main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So me and my friend are going to make a fan film.....

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by han_solo_321, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I want to have real saber effects and bluesreening.

we are just starting so anyone got any tips or ideas??

2. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Yes. Go to the turoials section, and pay close attention to stuff with the name Link64PD or Ryan Weiber. Or go the the films index and pay attention to the names Ryan Weiber and Michael Scott.

Shoo!

:p

I'm Fig, BTW. Welcome to this half of the site.

3. artofwot

artofwot Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2003
    Well... If you'd searched around this site at all (and noticing you joined in 2002) you wouldn't be asking this at all.

Visit Ryan-w.com for lightsaber blade tutorials, and I suggest After Effects 6.0 for Bluescreening (adobe.com).

Edit: Whoa! Fig! You came out of nowhere!

4. Darth-Cyrus

Darth-Cyrus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 7, 2004
    Try AlamDV2 for effects and Chromanator for greenscreening. These are good to get you used to greenscreening and other effects like sabers. These programs are easy and rather cheap. I do not recomend these for any major films unless you suck at AE and find you are great at Alam or Chromanator.

The website for both these programs is FX Home.

I think Jeremy West may hve used AlamDV for sabers in both Prodition and that other older one.(He has these movies at fxhome and you have to have used Alam or another product of theirs to post a movie.)

5. MENCER

MENCER Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2004
    i suggest you go down to your local hardware store and make real lightsaberz

6. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I suggest you quit now. If you're not smart enough to see that sticky thread right at the top that says "HOW TO MAKE LIGHTSABERS", then you're really not smart enough to make a decent script, act, and do any of the effects necessary to make a "real fan film".

I'd expect someone that's been around the boards since '02 and that has Ryan W on his WUL to know better.

7. Darth-Cyrus

Jan 7, 2004
    Ok I admit, the guy needed a reality check, but I think you might have been just a bit too harsh.
    CALM DOWN!!!

8. Jamball

Jamball Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2004
    I don't know, I kind of have to agree with VoijaRisa. This kid should learn to read the board before asking a question like this.

--Jamball

9. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Sorry to be harsh, but it's the way things are. If you don't have the patience to do a bit of reading, you'll never have the patience to sit there for hours on end and rotoscope a lightsaber.

10. Darth-Cyrus

Jan 7, 2004
    He just needs to learn how to roto fast (his sabers on his site look all squigily)Maybe he was in such a hury he forgot how to read!

11. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    My friend and I, my friend and I are going to make a fan film.

/Grammar Nazi

Not to be mean, but I can't take anyone's filmmaking prospects all too seriously when they mess up a simple phrase such as this one. :D

Edit: Added the necessary smiley disclaimer.

12. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I want to have real saber effects and bluesreening.

Don't we all.

13. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Tips? Sure!

Let's see.... (in no particular order)

1. Get a decent Camera
    2. Get a decent editing system
    3. Be able to creatively use those tools
    4. Write a good story around your saber duel fanfilm
    5. Get actors
    6. Get money
    7. Learn After Effects
    8. Make Costumes
    9. Get Actors
    10. Get a reliable crew
    11. Shoot the fanfilm
    12. Edit it
    13. Encode it
    14. Get a host (please hang yourself if you use Tripod or Geocities)
    15. Post the link so we can watch!

That's the nutshell list. Oh.. and make sure you announce your fanfilm when it is actually in production somewhere and that you are actually going to finish it. Lots of people post saying, "I'm going to make a fanfilm!" Then basically you never hear from them again.

Good luck with your project and please keep us updated on the progress of your feature!

14. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Please ignore any naysayers you see. They have been far too jaded by this board to have an optimistic outlook.

I highly recommend you read this entire article to get acquainted with the art of fanfilmmaking.

~Neszis~

15. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    I can't take anyone's filmmaking prospects all too seriously when they mess up a simple phrase such as this one

Inversely, are bad filmmakers horrible at grammar and spelling ?

Generalizations like this make me go [face_plain].

Listening to you guys (Voija, Rogue, Jamball), this place should be read-only ? What happened to the community of people helping each other out ? It would have taken you the exact same amount of time to post helpful links, or just simple information.
    Heck, you could have posted a link to the tutorials thread (example), it would have been essentially the same thing you said, only a little more helpful.

Han_solo-

If you're starting out, it's not a bad idea to have a look at AlamDV and its possibilities.

When you feel confident enough, you can have a go at lightsabers in Photoshop or After Effects.

There are demos of these programs if you want to understand the basics by experimenting. Adobe.com)

16. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    I meant to have a :D on the end of my post there, oops.

I was merely pointed out the fact that if he's going to be writing a screenplay he needs to pay attention to grammar. I'm not saying he can't make it, in fact I wish him the best. No one deserves to be shot down like that.

Go for it man, and remember, have fun. That's all that really matters. Don't listen to all the Negative Ned's here. :p

17. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    What happened to the community of people helping each other out ?

I'm all for a community of people helping. But only when help is really needed.

And as for posting helpful links here's one.

And here's another one.

18. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    You're right, Voija. This fellow already knows enough about filmmaking. Let's take our talents elsewhere, new people already know plenty.

[face_plain]

~Neszis~

19. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Well I'm sorry, guys. I didn't post what I had above to be nasty at all. In a nutshell that's kinda what you need to do.

I know a good search on the threads about this would be good too since there are quite a few that ask this question.

I don't doubt everyone on these boards either, guys. I believe everyone is capable if they really put their mind to it and I do wish this person the best in making their film. The new thread was pretty vague in asking what they need. It sounded like they need to know from A to B what things they need.

Also, c'mon, folks. You can't pretend that you haven't seen this posted question frequently. Maybe make a sticky topic (if there already isn't one) about "So you want to make a fanfilm" or something. Maybe after typing this I'll see that topic... anyway...

In all sincerety for advice, I say once you come up with your idea, look into the things you feel you will be able to do and do the best with what you have. It is all definitely a learning experience, but you'll get better as you go along and things will get easier in the process the more you do it. Just get whatever resources you can off the internet for techniques of shooting and framing and lighting and just get out there and go for it! :)

20. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    No worries, nien, no one was referring to you. You were very helpful, not nasty at all.

~Neszis~

21. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Why do I get the feeling of sarcasm? hmmm.. Well I will just assume you meant that. :D

22. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Neszis isn't being sarcastic at all nien. His [face_plain] was meant for me.

Basically it boils down to this. I'm tired of new people coming in saying, "hey, I'm willing. Teach me how to do everything."

All the knowledge they need is right here. The tutorials link at the top of the page, the thread in big capital letters that was created just so we wouldn't have newbies starting threads asking how to make lightsabers, google.... It's not like this information is hard to find. If someone has to come and ask such basic questions, they're just plain lazy.

Lazy people don't make fan films. That and I don't take kindly to lazy people. Since I've been here, several new people have come in (especially recently) with projects near completion, having read everything they need. Sure they'll start threads going "How do I do this more complex effect". But these people aren't lazy and they have my full respect.

As far as a sticky thread saying "SO YOU WANT TO MAKE A FANFILM...", I think that's a great idea. And then if someone isn't smart enough to read that, then it should be ban worthy.

23. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Nien: I'm really not sarcastic! Your post really was what we do in a nutshell...that's helpful if I ever saw it.

Voija: You're right, but the way we solve that is not to yell at them. You're acting as if if we tell one newbie the way to do it, the knowledge should somehow disperse between the rest of them and the rest should know. Now, granted, it's a bit annoying. However, if one is to learn, one asks questions. It's a primary instinct. We need to embrace newbies, not yell at them for stupidity. If we cursed someone every time they did something wrong, there would be no good parents in the world. It's all about understanding and tolerance (not the racial kind).

~Neszis~

24. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    So how are you going to make this fanfilm?

ARE YOU GOING TO ILLIEGALLY DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE

YEAH THAT'S RIGHT! PIRATE

PIRATE PIRATE WAREZ LOVING PIRATE BAN HIM NOW!!!

BAN HIM FOR THE GOOD OF THE COMMUNITY!!!

25. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Although my ways may seem a bit backwards to you, you'll notice in my first post, I did point out the thread on how to make lightsabers, and that reading is required. I'm not as nice about it as some people but I think I get the point across that EVERYONE on this forum would like people to read.

When there's such easy resources (like thread titles in all caps), I don't feel it necessary to be necessary even the first time. If you do, that's your choise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.