESB, he wasn't ready, and Luke thought he was.

Yes a Resistance group, that had a larger, more organized fleet. Mind you in two films they were running and it was only in the third after a lot of stuff had gone down, that they were able to pull a victory. Yes I do realize that Obi-wan lead them to the Death Star to rescue Leia, that Luke pulled a saving throw for the rebels and that they could have trained other Jedi. However again, if they created a large force Palpatine would have swooped in and caused massive problems for them.

In Rebels we see the Inquisitors going after kids, they kill them. Adults that have that power are either captured to become inquisitors under Vader, or they're killed. Yoda's way to old to be trying to do that, also that's not his sort of thing. Obi-wan probably could have, but he was busy watching over Luke, and all other Jedi were in hiding. Again we can't say for sure that there weren't other cells with Jedi out there training, just that in this case Obi-wan and Yoda weren't doing it.

Yoda was seen as a weak old fool, as per how Sidious saw him. He figured after he bested him and was in control of everything, he wouldn't have to worry about him. Age or something else, would kill him eventually. Sidious was more worried about Vader taking over and training someone. It's typical of Siths. Palpatine had a whole system to rule, he's not thinking about one little green jedi, and that's partly what proved his downfall.

14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    There's a lot we still do not know about Luke. But, at the same time there are a lot of clues. Luke trained Kylo which has somehow resulted in Kylo turning to the dark side. It's unclear on what made him turn but the presence of the Vader helmet does provide some insight. It is likely that Luke is running because of the guilt of having failed Kylo as both a mentor and an uncle. To an extent, it's possible that this "failure" (if indeed Luke feels that he was wrong in his teachings) strained and damaged the relationship he had with Han and Leia. So, if you feel that he looks like a "loser", maybe that's a reflection about how he sees himself because he wishes there was something more he could have done and is now ultimately powerless.

15. IG Lancer

Feb 8, 2015
    It doesn't matter if Sidious didn't bother try to find Yoda. Yoda expected Sidious to look for him, because, why would he hide at Dagobah otherwise?

Yoda hid because he expected Sidious to seek him. And he expected Sidious to seek him he should expect Sidious to seek Obi-wan too, in order to use him to find Yoda. And if Sidious finds Obi-wan, he comes dangerously close to find Luke.

Anyways, there probably is some PT thread we could discuse it in. This is a TFA thread, and we are going to be scolded if we keep it going.

16. LORD_BINX

LORD_BINX Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2005

Obi-Wan didn't have Fabio locks. The 80s Fabio hair instantly scored Luke a strong helping of tool points. After he gets the Jedi Order straight he might just get the band back together too.

Zikri and Yodahasgreenfeet like this.
  17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    sorry, but everything was destroyed and taken from Luke and he with the help of Rey has to restored it. It is still his trilogy as much as the OT was still Anakin's. If the writers reduce him to no importance I will be done with such a fanfiction. So please Rian save us from such terrible stories. [face_praying]

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  18. Carth Solo

Carth Solo Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2015
    I think Luke always had dominant personality traits of his mother Padme, he was always the more sensitive and gentle natured one of the twins (only way to get him really angry and show off his father's strong side is when you threaten those he loves), and the one who has a big heart and feelings and really take things to heart, and there was always a sense of melancholy and prone to get periods of sadness and depression, especially when things go horribly wrong, so Im not surprised that he went into isolation and solitude after what happened when he was trying to build a new Jedi Order and Academy and they got wiped out headed by his own nephew to boot. He blames himself deeply that his own nephew fell to the Dark Side and lead the massacre of the Jedi padawans Luke was training , so thats why he went into total isolation. He is utterly depressed right now, he feels like he failed them all, and with Luke, that is something that can truly hurt him inside, knowing he failed and couldnt protect the ones he loves and cares about. He couldnt adapt to the situation that had happened to him, it was just too much for him to bear and handle, so he isolated himself. That and I think he also had to run, I think that the Dark Side forces also wanted to destroy him because in doing so, they would destroy the last of the Jedi.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  19. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    I don't like how easily Jedi are broken. I like the idea you can't break a Jedi easily. Like a Jedi would have that never give up attitude, not the "Well a bunch of Jedi died. I quite."

I get it's a tragic scarring event, but still! I just feel Jedi should have stronger wills. I imagine Mace Windu,Anakin wouldn't hide in either scenario. (Anakin not being corrupted by the dark side poisoning his mind. Anakin, not Vader.)

nightangel and ChildOfWinds like this.
  20. kalowski

kalowski Jedi Knight

Sep 6, 2013
    I wonder if he's stranded?
    He could have been abandoned on his journey. We saw the falcon but no other ships. Unlikely, I know...

21. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Yoda and Obi-Wan did not go into hiding because Anakin was a Sith, they did so because the entire Republic had become an Empire that was hunting down and killing every single Jedi. It isn't exactly too far-fetched to believe that the Force was telling them there would be another opportunity to fight back.

22. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Uh, yeah, it's called "Wait for the next two movies to get his full story." We're just in the beginning.

23. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998

In the OT Luke succeeded by destroying the Sith and becoming the first Jedi Knight since the fall of the jedi.

Now he has to succeed as a jedi master and teacher of the force. That's a completely different assignment for Luke, and one we will see him succeed at in VIII and IX I am sure.

nightangel likes this.
  24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    When the three of them (Bail Organa was also there and privy to everything) go their separate ways, they do say "until the time is right" or something along those lines. So they likely were waiting for the right moment/opportunity to do something, or at least what they perceived to be the right moment/opportunity.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't like how the whole Jedi Order business went down but will wait until E9 is complete before judging.
    Need to know Luke's reasons, and how the whole thing went down.
    Luke's reasons will make or break the trilogy imo.

nightangel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.